A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Like it (like that)

Now our patient approach begins to pay divid...  -well we have been patient haven't we folks?

All humour aside and yes, I accept I aren't being even mildly humorous, this approach is as educational as it's possible to see.

Thanks Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72 - now in the paint shop (finally)…

I saw the first pics and did a double take!!😱 Then I noticed that you said “mule” 😀phew.

The camo is looking fantastic although doing each bit one at a time is making me twitch all over. 

looking forward to more steps dear boy.

Jont. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

You remember the last time you painted?

I’m blessed with a retentive memory.  Actually I’m not - I took notes.  Actually I didn’t - that’d be too anal.  I’m making it up as I go along (again)… :blush:

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

your process seems more grown up.

13 hours ago, HAMP man said:

paint being splashed about willi-nhilli

Well  gents; these statement’s can’t both be correct now can they.  Although my irony detector was set off by both…

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Proper paint on a Hawk, who'd have thought!

You would Terry, being a chap who I’m sure had confidence in me…

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Wish my toys looked half so good!

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

they will be a stunning pair

Ta gents.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Now our patient approach begins to pay divid...  -well we have been patient haven't we folks?

?  Not even 8 years yet Bill… :whistle:

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The camo is looking fantastic although doing each bit one at a time is making me twitch all over. 

Me too Johnny;  but the thing is so darned small that it’s quite fiddly enough doing it bit by bit;  I just can’t imagine how I’d get all the blue-tack on, and manage to keep it in the correct place and masked in between, in one go.  Plus I don’t like to leave blue-tack in situ for any longer than necessary.

This way I get to do it in shortish bursts and keep the concentration levels high and the stress levels lowish…. It’s a comforting illusion of control. :D

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 12

Can't remember you doing the Chippie painting bit by bit and that was pretty spiffing. Not sure the pictures reflect the marbling effect to its full, maybe we'll get to examine this at Tellers?

Box

Strickers

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

This way I get to do it in shortish bursts and keep the concentration levels high and the stress levels lowish…. It’s a comforting illusion of control. :D

That's worth a fnaar!

I'm sure Mrs Fritag could comment on that one far more eloquently!

Other than that, the paint IS looking extremely good. At least I think it's paint. It's been a while since we saw any so I may need to double check that

Ian

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:48 PM, HAMP man said:

Can't remember you doing the Chippie painting bit by bit

Ah, but the trainer scheme has a only few (albeit bloomin' tricky) lines to mask; none of this curly camo nonsense...

Having said a post or two back that no two camouflaged Hawks seem to look the same, it occurred to me that I ought to try and make my one look at least a bit like the one I'm s'posed to be modelling.  From one side anyway...

So with young Fritag staring fixedly at me out of the screen I attempted bit of accuracy.

D8DCEAEE-1179-4FF5-85C7-1886D69B2258

After that things started to get complicated.

7A5F1A72-E969-4C3E-A3E6-4683013D7DCA

Past a certain point all the easy bits of stand-alone camo were done and every remaining bit of green seemed to join up with every other remaining bit of green and I ended up having to mask the lot:

DC1933AF-DB21-4F8A-A2E1-314A6F726908

I'm getting too old for 1/72 scale.

Anyways.  More painting and an anxious wait.

Just this moment unmasked.

4399BBC8-0608-48CB-A7D0-A53A0AFA484F

8A0E594D-6F70-4D9D-B9EB-29724A808A8C

6D0313D4-51AF-430B-981E-6D0A4BEA8CAD

No paint lifted by the masking, no obvious omissions or overspray.  Couple of bits of blue-tack residue to be dealt with later.

Managed to keep some subtle variations in colour to break up the monotones.  Possibly a tad heavier handed than perfect; but then she ain't no war weary  WW2 fighter and I'll add a bit more tonal variety with oils later on.  Quietly pleased.

I'll probably find some stuff that needs more work when I go over it in detail before clear coating it later;  but for now I reckon that's a decent basic colour job to be getting on with.

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 41

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

but for now I reckon that's a decent basic colour job to be getting on with.

It would seem you are a master of the understatement, as well as master at 1/72 camo paint jobs. I'd say that there Hawk is looking bloomin good indeed.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Quietly pleased

I can see why you would be, but go on, treat yourself to some much louder pleasure declarations Steve.

Absolutely lovely job.

So, red/white/LAG soon then? 

Terry

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

So with young Fritag staring fixedly at me out

That must be Montag then, surely?

Paint job is gorgeous. You DID do the flaps, didn't you?

Ian

• Haha 9

A fairly new arrival to this thread, I am still shocked every time your hand is in shot to remind us just how small these little birds actually are! My brain keeps fooling me to think these are 1/48, at least.😂

• Thanks 1

Very tidy......no.......very lush......no.........mega super lush.

Not wanting to drop a pebble into the pressure puddle, but could the quintet make an appearance at Tellers?

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bloomin' heck! That paint job is marvellous, with tone variations and perfect camouflage scheme and all! I'm overwhelmed! :gobsmacked:  :clap:  :clap:

Can't wait to see the oil weathering  :tasty:

(no superlatives were harmed in writing this comment 😜)

Ciao 

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ah, but the trainer scheme has a only few (albeit bloomin' tricky) lines to mask; none of this curly camo nonsense...

Having said a post or two back that no two camouflaged Hawks seem to look the same, it occurred to me that I ought to try and make my one look at least a bit like the one I'm s'posed to be modelling.  From one side anyway...

So with young Fritag staring fixedly at me out of the screen I attempted bit of accuracy.

D8DCEAEE-1179-4FF5-85C7-1886D69B2258

Some good work on the painting there Steve,  All coming together nicely.  You do know dozens of us have you threads on Bookmarks for when we get to Hawks and Chippies.  Too late on the JP, I have already done a few Airfix and my OCD would not let me make a JP that came out differently to the ones I have already built.

Looking at the picture, not only is young Fritag on view, but I think I can see my old workplace at the back of the airfield, and Heanton Hill further in the background.  I used to run up and down that at dinner time for some odd reason.   Must have been mad.

• Like 1