A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

You'll do anything to avoid finishing these two won't you 😀

Sculpting huh?  That's something I have studiously avoided in Solidworks.  So studiously in fact that I don't even know if it has that capability though I'm pretty sure it does.

You don't fancy practicing some more sculpting do you? I'm short of a couple seat cushions for the T2 

• Haha 11

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

You don't fancy practicing some more sculpting do you? I'm short of a couple seat cushions for the T2

Maybe Steve could sculpt a duvet and some curtains for you while he's at it?

Just an idea.

T.

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, hendie said:

You'll do anything to avoid finishing these two won't you 😀

Almost.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Cushions?  That’s like several steps more advanced than bag i’n’t it?

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Maybe Steve could sculpt a duvet and some curtains for you while he's at it?

Now that assumes that Steve can even remember the elementary sculpting he’s done so far.

The bag effort ended up being tweaked in each of the form, surface and solid environments.  Which may or may not be the norm and/or good practice but probably matters not as I doubt that the methodology has embedded itself in my memory anyway.

So. This is a bit better idea of how the F700 bag will look.  Quick Flory wash.  I’ll use oils on the ones I’ll actually fit.

y4myTQw2q_cBtWGxLpGcB0aXapdm_Nf8GXoD5Lpy

y4mSJD6zlSfacboYx6vD4VAtsvHd9s4zTl6ShR0u

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

You know that I was thinking that there was a problem with the camouflage colours for some time. :unsure:

Then I realised that the problem was the intensity and colour of the lamp above the model causeing the effect :doh:

Gondor

• Haha 1

Ok so there have been a few small steps forward and one moderate step back.

Bad news first.

I hunted out the undercarriage sub assemblies ready for fitting.  Those with long and retentive memories may remember that there was quite a lot (several pages worth IIRC :whistle:) of fettling, resin casting and more fettling involved in producing the nose undercarriage legs and wheels.

y4mlqb0rrP_Yie_dBlbyIDX5I39SB3sZGlnlr7DI

Well it's nose wheels and legs (plural) no longer.  Nose wheel and leg (singular) would be a more accurate description now.  One has done a bunk/made a bid for freedom/ended up in the bin sometime over the last couple of years...  No amount of searching has or will reveal the missing blighter.  B*gger.

I can't cast a new one as part of the kit leg was used.  B*gger again.

So I've drawn a replacement in Fusion to print (I'd have been a bit st*ffed without the printer).

I copied the remaining leg with all of it's simplifications rather than starting from scratch with scale plans or photos because: firstly, I wanted the legs to look as alike as possible; secondly, it was quicker and easy measuring the remaining one than working from plans etc.; thirdly the shape and look of the legs was good enough when I did em so it's good enough now, and fourthly the legs were carefully sized to get the Hawks to sit correctly so it's sensible not to tinker.

Anyway; here's the CAD drawings.  I'll use nickel tubes (0.6/0.8/1.0mm OD) again for the fescalised sections and mounting stub; so the tubes in the drawing are just for illustration.

y4mQ-yspxHw2Ec0OeMUk9alUk7Osf8q3rEd2qkF4

y4mKVIgjZtLTUV_JmjMcUxY28D_a1VFHTE4HbBNE

I'll run a test print tomorrow or at the weekend.

(Tell you what; it'd have been a hell of a lot easier and quicker if I'd had the knowledge and kit to do them this way first time around!).

In better news I did have all of the main undercarriage legs and wheels and so Valley Hawk now has at least some of her undercart...

y4mczWnXMsRzkhDEcPadUIr3-rFYt78VPqbyRxuI

Then it was on with some itty bitty tasks.

I'd sort of forgotten the control columns.  Well, not so much forgotten as put them out of my mind because both the kit columns and the resin replacements I had were just the wrong shape:

y4mwnUAtK37rglHilHnIyjDr5pgacVYQ1huGhYlA

Basically, the top left-right pivoting section of the control column shouldn't sprout from the top of the main column and in any event shouldn't be at an angle after shutdown.

So some good old fashioned micro-fettling.

Dismembering:

y4mF-oCpEA3g4UUzz2sCv81Ehozmymu7fMQcwTpz

Bit of 0.5 x 0.5mm square section rod:

y4m0A8tpIrE2eBXoHNjgaTO7NyBjr1S1o67Mj3U_

Then re-attach and fettle.

y4mgVwZ5yAmMCnxzHcPGAd8WnCF2Y0FnKn5y4GJ6

Paint and add cable to the front using stretched black sprue:

y4m9mLnSV71pHwtG6OBrodpIhQa_M76m7CAI-2iO

Fix in place (UV cured grey printing resin) before they too get lost:

y4mzIS0gipVNm_QHJOxtZ6UuiVmyOl1W5z-I-G9W

By the time I flew the Hawk it was fitted with hi-viz strobe lights top and bottom rather than anti-collision lights.  Another little job in Fusion.  These will be printed with clear resin:

y4mxF5Eak8uebSCjuD6ByfWnXjcGluvqT4mbLv9M

A further little job in Fusion was a curious little structure thus: (try to ignore the designed in supports, which give it a curiously alien insect-elephant like appearance):

y4m50cIQ_RPWuDYLRrCjWbO0Q4_oz9rLm_zcJ7MS

y4mUBHoyroDLRdKHXwbCDb6dOxV_v79yMSk-A1__

What is it?

Well, it's the rack that holds the ejection seat pins once they've been removed from the seat.  And it's (just) visible here, in front of the rear coaming (on a big screen):

y4mQx_Nnf7v9i5zBkFcjO2ZPuFgxKVjSVmE-9yUM

I have no idea why I bothered with it...but I did.

Lastly for today.  I made sure to dig out and count the ejection seats!  And having done so I couldn't resit popping a couple in for a look-see:

y4mE0UyFekSxzOgOxk25XVP704_yZDX-C7KpERCi

y4m8SXOAZJtys4cFJd71PF3mwDoSbxPWjOOvYL_I

Save for a bit of tidying up, the only thing the Valley Hawk cockpit needs now is the front seat leg restraint cords.  Blue and draped around the control column (as with the Jet Provosts if anyone has such a retentive memory).

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 36

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72 - Final assembly. Nearly.
34 minutes ago, Fritag said:

(as with the Jet Provosts if anyone has such a retentive memory).

Me, I do.

Loving these resin-ny bits coming out of the Fusion jungle

If you find you do need Airfix Hawk bits I seem to have a profusion of early versions if you need any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I have no idea why I bothered with it...but I did.

I do.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I do.

Not for much else though, sadly.

Another meticulous (and somewhat understated) update.  

Pleased to see that the cockpittery is up to the standards we have come to expect from our learned colleague. (Still drooling at the thought of seeing those canopies  being fitted)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Me three! (or is it me four?)

Anyway, I wish I hadn't mentioned you having to 3D print replacement u/c bits - didn't mean to put a hex on the nose gear, honest....!! 🤣

And that Hawk? SImply lovely and extremely difficult to believe it started life in an Airfix box!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ich auch Herr Freitag!

(Just trying not to be predictably repetitive)

Those last two pictures of the Valley Hawk are just awesomely and entirely superb Steve, nothing less.

T.

PS. Losing the TWU Hawk legs was a bit of a b***er, but seems like you are sorting it!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

A further little job in Fusion was a curious little structure thus: (try to ignore the designed in supports

Great progress as always Steve. With Fusion and 3D printer nothing can stop you!

Regarding the supports and print base which dimensions are you using? I experienced that within first 2.0mm it is not possible to print a part accurately (at least with Elegoo Mars and Chitubox) but the rest is OK. The print base is always printed higher than defined (and therefore portion of the supports and some details are disappers inside the base layers). I define the base and support heights minimum 0.75mm and 1.75mm respectively to overcome this issue.

By the way, wouldn't it be better to separate the nose wheel and strut to paint them easily?

Serkan

• Like 1

D'ye know what Steve?

These could be part of your "It's For Sale" range.

y4mxF5Eak8uebSCjuD6ByfWnXjcGluvqT4mbLv9M

As far as I can make out every modern (ish maybe) RAF machine needs these top and bottom and fettling them alike in pairs is an awkward, fiddly job.

What we'd need is a sprure* of these waiting to be lifted off their supports and Gator Gripped to the spot, so you should sell them, four at a time maybe.

I'd buy a bunch for the GR5 Harrier for example, two bits of vaguely tri angular sticky out bits on the fuselage could swiftly lobbed off with a No11A.

It would make cleaning of after sticking together if I could just wipe the joins clear...

*portmanteau for Sprue and Resin

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

Well it's nose wheels and legs (plural) no longer.  Nose wheel and leg (singular) would be a more accurate description now.  One has done a bunk/made a bid for freedom/ended up in the bin sometime over the last couple of years...  No amount of searching has or will reveal the missing blighter.

Alright, I won't speak of conspiracy or some such, but this clearly sounds like an attempt to reach page 200 on this thread.... purposely loosing one of the front undercarriages and all.... :devil:

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Joking aside, the original version looked brilliant, and I'm sure the 3D printed one will be as good. That cockpit, anyway, is just outstanding! :wow:  :wow: 

Ciao

• Haha 7

Yet more fantastic work, Steve. I'm pretty sure these will be the best 1/72 Hawks ever modelled by the time you're done here.

I don't remember the JP build, I think it was before I joined (just to be contrary)

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, giemme said:

Alright, I won't speak of conspiracy or some such, but this clearly sounds like an attempt to reach page 200 on this thread.... purposely loosing one of the front undercarriages and all.... :devil:

That's one theory Giorgio, but what about ................ sabotage ........... perhaps by some sort of "fifth columnist", who may have a vested financial interest in seeing this thread endure beyond the much mooted 200 pages. Just a thought..... 🤔

T.

• Haha 9

45 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's one theory Giorgio, but what about ................ sabotage ........... perhaps by some sort of "fifth columnist", who may have a vested financial interest in seeing this thread endure beyond the much mooted 200 pages. Just a thought..... 🤔

T.

The kind of person who may have put a monkey on it reaching page 200 before completion (at 20/1) with a dodgy geezer in a camel-hair coat, carrying a large bag, trackside at the local dog stadium?

James

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, perdu said:

so you should sell them, four at a time maybe.

Dunno what they'll look like yet Bill, not printed anything in clear resin yet.  Test print sometime in the next day or two.  That said, I don't really want to start producing and selling bits and bobs.  With selling comes responsibility, which in my experience is best avoided. :winkgrin:

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Regarding the supports and print base which dimensions are you using? I experienced that within first 2.0mm it is not possible to print a part accurately (at least with Elegoo Mars and Chitubox) but the rest is OK. The print base is always printed higher than defined (and therefore portion of the supports and some details are disappers inside the base layers). I define the base and support heights minimum 0.75mm and 1.75mm respectively to overcome this issue.

I'm using Chitubox and Mars as well and coincidently use a minimum base height of 0.75mm too, but more generally I use 1mm.  The shortest combination I've used has probably been 1mm base + 0.5mm supports.  I have noticed some loss of apparent height of the supports on some prints but haven't had consistent failures and so haven't thought analytically about it.  That said, I think my experience is at least broadly consistent with what you've identified as a first 2.0mm issue and I'll both watch out for it and guard against it in future. Thanks Serkan.

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

By the way, wouldn't it be better to separate the nose wheel and strut to paint them easily?

They are separate bodies.  Just all visible together in that screen shot. Thus:

y4mivb_gPB256gMWf7O_d6jhmJZVD-gbVTQY794e

y4mUYvaVVJmzn0AoDvVATIPRmEYL5rFiHXt7i8Jr

And the wheel tyre and hub are separate bodies too:

y4mscbhfh9PXdu8FJNBiEUl1HnOfMU_t-fpZapJQ

The plan is to print all 3 bodies separately and also in combination to see which works best :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's neat, the 1/72 tyre painters dream!

T.

It worths to do. I did the same in my Blackbird/Oxcart both for nose and main wheels. The improvement is significant.

3175.jpg

3167.jpg

and it was very easy to paint the wheels and rims:

3215.jpg

3217.jpg

Serkan

• Like 10

I don't blame you, not wanting to get commercial with its occasional pitfalls.

I suppose I will have to make one of my own to mould in plasticine with clear resin.

I love that stuff, even if it does dry slightly sticky.

🤭🤔

• Like 2