A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Fritag  I do hope you will come back even just to say hello. Life can get in the way of modeling and even if something has not gone right with the Hawks we still admire your skills and inspiration to others.

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And lets face it, it couldn't be as bad as my Sabre 4 ............. could it? 🤕

You do walk into these things Terry...……….

Martian 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Something like this perhaps?

beautiful-royal-bangladesh.jpg

Martian 👽

Tell you what Martian, that looks like the type of place that does a cracking curry, the ones you know are genuine because all the local Indian population will happily travel for miles to eat there.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of curry, 'cos let's face it Steve isn't using this thread at the moment, has anyone tried the King Cobra beer? Lovely stuff but at 8% and coming in what is basically a wine bottle you only need to order one for washing down a nice curry ;) 

• Haha 3

On 11/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, Col. said:

While we're on the subject of curry, 'cos let's face it Steve isn't using this thread at the moment, has anyone tried the King Cobra beer? Lovely stuff but at 8% and coming in what is basically a wine bottle you only need to order one for washing down a nice curry ;) 

Like the sound of that.  Seen normal Cobra but not noticed the King Cobra version.  Bit at a Supermarket near me according to the Interwebbynetty thing.  I detect a plan forming....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

Like the sound of that.  Seen normal Cobra but not noticed the King Cobra version.  Bit at a Supermarket near me according to the Interwebbynetty thing.  I detect a plan forming....

Only place I've seen it outwith a local and rather nice Indian restaurant where it was first recommended to me is Morrisons supermarket. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Tell you what Martian, that looks like the type of place that does a cracking curry, the ones you know are genuine because all the local Indian population will happily travel for miles to eat there.

As luck would have it we have the best Curry House in Dorset (official) less than half a mile from Martian Towers. 🤤

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Spooky, when I saw that it made me think of six pints of Stella and a Chicken Vindaloo!

Terry

If Steve doesn't pull his finger out, we may have to redecorate his thread with the results of the same! :toilet:

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Leave the alcohol free Cobra alone though; its almost as bad as drinking Irn Bru! :puke:

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

As luck would have it we have the best Curry House in Dorset (official) less than half a mile from Martian Towers. 🤤

Leave the alcohol free Cobra alone though; its almost as bad as drinking Irn Bru! :puke:

Excellent news! Every man and woman needs a good curry house within walking distance of their home. It's part of what makes us British by jove ;) 

Just what is the point of alcohol-free beer anyway!?! I mean, what's the point, where's the fun in that?

Although worse is alcohol-free cider; that's just over-priced apple juice!

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

Just what is the point of alcohol-free beer anyway!?! 

None: its the most pointless thing devised by man since the book "How to Learn French" was translated into French.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Okay - so where was I?........... :whistle::blush: 

You just turn away for a moment, and a whole year's gone by……..

Mind you; I think this thread is rather more interesting without me……..It certainly has a life of its own independent of me.  Bit like a snotty teenager leaving home.....

I can but offer a heartfelt  Mea culpa.

I neither made a decision to take a break from the hawks nor from BM itself.....but after Telford last year I didn't have any spare time for a few weeks.....and then I thought I'd better tidy away the modelling stuff - just for a bit, so as not to annoy the wife - and then........well, I didn't like to post smart-ar*e comments on other folks builds without offering my own work to be laughed at - so I sort of kept quiet and then it wos now :blush:

On 11/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, perdu said:

Come on Steve tell us about your summer

Oh go on then; seeing as the last few pages of this thread has had nowt to do with Hawks anyways (or me for that matter :))....... 

A brief summary of the Fritag non-modelling year would have to include:

A few skiing trips :D  Including skiing the Vallee Blanche from Courmayeur to Chamonix.  Which I'm afraid began with a bit of a muppetry........(:unsure: me in blue and yellow)_

fullsizeoutput_a20_zpso878yarl.jpeg

I wos taken out guv!  Honest!

But things got better :) (It's not me as has fallen over this time.....)

57ACD906-4CC1-47B7-8A69-3D4C535B2A49_zps

Andalusia (this is the gardens of the Alcazar in Cordoba)

IMG_7406_zpscgormzbk.jpg

Some Mountain Biking in the Cairngorms.  Bit bumpy for an old codger like me.

976A9706-DABE-44CD-B15E-314473B713F8_zps

Cycling in the Azores.  That's more like it...........Even with the hills.  We should've known that a volcanic rock in the middle of the Atlantic would be hilly.....

9D1693A8-58C5-4760-A62E-7BF6C911CC9B_zps

Walking in the Shetlands; with a couple of days spent on Fair Isle - awesome.  And there are the remains of a crashed Heinkel 111 still visible.

7450304F-6CBD-4CEC-A7CD-C5FD4A098401_zps

Cycling the canal tow paths from Edinburgh to Glasgow (and back):

IMG_9212_zpsbg7mhdbi.jpg

Walking in the Alps; from Chamonix, near Mont Blanc.

Achingly beautiful.  This is a view on the walk from Montenvers to the Aiguille du Midi cable car mid station.

IMG_9390_zpsjfryhqik.jpg

And just Last week, cycling in the Lake District....It rained a fair bit....but it was worth it.  This is Wastwater, and anyone who's climbed Scafell Pike will be familiar with it.

IMG_2368_zpsmfeuvb9y.jpg

Oh.

And last weekend I had a go in this.....

IMG_9810_zpspt7h6cvq.jpg

The brother of a friend of mine is an ex Phantom/F3 Nav; and he bought (yes) the carcass of an old F3 Sim when the MOD was getting rid.......

He's combined it with a powerful PC and sophisticated flight simulator software plus a virtual reality headset.   And Bob's your uncle!

I've never barrel rolled an F3 around a TU-95 bear before.....

And for the first time in more than 30 years  I took a Hawk at low level down the A5 pass in North wales.

Now I'm not at all knowledgeable about flight-sims - but I was gob-smacked at how good the graphics were and how realistic it seemed with a VR headset on.

Mrs F and I also visited the old RAF Neatishead for an open day in September, where she met up with some old Fighter-Control buddies and reminisced over day spent in the Nuclear Bunker during the cold war......

There's a RAF Colitshall Room in the little museum at Neatished - and they have some of the scrap books that someone at Colt must have been deputed to keep all the press cuttings that mentioned Colt in.  I found an old article from when I took a local press photographer up.  He could have taken one of the front of my head!

IMG_9327_zpsxnw845li.jpg 

And less amusingly some earlier clippings:

IMG_9312_zpssgypkh98.jpg

Speaking of Hawks.   I've sort of forgotten where I've got to with Airfix's finest...........

IIRC The pair of them are in this state.

fullsizeoutput_c22_zpsrmtg9uqw.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c2f_zpsxd8fziw0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c2e_zpsruwgd8yi.jpeg

Remember all them HGW positive rivets?  Merely an echo of Crisp's epic Sea King riveting of course :)  (Has he finished the Sea King?)

fullsizeoutput_c24_zps5ftm00ao.jpeg

There are a bunch of sub assemblies already done.

fullsizeoutput_c1e_zps04eszoy4.jpeg

Some home brew etch to go on:

fullsizeoutput_c1f_zps8qyxupse.jpeg

I think I was working on the coamings when things ground to a halt.

fullsizeoutput_c1d_zpsbtipz7mz.jpeg

And the work station got tidied up.

fullsizeoutput_c30_zpsghsfztq2.jpeg

There I have at least opened the work bench door!

Time is still in a bit short supply at the mo.  Mrs F's latest scheme is to get us out one night a week practising cross country skiing around a tarmac bike track in leeds on simulated cross-country skis with rollers on the bottom!  Madness......:D

But I promise that i will get back to some proper hobbying when I can.............

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

It's him! Look, over there! Quick, let's get a selfie… :D

Welcome back Steve! You've been missed.

What an update… skiing, cycling, walking - these things I know from nothing. Hawks though - now I remember… all that beautiful work ready to be restarted.

Can't wait…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fritag said:

fullsizeoutput_c1e_zps04eszoy4.jpeg

Welcome back indeed, and a very informative update! That's a neat idea for storing components, but they do remind me of specimen jars, just a tad.............😁

Terry

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Fritag said:

and then I thought I'd better tidy away the modelling stuff - just for a bit, so as not to annoy the wife -

First of all, welcome back Steve.

We had started to worry about where you might be. But, since you're A-OK, we can all relax now.

The "wife" matter!!! Ah, I can't say that I know it, I have only heard about it (the nagging). My 'ex' on this matter was OK, though her mother and sister weren't!!! ("he's playing with toys")

Thank you for the photos. 

By the way, I'm thinking of buying a mountain bike, any advice on what I should be looking for?

Welcome back Steve!

Cheers

Shalako

Edited by Shalako

36 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Remember all them HGW positive rivets?  Merely an echo of Crisp's epic Sea King riveting of course :)  (Has he finished the Sea King?)

fullsizeoutput_c24_zps5ftm00ao.jpeg

No, he hasn’t!

Though you have to admire the brass neck of the question, coming in your first post since Pontius got his wings...

Great to see you back.  Since you appear to able to afford more time off than Rip van Winkle’s bunk light, clearly your fees are far too high.  You lawyers always were parasites on the jugular of the proletariat.

Nice rivets, by the way.

• Haha 10

Woohoohoo! The wanderer returns :D 

Looks as if you've had a great year so far on your travels Steve.

15 minutes ago, Shalako said:

By the way, I'm thinking of buying a mountain bike, any advice on what I should be looking for?

Now is a good time of year to buy a bike as most manufacturers have their 2019 stock coming through so shops are keen to move on the outgoing 2018 range and bargains can be had. My two pieces of advice are first, to think very carefully about where you not only want to go with the bike but also where you will actually go with the bike, then go to a small local shop staffed by enthusiasts who will happily spend hours talking you through the options for not just the bike but kit to go with it and then ensure it all fits you properly; the best bike in the world is useless if it does not suit your needs or fit you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I didn't like to post smart-ar*e comments on other folks builds without offering my own work to be laughed at -

Why? It's all many of us, well a few of us, well me, ever seem to manage to do! 

Welcome back Steve, you had more exercise last year than I've done in my life....

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2