A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Totally looking the part, Steve! :clap: I like the idea of the touch-ups done using a permanent marker - it's just another one to steal form this great thread ... :winkgrin:

Ciao

The clear coat (I think you already know that) tends to kill the highlights and shadows.....

Yes I was expecting that - but maybe I should have gone for even more contrast. That said I'm not sure it is as useful a technique in 1/72 scale as for larger cockpits - as the available area is a bit too small to exploit it properly.

What strikes me so far is how incredibly neat it looks in the photos where you have the cockpit in and fuselage together. Still watching with interest.

Ta Andy. Neatness is what I'm striving for - almost above all else. It matters in any scale of course - but I think it is really important in 1/72 scale. Not gonna be able to match the clarity and crispness of your work on the Jag tho' :)

I dunno why I keep visiting this thread.... one look at the neatness, the precision, and the finesse with which it is applied just thoroughly depresses me for the rest of the day :winkgrin:

Well if you'd stop raising the bar the whole time hendie - then the rest of us mighten have to try so hard :)

I like the idea of the touch-ups done using a permanent marker - it's just another one to steal form this great thread ... :winkgrin:

It was a bit more controllable than a fine brush/paint and any over spill could easily be cleaned away (if done immediately) with a cocktail stick :)

• Like 2

As per the above Steve, really looking the canine nads. Amongst other things the side walls set it off for me (yes I know you've put loads more graft into the other cockpit stuff, but reckon you're right to forgo the resin side walls). Any more bits and bobs to add? Not that they need it, but you know, in for a penny, in for a pound. The odd map light here, air conditioning pipe there...can never have enough of a good thing ;-)

• Like 1

Just a small update.

I remembered I had some white oil paint and tried a white oil pin wash on the black painted sections of the etched panels:

44f2524e86dcced690652e7f23d790bd_zpslhcx

5fc9062b8a21bafd701267ee2b9bd7c0_zpscjga

The etched radios etc have picked up the white wash and it's brought out the detail quite a lot compared with the previous photo's.

Quite pleased with that thought.

Gonna stop for now.

• Like 17

Ta all. I like messing about with the little stuff. Always nervous of painting em tho'.

..... Amongst other things the side walls set it off for me (yes I know you've put loads more graft into the other cockpit stuff, but reckon you're right to forgo the resin side walls). Any more bits and bobs to add? Not that they need it, but you know, in for a penny, in for a pound. The odd map light here, air conditioning pipe there...can never have enough of a good thing ;-)

Yeh - I'm quite pleased with the side walls. I wanted to do the framework but didn't want it to look to clunky - so I was pleased to think of scribing in the frame position and then gluing in 0.2mm strip edge on. It's as close to scale sickness as I could manage.

But Tom - did you not recognise the air condition pipes underneath the cockpit sill strip ? :( and the little round vents either side in each cockpit? :( Clunky modelling I guess ;)

I've got a bit more painting to do yet. For example the map cases at the back of the starboard side consoles should be black.

Also the control column and seat will add a bit of colour (the rear seat will have a solo flight apron on it) - as will the blue leg restraints. I seem to remember wrapping them around the control column (like I did in my JP build) on getting out of the jet - but photo's I've seen have them stick to the instrument panel. So it's fading memory vs photographic evidence......

That does make the detail stand out a bit better. I would never have thought of a white pin wash, good idea!

I have the Eduard colour PE set for the Finnish Hawk mk 51 - which is gorgeous but unfortunately a different avionics fit.

I was looking longingly at it, comparing my painting efforts unfavourably, and wondering if anyone but me would care if I gave my T1/T1a a Finnish avionics fit. Then I remembered I had the white oil paint and thought that maybe I could get a wash of white to settle down into the etched detail and so highlight the individual etched holes that depict the switches/knobs etc..........

I'm content with it now. Not up to colour printed standards of course - but better......:)

Time to stop fiddling with it probably. Just another flat coat to protect the latest wash....and.....NO - stop!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

Time to stop fiddling with it probably. Just another flat coat to protect the latest wash....and.....NO - stop!

:lol: Yeah, you gotta stop at a certain point, but I understand that the quest for perfection is never ending ...

Ciao

... the map cases at the back of the starboard side consoles should be black.

Yes, I was just about to make that point (ahem). Shoddy work, I call it.

(You mean there are map cases in there? I wouldn't put it past you to put a tiny wee AFCENT South in the case. In scale, obvs.)

Yes, you have to stop somewhere, but the temptation to just add a bit more finesse is strong. See 1/350 aircraft carriers for similar compulsion!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

I've heard rumors that people on Airliners.net are getting banned for posting photos of Fritag's Hawk cockpits there without permission, with captions like, "your photo of a BAE Hawk at RAF Valley is unrealistic, check attached reference pic for actual configuration."

• Like 9