A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

I'm very glad to see you managed to find enough time between holidays to not only finish decalling, but also to update us on your progress. The Hawks are looking very good indeed

James

• Thanks 1

Hmm, OK I suppose.

And here in the real, non-leisure time obsessed, world they look fabulous.

Point of order, becos I dont know in which order these things are done, will you be attaching the flaps and prementioned gun pack before you oil dot?

For consistncy of appearance if nothing else, will you oil dot the other hanging off bits or will you expect wheel bay doors to miss specific inspection?

Paris.

Oh yes very definitely jealous, but unless G renews her passport  will never be able to wander the fabulous streets, pop into cafes and even dine in that little cafe on the junction of the Rue De Cambron where you have to watch your shoes when you pop in to spend a penny down a porcelain hole in the floor.

I absolutely luuurve Paris.

Enjoy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stramash said:

at a dinner in the RAF Club this evening, and will be knocking about in the Running Horse Tavern afterwards!

What about tomorrow night?  I simplified the chronology of the hols a bit for the sake of brevity.  I’m actually stopping over with my dad tonight in Southend and joining Mrs F tomorrow.  I’ll probably arrive at the club about lunchtime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

What about tomorrow night?  I simplified the chronology of the hols a bit for the sake of brevity.  I’m actually stopping over with my dad tonight in Southend and joining Mrs F tomorrow.  I’ll probably arrive at the club about lunchtime.

Unfortunately not, my day is full tomorrow (morning taken up with post-dinner recovery I expect . . ). Pity, perhaps another time?

• Sad 1

Hawks looking superb in their markings, the checkers on the camo one really set it off a treat. 👍

Hmmm Paris, haven't been there for nearly 40 years, great memories of blasting up the Champs-Elysees in a 300hp Mercedes :)  , with 50 passengers. :( 

Steve.

• Haha 5

On 11/3/2022 at 9:24 PM, mark.au said:

I’m curious as to whether there’s another layer to your enjoyment in these models having actually flown these airframes?  

I don’t think so for me, Mark.  To me the enjoyment is in the making of the model and not any historical association with the airframe.  I think my memory of the joy of flying a Hawk (and joy it most surely was) is a quite separate thing.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, Terry1954 said:

One question. Many moons ago, we had sight of some work on the TWU Hawk gun pack. Is this to be fitted?

There is a gun pack in the future of TWU Hawk.  Currently it is part-painted and not weathered.

C7B8CAD6-4CE3-4AE7-9B6F-D1D5EE8ED47C

I’ll weather/finish it separately and stick it on later.

The gun pack was an occasional bolt on extra for the Hawk.  At the TWU they were only fitted when we were going to the range to strafe a ground target (good  

fun but harder than it looked) or firing air-to-air at a ‘flag’ towed by another Hawk (too much like hard work to be fun and nearly impossible to hit the bl**dy thing).

Strafing in a Jag was rather more reliably accurate owing to the radar altimeter and most particularly (in places you were allowed to use it) owing to the laser range finder.  It  was quite an experience to have two built-in 30mm Aden cannons hammering away at the same time.  Letting rip with two 30 mm Adens cannons loaded with HE shells against old tanks at Otterburn or Spadeadam or some such range from low level was a proper boys-own sort of  thrill.  IIRC that is 

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Point of order, becos I dont know in which order these things are done, will you be attaching the flaps and prementioned gun pack before you oil dot?

For consistncy of appearance if nothing else, will you oil dot the other hanging off bits or will you expect wheel bay doors to miss specific inspection?

Ok Bill, so.

Shan’t be oil dotting so much as filtering with the odd bit of dotting.  But the dotting won’t be multicoloured dotting just a bit of light/dark grey to suggest dirt and rain staining.  If you see what I mean :D

Might fit the flaps - if I can be bothered or feel inlined.  But  might do them separately and stick em on after.  I’m decisive that way :whistle:

I will weather the cbls, pylons and wheel bay doors.  But again probably separately, for ease.

I have these various bits gloss coated and ready to be decalled and oilified:

4E8DC3FD-A243-4D38-9411-FA832B95BF54

And these undercarriage door bits partly painted:

04664C78-9F9B-4D27-9C5A-BFEC646F155A

With spares cos delicate bits keep getting snapped orf…

A6AB7C7F-DF70-4194-B3BB-29328E5EF542

And somewhere in a container are the undercarriage legs and wheels built and painted long in the distant past.  Hope they fit… Hope I can find them… 

More after Paris…

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Johnny @The Spadgent said over on his Firefly thread it was good to meet/see again notable (sic :whistle:) fellow Britmodellers at SMW on Saturday; although why people kept photobombing me when Ian @Brandy was trying to take my photo I can't imagine :whistle:.

And (referencing Johnny's thread again) as one who was (unrepentantly) giving Andy @general melchett an ear-bashing about reviving the big Bucc I think it would indeed be impolite of him not to get the thing back on the bench asap...  Just saying.

Oh and thanks Ced @CedB and Bill @perdu for the beer :thumbsup:

Anyways after a good week that encompassed a couple of nights in London, a few nights in Paris and an overnight in Shrewsbury to attend SMW, it was back to work today.  And straight into work-avoidance behaviour by mucking about with some Hawk sub-assemblies.

I've finished finishing (as t'were) the removable bits; i.e. the gun pack, pylons, CBLS and 4kg practice bombs.

By finishing I mean sticking on a few decals (hopefully) where appropriate, a modicum of Flory and a filter and dot or two of oil.  All secured with my current favourite clear coats - Tamiya lacquer (take your pick from gloss, semi gloss and flat):

FA80A836-FBF5-46CE-AA9B-5F9C9FCFC3C3

The thing about the removable bits is that they did get a fair bit of (grubby) handling and so did get a bit dirty :D

Gun pod:

IIRC this originated as part of a matchbox kit.  If I was doing it again I'd draw one in fusion and print it.  At least it will be semi hidden away underneath the TWU Hawk :winkgrin: 

A mixture of ochre oil filtering, pencil work (4B mainly) and tiny oil dotting with mig 'starship filth' and medium grey; all thinned as required with W&N sansadoor,

1E895F54-0B03-4714-AA84-9E4A9D9CE369

8E776FD6-8681-4CE7-9F2E-A8A6D1328A7C

The gun-metal finish on the gun barrel was done with a 9B pencil, burnished with a cotton swab and sealed with a gloss coat.  Quite pleased with the look.

F8085AF7-6349-4290-8844-28246080D8CC

4kg practice bombs:

Still can't quite believe they printed successfully.

Not much to say. I coloured in the black nose caps using a Stabilo fine black permanent marker.  Light Flory wash and a black pin wash around the retaining claws for good measure.  I haven't tried to pick out the retaining claws in a separate colour as they're too small to be able to do it neatly and the bombs look fine as they are. 

98A4FDC5-60ED-4880-9376-04694D884F05

Pylons:

TBH I'm quite pleased with these.  The details I designed in with Fusion have popped out nicely with a bit of a Flory wash.  Otherwise some oil dotting with 'starship filth' and then stippled to try and represent a bit of a grubby-fingered look. 

42C5972C-ED8F-42BF-9FCD-4B6C9C9ED722

EE8CB82D-81CF-44A4-81DC-1679FB47BF02

CBLS:

More Fusion/Mars 3 home-brew bits.

Flory wash and a bit of oil filtering on the hatches.

E7242F3F-39CC-45C2-9892-491515FDF818

The black nose paint was reproduced with pencil.  The 9B is really quite black and it's very controllable; easier than trying to paint it. And the real things were quite roughly painted so that perfection was not required.  Happily.

Also used a pencil to add some shadow/shading.

B92FE50D-2ADD-488A-8354-267AEFEC18A7

Oil dotting with tiny dots of 'starship filth' and medium grey followed by stippling on the nose sections in particular; to try and capture the slightly mottled look that camo-painted objects have when reflecting the light; especially if a bit dirty from rain and grubby hands etc.  I'm quietly pleased with the result.

8627A32D-E331-4C45-A03E-D16F70A875F4

And the practice bombs in situ:

36E87735-3D91-4455-8AE8-3EAC8490DEEC

And the pylon/CBLS sub assembly:

754B30C5-43D5-4138-9FAE-EE5D26997A16

Unforgiving close-up :D:

43095434-FDD8-4D77-91E6-116307AF9A06

More fun than working; if less remunerative.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 28

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Anyways after a good week that encompassed a couple of nights in London, a few nights in Paris and an overnight in Shrewsbury to attend SMW, it was back to work today.  And straight into work-avoidance behaviour by mucking about with some Hawk sub-assemblies.

Class! Glamour! ...Telford?

As you're 3D-printing this stuff, I don't suppose you're selling or thinking of selling the STLs anywhere?

As always, your modelling is...well, not an inspiration, in the same way that a baby-oiled bodybuilder is not an inspiration to someone with my physique, but certainly an achievement close to the pinnacle of human endeavour in the field.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Fritag said:

The gun-metal finish on the gun barrel was done with a 9B pencil, burnished with a cotton swab and sealed with a gloss coat.  Quite pleased with the look.

Filed away that idea for future uses immediately - much obliged, Steve :worthy: 

Other than that, what a masterful weathering on those sparse bits! You're getting really good at this.... :D  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You must feel rightly pleased with this latest Smörgåsbord of colour and lustre Steve - particularly with such a significant amount of it worn by your exquisite printed components.

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

the pylon/CBLS sub assembly:

- is just the business, it really is.

• Thanks 1

Very nice looking stores and pylons Steve. Little works of art.

I realise you likely have a 1/48 Defiant TT build somewhere in your future, but I wondered if you spotted this one in the competition area at the weekend..........

IMG20221113130108

I took a few more close ups of the detail, so if you click on the link you can tab through them on my Flickr feed.

Has to be done one day soon surely ................ just saying. 🤔

Terry

• Like 3
  • Haha 3