A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Nice work. They will stand out quite well I imagine. Good technique with the punched discs, although mine always come out offset even when I'm trying to keep them concentric. A query though, how do you hold them in order to shape them with a sanding stick? Do you thread them onto a cocktail stick or summat?

A query though, how do you hold them in order to shape them with a sanding stick? Do you thread them onto a cocktail stick or summat?

Summat Tom - Good ol' tweezers sufficed:

8b5578bfc84d5870be4fb58108b35149_zpsccbv

I finished sanding and cutting the the aluminium tubes for the starter exhausts:

948bf14b5917c021f6e186f9af86a29f_zpsrjqa

And so here's how the finished arrangement looks.

Hawk 1:

d5ae4fa8e047a3654538e7907a6ea630_zpswpbc

Hawk 2:

3d576fec2db5817aad172fa189a73e23_zpscvnj

I won't glue the aluminium tubes in place until after the Hawks have been painted - so that they'll look nice and shiny and metal like and hopefully stand out as a nice bit of detailing :)

Until then they're tucked away somewhere safe where the carpet monster won't find em and where I may remember I put em.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 17

PS - post on here where you've put them & then we can all tell you where they are...!!

OK. They're in a little plastic box - along with the jet pipes and coamings and the various resin bits and bobs I fabricated earlier - in the bureau that serves as my work bench - tucked away in the back left hand corner.

Now if I lose em it's your fault Keith :)

• Like 7

Nice work there Steve.

You're all such dab-hands at soldering and etch work Debs, that I thought I'd be letting the side down if I didn't make at least some use of metal in the build :) (as long as it didn't involve soldering....)

Edited by Fritag

It's 'orrible innit,slick ideas,homebrewed templates,bits of ally tubing and then the blighter makes it look all

so easy!!!!.

As has been said Steven,the evil work of the devil.........

But a damned good job never the less mate.

On the subject of "starter exhaust",one assumes the Hawk's baby Adour has an APU rather than one of

cartridge-big-cloud-of-black-smoke starter affairs?

Ooh BTW,prowling around Fleabay earlier threw up just the thing for drying Mrs F's washing on a damp day and simply just

the ticket for the barrister about town to have on display:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-rare-opportunity-to-own-a-Jet-Provost-T4-Jet-Trainer-Aircraft-/262606588292?hash=item3d24928984:g:elEAAOSwMtxXvHmF

I could be easily persuaded to have a tootle over and grab you a few more snaps if required,it's not a million miles away from

The Towers..................

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

Steve

You may have been asked this before, if so please forgive me, would your enhancements work in other scales, i.e 1/48 or 1/32, depending on the kit, i have some Airfix 1/48 and Premiere 1/48, also the Revell 1/32.

Your build is brilliant keep up the good work.

Thanks again

Jim

You may have been asked this before, if so please forgive me, would your enhancements work in other scales, i.e 1/48 or 1/32, depending on the kit, i have some Airfix 1/48 and Premiere 1/48, also the Revell 1/32.

I think the Airfix 1/48 kit would benefit from much the same sort of work as I've been doing on the 1/72 version as it has much the same spot of issues. The Revell 1/32 has some little issues (such as a rear fuselage profile suitable only for the very first Hawks) - but most of what I've been doing wouldn't be required on that kit. There are a few cracking builds of the Revell 1/32 kit on BM that a pretty much definitive. :)

The Hawks continue to crawl forwards :)

The Hawk has a surprisingly visible panel arrangement at the wing roots. See these couple of pics from the excellent BM walkawaround:

The%20Red%20Arrows-0324_zps9ygfldvn.jpg

ra%2003_zpsq8yg2l1p.jpg

Not surprisingly it ain't recreated on the Airfix kits and I've not been looking forward to trying to recreate it.

Then I remembered I bought some Tamiya masking tape for curves - which has been languishing at the back of the workbench since it's been given a few thumbs down by those that have used it on BM.

Anyways after a lot of marking out with pencil and several practice goes the tape went on ok and dealt with the curves really well:

9ebedec51ace41d52e10f92aa80136dd_zpsuiv0

bd5c9b295ee8bfce31021a6b15461523_zpsrppt

a4a7bbb60805f45e09d4820ba5b5565f_zpsm9ta

Had to be careful and gentle with the scribing because the tape is rather thinner than the usual scribing guide. Bit it was eminently doable and the results were pretty acceptable:

ca9abab3dd4d339ea1617efcde8a5c7b_zpsdmjv

2e44c3c725df40198d4d02fdca250855_zpscy7b

482ce980eab2fcbc49c821286ce1a5aa_zpsrfap

And I can't readily think how i would have done it otherwise :)

• Like 18

"...the results were pretty acceptable"? I aspire to Fritag 'pretty acceptable'!

Glad you got on with the tape and I've started using it again after someone suggested stretching it slightly during lay down. I also find it handles better if warmed with a quick rub of the finger (and the tape, fnaar fnaar!)

• Like 5

Nice work! I'll have to get me some of that tape. I agree with Ced that the results are a bit more than "pretty acceptable." I mean, I had pretty fresh bread once, and it wasn't very nice. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

It is interesting to see that you got on OK with this tape. I have some but have refrained from trying it following negative reports on the stuff.

Martin

I only had good experiences from using Tamiya tape ... for masking, never tried using it as a scribing guide though :winkgrin:

Anyway, you proved it can be used for that purpose too - great job! :clap:

Ciao

Well wadaya know. I have some of that tape, and to date, haven't found it much cop for masking (will try Ced's technique though), and up you come with an alternative, better and more appropriate use for it. A sort of accidental discovery bit like penicillin, velcro and post-it notes... You've just written yourself into history Steve :worthy:

• Like 1

"Postage:Doesn't post to Canada | See details"

Well, that ruins that daydream :(

Shouldn't be a problem Jess,we do have a bonafide JP jockey and a 'Erkleese tanker driver(not mentioning no names like :whistle: )

Surely they could be induced to sort something out............