A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

27 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

They would probably throw in a free rubber too

Yes, well, over here, a free rubber could save a fellow thousands of pounds over, say, eighteen years.

• Haha 17

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

IIRC this originated as part of a matchbox kit.  If I was doing it again I'd draw one in fusion and print it.

That's what I meant in my post of Nov 5th, Steve, when I said it didn't matter if you couldn't find the u/c bits and could print new ones! Sorry to have confused you... :)

Keith

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's what I meant in my post of Nov 5th, Steve, when I said it didn't matter if you couldn't find the u/c bits and could print new ones! Sorry to have confused you... :)

The only confusion Keith was in my emoji selection.  What was intended as a 'laugh' emoji ended up as a 'confused' emoji.  I think we used to call such c*ck ups 'Switch Pigs' (I was in London and clearly rendered giddy by all the bright lights :whistle:).  Sorry to have confused us all! :blush: :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 4

Hells bells Steve. Look what happens in a few short weeks. I thought you were on holiday? It seems you can fit painting in between the gaps. 😀

Blown away by the crisp detail in your painting and the last few shots of the printed and now painted parts is fantastic. 
👏👏👏

Great to catch up at Telford. Next time I’ll be staying out to play. 🍻

Johnny.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

Class! Glamour! ...Telford?

Indeed.  That’s why I stayed in Shrewsbury…

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

As you're 3D-printing this stuff, I don't suppose you're selling or thinking of selling the STLs anywhere?

No.  I wouldn’t want to warrant their accuracy for the exchange of dosh.   Obv’s I wanted em to look right and I tried to make em proper like; but If I wanted to sell em I’d have been more particular.

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

…… I wondered if you spotted this one in the competition area at the weekend..........

IMG20221113130108

I took a few more close ups of the detail, so if you click on the link you can tab through them on my Flickr feed.

Has to be done one day soon surely ................ just saying. 🤔

No I never made it into the competition area :blush:  It was closed for judging when it occurred to me to look.   I’ve been following @Kev Gregory’s cracking Jag and it’s a shame I missed the opportunity to see it.  I flew XX731 as it ‘appens  when it was in 6 squadron colours a few years later.  I was the last one to fly her.

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well, those look nice, perhaps I should buy a f---JESUS CHRIST

Just a few quid each in the small stationers in Wetherby.   Either they’re different (must be) or the strength of the $ is really pushing up the prices of imported goods PC; or maybe it’s protectionist trade tariffs on those pesky Swiss pencil manufacturers? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well, those look nice, perhaps I should buy a f---JESUS CHRIST

As you burn for England with a living flame PC, you should look at buying England's finest - Derwent from the heart of the Lake District;

https://www.dickblick.com/products/derwent-graphic-pencils/

Individual pencils for $1.37 - bit more reasonable?!

Or a set of 12 including a 9B -

https://www.dickblick.com/items/derwent-graphic-pencil-soft-sketch-set-of-12/

Which is the same price that I can get them locally!!

Keith (who has no affiliation with Derwent but does have more than a few of their products which I love!) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a pair of their 5B Graphics sitting on the bench before me now Keith, they really are the knees of various, assorted bees.

Steve may I, on behalf of pencil detailing afficionados everywhere welcome you into the craft as Meister Dabbler Imperious.

The 9B really suits you sir.

👍

• Haha 5

Sticking with two countries separated by a common language, some years ago my dad and his colleague were in the USA for some meetings at their parent company’s HQ. Said colleague tried to complement one of the ladies in the office on her choice of blouse with the phrase “I like your top”. Apparently this does not mean “I like your clothing” and proceeded to cause a great deal of embarrassment, especially as the chap is one of the politest gents going

James

• Haha 9

39 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I'd agree with your sentiment, but Workington isn't exactly "heart of the Lake District"

Derwent's statement, not mine... 🤣 From their website;

''With a proud heritage dating back to 1832, we have been manufacturing pencils in the Lake District, UK ever since.''

"...the highest professional quality products ­– the majority of which are made in their British manufacturing plant in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK."

etc.... :)  (''the heart of'' bit is mentioned several times in images that I can't quote!)

Keith

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As you burn for England with a living flame PC, you should look at buying England's finest - Derwent from the heart of the Lake District;

I visited the Derwent Pencil Museum in Keswick about 40 years ago.

I don't remember buying any pencils there, which was probably remiss of me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Looks awesome Steve! Which brand of magnifier and work tools are you using for such micro builds? 🙃

Serkan

I'm begining to think he's actually got a shrink-ray, and just shrinks himself & his tools down to 1/72 scale to work on these

James

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As you burn for England with a living flame PC, you should look at buying England's finest - Derwent from the heart of the Lake District

I did it. My body is ready to experience the exquisitely smooth flow of fine graphite from the Cumberland Valley, which sounds like something that happens to Terminator robots or midway through one of those Fifty Shades of Grey books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

I'm begining to think he's actually got a shrink-ray, and just shrinks himself & his tools down to 1/72 scale to work on these

He might have a good line to the CMDF.

Weren't there rumours of a Fantastic Voyage remake a few years back?

• Haha 3

Someone,  I think it was Ian, asked me sometime ago if I'd forgotten the flaps :winkgrin:.

The answer is no - although it was back in 2017 that I made em out of cast resin and plastic strip :blush:

y4m9bOn8hiiOOm8D59tT0p9OONLsBzkJHa3XZcMT

Anyways; today's task (interspersed with trying to earn a living) was finally to start fitting the flaps...

In a word - fiddly.  One down three to go.  Fed up with it already...

spacer.png

BTW.  Photo's succesfuily embedded from my one drive storage; perhaps I won't have to by a subscription to flickr after all!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

In a word - fiddly.  One down three to go.  Fed up with it already...

Sure looks fiddly, but a neat result on that one I'd say. If you are fed up already, does this mean we have to wait for a couple of extra holiday breaks to see the other three .....? 🤭

The one drive solution seems neat, hadn't occurred to me that one. 🤔 - just shows what a waste 45 years as an IT professional does for you!

263 looks great in that pic from that angle.

T.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

does this mean we have to wait for a couple of extra holiday breaks to see the other three .....? 🤭

No.  Port flap’s on n’all so there are only two left to go now :P

y4mVuxEQqwFuInJdlluOPuz9RGlzgaMdg1kmQz4Y

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Fiddly, but they do look great in place! :clap:

Out of curiosity,  why fitting them before weathering? Are you by any chance morphing into @Navy Bird and starting to glue in all the hanging out bits even before primer (a bit too late for this build, but if this is a trend...)? Are you guys trying to cause me a heart attack? :D  :D  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 8