A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

17 hours ago, Martian said:

Nice work Fritag. I hesitate to ask and it is probably extremely foolish of me to but dare we expect to see a completed Fritag build or two at Telford next year?

Insanely Optimistic of Mars 👽

Wel that would be nice...

• Like 2

On 21/11/2022 at 20:24, Fritag said:

TWU Hawk has had its weathering now.

Some Flory wash around then moveable surfaces  and some oil staining - like Valley Hawk - maybe a tad heavier.

And it also had my version of oil-dotting.

To my eyes a green/grey camo finish often has something of a patchy look; whether as a result of rain or other staining or just uneven light reflection.  So the idea is to break up the solid block of colour.  Stage 1 was the marbling pre-paint and Stage 2  is the oil dotting.

Some dry dots of light grey and ‘starship filth’.  Aiming for a random effect with the dots sufficiently spaced apart so that they’ll not end up getting mixed together.  Working in sections.

y4m4B9KeVnswswQ8Sn0nt7QnYOuTiH-iwXfZKHW4

Then stippled to thin, spread and remove the excess.  The aim is to leave a subtly altered base colour and get that patchy look . The grey panel behind the cockpit and above the roundel have been done (probably won’t be able to see it on a mobile size screen).

y4mlpeEkojUPk5PQpK8orIM7Kgz8dD8Z7cuZWJBD

And here she is at the mo; after a flat coat.

Underneath:

y4m3Hn5hw6qimMr0exhuN-DPHDvzsv7DO5AVr2MO

y4mt0Y3yXtoAJq9VFng5rW2JKtbFP_PCpPyamrNw

Top views:

y4mcVogj95RuQuOIXroMO2APwilLk2b-DITF9Gf1

y4mXEeupWycmmMPXl0ExRNjiqa_jGD39eHT5t0un

y4mxKQ60p2plyngpuXzpRzGioAUk4Z0sugW_ST7o

y4miRnpZzX-uIlQ1DBViSmA3qTVwXdnYv1zLBOcu

I’m pleased with the look, aiming for 1980’s ‘used’ - but not 1940’s ‘wrecked’ ;)  It’s a subjective thing of course, so do feel free to disagree; I shan’t be offended :D

Not a huge amount to do now.

Adour jet pipes primed with Tamiya gloss black followed by Alclad Aluminium:

y4mO7rUZn6Lh_znNCw7ubW2X6DfQyH0pNFrzIpcs

y4mQ9jg6K7ARRIAz_rXL86vJFDRsMPfN5Vfdmqds

And now a kit of parts to finish em off with.

y4mnRY5Oe3JmXVxWFyVALnYP0Cs1eJEU_1KgBaIh

And some printed undercarriage doors to finish painting:

y4mZcba5e7iNJBPexip6lKmGmOTZKsJMO_0HBpR3

And a couple of these:

y4mpuUUJwzA7cI44ZuJs04PfWMLRD99IC9RZLtzs

And I've started to draw up the various aerials in Fusion.

And that’ll be more or less it…

Looking great there Steve, it's nice to see the finish line.

Just as an aside will you be doing a T2 and a GR1......

I'll stand well back

• Haha 1

@Galligraphics @Ngantek @CedB @Serkan Sen @perdu @Terry1954 @keefr22 @bigbadbadge  Thanks chaps.  On this occasion I'm prepared to go as far as to concede there might (might) be an element of justification in your kind approval; given the numbers involved :winkgrin:

On 11/21/2022 at 8:55 PM, DougC said:

both exquisite but it feels like you could just climb into the TWU Hawk and start her up.

Putting to one side your kind hyperbole (for which I thank you); I at least would face such degradation in memory that I wouldn't remember what half the buttons and switches were for, much less what order to move the darned things.  You?  And another thing - what about your "deeply stalled" (quote) Hawk (p'raps my memnory ain't that bad after all :D)

On 11/21/2022 at 9:15 PM, Winded Penguin said:

I can't decide which of the two schemes is my favourite  👍

I have a favoured one.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:27 AM, hendie said:

I have to admit to preferring the camo version over the Valley version. More menacing.  More military'ish.

IIRC I felt rather more menacing and military-ish when flying it.  I certainly menaced plenty of Welsh hill-sheep anyway.   Although I never particularly menaced the black line on the map I was supposed to be following… 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, giemme said:

Top job on the weathering, IMO spot on for that 1980's used look you mentioned!

If this was one of my 1980's cars I'd been modelling there'd have to be a whole lot of rust involved in capturing the used to look.  Particularly around the wheel arches and door sills. On the other hand I wouldn't ever have to bother with working lights…

On 11/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, 81-er said:

We might make page 200 yet ;)

Not if I can help it, James...

On 11/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, HAMP man said:

Bicentenial page looks a long way off....................

I think I've bothered the hive for long enough with this build, Strickers.  IIRC the Mod's closed this thread down at one point.  Probably an expression of the democratic will of the people of BM.

22 hours ago, Martian said:

is probably extremely foolish of me to but dare we expect to see a completed Fritag build or two at Telford next year?

Dunno.  It's a long way to lug em.  They'd not be noticed nor missed.

16 hours ago, mark.au said:

It’s bloody annoying.

I agree.  Stop producing such a succession of enviable builds, straight away.  Have you thought about how it makes the rest of us feel?  Thought not :winkgrin:

10 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

but maybe you need a holiday or seven before knuckling down to the next jobbie

I have no doubt that this was said without irony, Geoff :whistle:  And as such I am prepared to accept your advice...

22 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Just as an aside will you be doing a T2 and a GR1......

No.

How old do you think I am?

it'll be a T2a and a GR1a :P

Well Ok I flew the T2 and GR1 at the OCU :whistle:  The NAVWASS in the T2/GR1 was better'n just a map and compass; but at the expense of a lot of cockpit management.  Indeed it appears that the NAVWASS was regarded as a major human factor problem requiring alleviation.  See:  National Archive Doc. although the record is not digitised and cannot be downloaded so I have no idea what it says...

Ok so,

Dabbled in Fusion yesterday, and t'was not a big job to draft some aerials and a very crude turbine face - for just in case someone ever shone a torch down a poor old Hawks derriere (btw does anyone remember my plagiarism of the @Gene K / @giemme Phantom seamless intakes?)

Anyways (although one hesitates to show any bloomin' CAD work these days given the mastery on display by @TheBaron, Tony has moved the goal posts out of the bl**dy stadium and down the road and across the Atlantic and is still going...):

y4mtApLj-nmEdEtQjX3cYh-xLlfMI1d5WGArhebP

Prints out as:

y4mpfp03KfHvYMrT2D86b2VkdDSLlSkZbAa8EiJ7

And it's conceivable that the turbine face might be visible.  By said person with said torch...

y4md_pD5jwFrzxzZnbEZWtMTT8B-bV4QVpnHP4sc

And the aerials will probably do.  At least one of them looks more delicate than the kit bits and less two dimensional than a PE aftermarket.

y4m88eXDQq7nTj8a-XQYrp2dggZ701NHCn1DI8th

I do believe that is another step closer to not getting to 200 pages...

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 36

18 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Putting to one side your kind hyperbole (for which I thank you); I at least would face such degradation in memory that I wouldn't remember what half the buttons and switches were for, much less what order to move the darned things.  You?  And another thing - what about your "deeply stalled" (quote) Hawk (p'raps my memnory ain't that bad after all :D)

Excuse self, please sir but did you not mention owning the cardboard dashboard from your training sessions?*

Would reading that remind you of the order of operation for such switches.

*Or was that in reference to the cardboard dash of the Jet Provost models that you magicked out of plainly ordinary Airfix polystyrene?

• Haha 2

Nice looking aerials and rear end stuff - could that be a fnar moment @CedB?

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I do believe that is another step closer to not getting to 200 pages...

...........  and even I am beginning to think you will not make 200 pages ...............🙄, but maybe finished before Christmas please, before I go off on my holiday? There, I got the next holiday mention in before you!

T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Prints out as:

- perfection. 

Those bits looks bloody wonderful Steve. 👏

I still haven't gotten used to those highly effective custom support structures which you've been pioneering; cue a bewildering five minutes thinking that it was all a  single piece and 'where the hell is there a kazoo-shaped feature on the Hawk?' :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I certainly menaced plenty of Welsh hill-sheep anyway.  

That, Steve, is FAR too much information!

No wonder you love cycling. The quick getaway!

Ian

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

'where the hell is there a kazoo-shaped feature on the Hawk?' :facepalm:

What do you mean, this is not on the Hawk? Really?? :frantic:

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Kidding, more fabulous details that will add to the final overall look :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

'where the hell is there a kazoo-shaped feature on the Hawk?'

In the pilot's mouth, to enable him to perform the Dambusters March with appropriate gravitas when he buzzes the control tower ;) 

James

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

highly effective custom support structures which you've been pioneering

I've found that building in the support structures in Fusion on the small and simple objects I'm producing has definite advantages.  But then I'm not having to play about with different orientations to avoid surface lines or having to worry about identifying difficult overhangs or support tall structures.

Anyways I reckon its Serkan @Serkan Sen who's more of the pioneer in designing-in supports.

I've got one more object to produce in Fusion for the Hawks and that's a canvas bag that sits on the rear cockpit bulkhead to (I think) hold the various safety pins etc on land away.  It's very small in 1/72 - probably something in the order of 4mm x 2mm and I was going to gold up some lead foil to make it.  But now I think I'm going to use it as an excuse to try and learn a bit about the sculpting environment in Fusion that you and Ian @Brandy have been using.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Based on the averages if this goes to Thursday January 12th it'll be the double ton.

There's a wealth of tips and skills in this thread that should be pinned. 

And I agree with Martian the models should be on the Tellers catwalk.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

And I agree with Martian the models should be on the Tellers catwalk.

Totes in agreement with that sentiment. 

But as for completion date ,........  we do seem to be so very close to completing two near* perfect** 1/72 Hawks, I'm inclined to believe, and perhaps even put money on the possibility that we really are almost there.

T.

* near in this example for the mathematicians amongst us, is a term that tends to infinity

** if I'd said perfect Steve, you would find some legal loop hole to contest, I'm sure!😁

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

But as for completion date ,........  we do seem to be so very close to completing two near* perfect** 1/72 Hawks, I'm inclined to believe, and perhaps even put money on the possibility that we really are almost there.

I've been a week away from setting completion dates on my house sale for 2 months...

James

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 23/11/2022 at 14:06, Fritag said:

They'd not be noticed nor missed.

Yes they would and yes they would.... :)

And don't try the excuse that you'd have nowhere to display them, there'd be open warfare among quite a few IPMS branches to host them....!! :nodding:

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 11/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, perdu said:

Excuse self, please sir but did you not mention owning the cardboard dashboard from your training sessions?*

That’s a powerful memory you’re in possession of, Bill 👏

y4m7EJaxFjb5AS-9ibzAUEvM5zTo8sE_C6NHjFH7

The cardboard originals reside somewhere in the attic.

y4m8L3ddDEtKIkgRalO_n6mbxbNRQEE5ZXGAPU64

There does seem to be a switch conveniently labelled ‘Eng(ine) Start’.  But I do recall that it was just a tad more complicated than that :whistle:

How quaint the image of a bunch of Hawk students,, sat in their rooms in the Valley officers mess staring at cardboard cut-outs, touching printed switches and endeavouring to memorise their checklists, now seems.

There was indeed a life before personal computers/tablets/synthetic training programs :D

Still can’t recall what all the buttons and switches are tho’.  “Lift for stand-by, close for main’?

Tell you wot tho’.  It’’s a nicely laid out ‘office’ from the latter days of dials rather than glass.

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And don't try the excuse that you'd have nowhere to display them

That one’s way down my list of excuses Kieth :D

Paint session on the printed undercarriage doors.  Dunno why the Hawk had to have so many doors (altho’ in fairness, in this picture there are twice as many doors as needed so that I’ve got spares in case of breakages of delicate bits)..

We have Tamiya Acrylic (as a primer) Humbrol acrylic (Light Aircraft Grey), Revell Acrylic (Fiery Red), Colourcoats enamel (Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey) and Tamiya lacquer (semigloss coat). 

y4m2apoqZ_QXCBAem8f7rBOuHY_5NmS8ZQ0r9IyV

We is now fed up of cleaning the airbrush!

And the turbine face mock-up has been alcladed and washed.

y4m2voqSt2ISUoLarsln1TTxu80pSUHiaIMLG1e2

I’m not quite sure why I painted 6 of them when I only need 2.  They’re not exactly fragile or in danger of being broken.

These are probably the least accurate bits I’ve drawn and printed; but frankly anyone looking up the rear of the Hawks with a torch only deserves an approximate facsimile to satisfy their excessive curiosity…. 

Need to weather the doors and think about sticking the legs on the Hawks.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 24

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Still can’t recall what all the buttons and switches are tho’.  “Lift for stand-by, close for main’?

Found this. Go to 1:50 for about 10 seconds. Hilarious...........

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

We is now fed up of cleaning the airbrush!

This is me!!!! My analytical mind (yeah right) has often led me down a path of understanding why I lose my mojo, and that one comes up repeatedly!

Like your cardboard cockpit, I could play  in that for hours 🥳. I once had an actual section of a JP Mk5a IP, given to me by BAC at Warton for my perseverance as their MOD project co-ordinator of the then avionics upgrade programme of that fine aircraft. It was sort of dark gray plastic with holes where the dials went. Not sure what happened to that but as my first wife seemed to leave me with barely a shirt on my back, it could now be in her attic. Shortly after that I got a bit of time in the Jaguar project programme but they wouldn't let me have any bits from one 🙄

Can't wait to see all those superb little bits hanging from the Hawks!

T.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, hendie said:

Careful there Giorgio. He may just have time to squeeze in another holiday or two before the final curtain. 

I did take that into account :D  In fact, I can see very far.... :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 2

Found this. Go to 1:50 for about 10 seconds. Hilarious...........

He’s got even less idea than me!

Like your cardboard cockpit, I could play  in that for hours 🥳.

It’s available for hire.  Hirer to collect and return.   Reasonable rates…. :whistle: :D

6 hours ago, hendie said:

Careful there Giorgio. He may just have time to squeeze in another holiday or two before the final curtain. 

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I did take that into account :D

Oi.  Nothing else; just Oi :D

Ok So. The canvas bag on the rear bulkhead of the Hawk cockpit.  Which I think was for carrying the F700.  Or the rear seat apron.  Or both.  Or neither.

It’s not a terribly important feature, mostly hidden as it is behind the rear seat, but it’s there and it’s worth reproducing.

I found several photographs with partial views of it; but the best image I found was of how Guy @geedubelyer did it in his fantastic 1/32 scale Hawk build from several years ago.  So if  I get it wrong it’s Guy’s fault :whistle:

And as I said in an earlier post, it was principally an opportunity to have a bash at learning a bit about the sculpt options in Fusion.

And without really knowing quite what I was doing I ended up with this:

y4mpZIM4a4OD-LsjUjHeop0GP-VbpAnqYT5ClnVf

y4mvUzIZ_fw6ux3pbOxQdc4ejDBZaD9sFRWsLt5l

Which prints out as this:

y4mwFuPCEDdbONqveSdWmu27HLyfGdmOcFWUYJDX

And will sit here once painted (sorry for the poor photo; I don’t think it’ll show up properly until painted and given a dark wash).

y4mROrzJFm2xhV-WmetBES_Ww94It_7aSd_fbhTX

Bit of fluff and nonsense; but helping me get further acquainted with Fusion.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 20