A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

TVM. In truth it's on the KISS principle :)

How did you carve out those tiny little recesses for the actuators so neatly Steve?! :hypnotised:

I'd like to know that, too.

Low tech and old-fashioned stuff actually.

For the top hinge I just drilled a 0.5 or 0.7mm (I think) holes through the fin at the correct place and squared it off with the pointy tip of a sharp blade - and then just glued a tiny length of stretched sprue in the hole with Tamiya green cap.

For the bottom actuator I just used a small drill (0.7mm I think) but didn't drill all the way through, so that it left a nice neat depression, and then I gave it some straight sides using a 1mm micro-chisel. The actuator was just a couple of bits of stretched sprue that I refined with a fine sanding stick once the Tamiya green cap had completely dried.

The actuator on the trim tab was just a thin strip of 0.1mm card overlaid with some fine stretched sprue and again sanded gently once the Tamiya green cap had completely dried.

I like those little actuators. Is that double sided tape your using Steve? I find it quite useful as being transparent I can see where I've stuck it, then stick some insulation or dymo tape on top.

It's actually a modelling specific product called HiQ Parts carving guide tape. It's not bad; similar to Dymo tape but it's a bit more flexible and a bit more sticky and it doesn't have any irritating backing to remove.

• Like 7

Ah, it sounds so simple! Of course it isn't I've tried.. :weep:

Absolutely,I ain't tried it either,though when I want one of those black FRADU Hawks with ROYAL NAVY on the backend,

I know who I'll pester rescribe it for me :winkgrin:.

As the rest of the Massiv point out,these little rascals are so coming along really nicely.

You be crepe on IL2 Steve?,I don't think so. You're an ex-fighter(well,you know)jock and the rules are simple,there's only one infact,

shoot them down before they shoot you down.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve. I'm in full agreement with Leonl....!!

It's actually a modelling specific product called HiQ Parts carving guide tape. It's not bad; similar to Dymo tape but it's a bit more flexible and a bit more sticky and it doesn't have any irritating backing to remove.

That's another new one to me, from where does one purchase the said item...?!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. I'm in full agreement with Leonl....!!

That's another new one to me, from where does one purchase the said item...?!

Keith

A mistook I fear Keith

I keep buying clever stuff other people (You, Fritag, PC, Ced and other associated experten) recommend

I get less done playing practising with instead of model fettlising

Just a word to the wise ;)

(at the Sutton Modellers Show yesterday I bought one of those magical chisel devices, think I'll ever get anything done with it? I has me doots ye ken)

• Like 3

Bill: "I keep buying clever stuff other people recommend" is an easy habit to pick up. I mean, one only has to search for "HiQ Parts carving guide tape", just out of interest you know, and before you know it you find that lots of people have it, including places like ModelsRGo for under £6 where you can buy other stuff that might some in handy like seam scrapers and, oooh look "Airwaves - 1:72 Luftwaffe Mottle Masks" and clamps and paint and scribers and....

• Like 4

A mistook I fear Keith

I keep buying clever stuff other people (You, Fritag, PC, Ced and other associated experten) recommend

I get less done playing practising with instead of model fettlising

Just a word to the wise ;)

(at the Sutton Modellers Show yesterday I bought one of those magical chisel devices, think I'll ever get anything done with it? I has me doots ye ken)

I know what you mean, Bill - but even if you don't use your chisel for months, when you actually do you will realise why you got it. I bought mine almost 2 years ago, but only really used it in earnest got the first time a couple of weeks ago... and it is awesome

• Like 3

Bill: "I keep buying clever stuff other people" is an easy habit to pick up. I mean, one only has to search for "HiQ Parts carving guide tape", just out of interest you know, and before you know it you find that lots of people have it, including places like ModelsRGo for under £6 where you can buy other stuff that might some in handy like seam scrapers and, oooh look "Airwaves - 1:72 Luftwaffe Mottle Masks" and clamps and paint and scribers and....

Places like that are awfully browsable ain't they?

I know what you mean, Bill - but even if you don't use your chisel for months, when you actually do you will realise why you got it. I bought mine almost 2 years ago, but only really used it in earnest got the first time a couple of weeks ago... and it is awesome

Really sharp chisels are one of the most useful tools for modelling IMHO.

Much better and more controllable than a craft knife for removing unwanted bits of protruding plastic such as poorly moulded rib details etc., great for making or enlarging or reshaping holes such as intakes or vents and even useful as a scraper to square off edges etc. in deep or tight fighting spots. I've got a 1mm and a 2mm chisel and my only issues at the mo is how to resharpen them to get them back into as-new condition. If I can't get them razor sharp again I'll have to replace them they're that essential :)

Mr Hobby (I think) do a chisel with replacement blades - but I haven't found a uk stockist.

I've finish off the scribing of the rear fuselages now - no piccies as there's only another couple of lines.

I was a bit over-optimistic to think that the scribers could be put away as I've just realised that there's a whole bunch of lines just forward pf the flaps and ailerons on the underside of the wing that are missing from the Airfix mouldings:

7902f980b187e21aeffd42620c8cbb43_zpsrjpl

But they're all straight lines on a basically flat surface so with careful measuring and marking they shouldn't be difficult.

You know - when I started this build - when I was still a young man - I thought that it would be easier and quicker than the JPs cos - so my thinking went - the Airfix Hawk is a much newer moulding then the old Airfix JP5 and so I won't have so much to do and it won't need so much (if any) rescribing and so on and so on.

It ain't quite turned out that way. Self inflicted injury I guess :)

I saw from the thread started over on the Cold War forum that the Airfix 1/72 JP 3 was now on sale and I almost went online to order one - and then commonsense prevailed. Looking forward to the first WIPs on BM tho.

• Like 9

Me too, but you can't go back to the JP yet. Once these are safely done we all want to see you tackle a Jaguar or two...

S'funny - I nearly wrote: "Looking forward to the first WIPs on BM" - how about it Crisp - might it tempt you into 1/72? (after all if you can do a 1/350 boat......)

But then I figured you were gonna be busy for a while with the definitive Sea King :) (although I do myself have a greater fondness - and not a little gratitude - for the old girl when dressed in her yellow clothes).

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

"Places like that are awfully browsable ain't they?" They are... I had a search for replaceable [micro] chisels and found the "Mission Models Micro-Chisel" but a ) their website seems to have gone and b ) the replacements only seem to come in sets of three which kind of spoils the point (see what I did there?).

While browsing I ordered one of these though which, apparently, is "ideal for people who deal with modeling where you need a large number of small precision tools and accessories." That'll be me then... expect to see a much tidier bench in the near future.

• Like 1

I mean, one only has to search for "HiQ Parts carving guide tape", just out of interest you know, and before you know it you find that lots of people have it,

D'oh...!! Google really should have been my friend there, & would have been had I not been too dull to think of using it...!!

Ta Ced!

Keith

• Like 1

Absolutely,I ain't tried it either,though when I want one of those black FRADU Hawks with ROYAL NAVY on the backend,

I know who I'll pester rescribe it for me :winkgrin:.

I think it would burn his fingers if it was a Navy bird!

I see what's going on here... SWMBO places an embargo on us buying kits so we but gadgety tool/stuff instead!

• Like 2

"Places like that are awfully browsable ain't they?" They are... I had a search for replaceable [micro] chisels and found the "Mission Models Micro-Chisel" but a ) their website seems to have gone and b ) the replacements only seem to come in sets of three which kind of spoils the point (see what I did there?).

While browsing I ordered one of these though which, apparently, is "ideal for people who deal with modeling where you need a large number of small precision tools and accessories." That'll be me then... expect to see a much tidier bench in the near future.

They are indeed Ced...................but that can also lead to difficulties with the Finance Department :fuyou_2:

I think it would burn his fingers if it was a Navy bird!

I see what's going on here... SWMBO places an embargo on us buying kits so we but gadgety tool/stuff instead!

Soon sort him out with some sort of gloves Leonl :winkgrin: :winkgrin:,trouble is,he'd have to keep 'em partly in payment for said

re-scribing job and partly 'coz he'd see them as another gadgety tool/stuff item.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All,  I haven't been totally idle this last couple of weeks - but it's been mainly scribing and it's slow and careful going without a great deal to show for it on a daily basis.....

To begin with I've finished (I think) the scribing work on the wings.  More use of the HiQ tape:  

151ab3886d668e5aec3650ab6e22f62f_zpsirhf

Made a template to scribe the panel  around the wingtip nav lights.  I've just penciled in the are of actual light to show that that it'll be smaller and a different shape to the scribed panel:

af907ad5657fa5b56f6eb35f0021bfdc_zpskwcr 

Underside comparison with a spare kit.

b4eaa5517f103ce5ffe1ddc3c11fd872_zpsqbib

Topside comparison (not so much to see) - but I'm quite pleased with the hinge detail:

fa2835b047dc3b9ea71e505b4cb0ebad_zpsqskf

Excuse the misshapen blobs at the tips of the aileron.  I keep accidentally breaking off the pointed tips - so I've resorted to putting a blob of sprue goo on the tips - which I'll sand down to a nice sharp corner just before I prime it.  if I remember.....

Used this handy rounded fine saw and some blue vinyl tape - can't remember where I got the saw now - to take the panel lines around the wing leading edges:

887b72f481e65fcdfaabb339a46fea03_zpshqrs

341f0ff93fc716d78279797210e2ad15_zpsdbl0

Then I had a go at the rather distinctive tailplane pivot mechanism.  Seen here in the BM walk around:

http://www.britmodeller.com/walkarounds/aircraft/hawk/red arrows/The Red Arrows-0318.JPG

Scratched me head for a bit.  Then started by winding some 0.5mm x 0.5mm square rod around a craft knife - then dunked it in boiling water to fix the shape - then sliced the spiralled rod into half circle pieces;

ca200b6617481f2400e4301d5f4b1859_zpsdnhx

The stuck bits to the Hawks:

a471324e59ee42ed0f0ecfafc1810bc0_zpseius

And trimmed and sanded em:

36e2da3f55fd5bcbcdbb18395a53a90c_zpsuwct

79ad3b7571857eb6cdbf5f1cce007f24_zps3vaw

Here's a simple mock up of the flat plate section that I'll make up later - just before I attach the tailplane - but that will be after priming - and maybe after painting.  Anyways - this gives you the idea:

7075ca38230e94d2fa634fd2eead2920_zpsphay

The it was scribing the little access panels on the intakes.  Now this really was a pain in the ar*e in terms of getting it in the right place ands square -  and I had to chop a section out of one of my scribing templates to do it - and I had to do it 4 times.....

db762275e7700c8264c22da4cfaf171e_zpshsdo

3d954d2065103e8c13e415d40d99a2ec_zpsgnbu

17e17e30476b96e218d4985e51d3dfcc_zpsadtx

And that's about where they're at.  A little bit more scribing under the fuselages to do - and then I've got to get do the NACA ducts on the noses.  Not looking forward to that - and then I ought to think about vac forming the windscreens and getting then fixed to the fuselages.....Oh - and also some rivets on the ar*e end - seeing as rivets are all the rage now ;)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

Looking good Steve, My own plans for that tail pivot is to conger up something from 5 thou plasticard with Silhouette cutter. Dont think you'll have much trouble with the nose vent you have 8 vents in the logbook  cant see the next 2 being an issue.

• Like 2

Very clever job on the tailplane pivot mechanism, Steve :worthy: And the scribing looks just impeccable - as a matter of fact, your scribed lines look better than the molded ones! :clap::clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Then I had a go at the rather distinctive tailplane pivot mechanism.  Seen here in the BM walk around:

Scratched me head for a bit.  Then started by winding some 0.5mm x 0.5mm square rod around a craft knife - then dunked it in boiling water to fix the shape - then sliced the spiralled rod into half circle pieces;

That is a simply inspired idea Steve, excellent stuff!

If Heineken built Airfix Hawks they'd probably....................be nowhere near as good as these!!

Keith

• Like 2

!!!!!!!!!!! Wha....?

This is almost unbelievable attention to detail.........but of course, it's Fritag, and he is obsessed, as we know

A lesson to us all.........even if we can't reproduce such stuff

Fantastic to watch though...

Learning loads, daily

Geoff

• Like 1

Its only when you see your models against the umodified kit parts that one realises just how much you have improved on what comes in the box.

Martian

• Like 1