A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Steve, imagine what you could do revisiting the Chippie in 1/48 with the new Airfix kit....?! :)

You’re a bad man Keith :D

I do in fact have one of the new Airfix 1/48 Chippie’s - as does every right thinking modeller of our generation…

But it’s gonna stay in the box.  For a good while yet.  But it is awful nice looking :rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

You’re a bad man Keith :D

I do in fact have one of the new Airfix 1/48 Chippie’s - as does every right thinking modeller of our generation…

But it’s gonna stay in the box.  For a good while yet.  But it is awful nice looking :rofl2:

Open the box Steve !! Open it and start this chipmunk...

You know you want to....

Welcome in the naughty corner....

We are a happy band of irregulars....

Our Grand Admiral of the Poole's galactic fleet is providing us with new recruits on a regular basis....

Amazing Band chord.... indeed !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, Martian said:

How much food and drink does the average Earthling consume in a year?

I'm led to believe it's just slightly less than the average Martian.....

Ian

• Haha 5

On 30/09/2021 at 08:29, Fritag said:

I wonder how the MDC went? Perdu pondered...

Went? Past tense?  What did I miss?

When I‘ve finished wrestling with the bl**dy Spitfire transparencies (which I’m busy making a dog’s breakfast of)… and recuperated for a week in the North of Scotland :whistle: - and then painted the bl**dy Spitfire - I promise I’ll get straight on with it.  Promise.

Nice day is it not?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Nice day is it not?

Problem is Bill, if it's as nice a day up in the wilds of Yorkshire, as it is down here in Dorset, we are probably talking bike rides, or Harrogate tea rooms at the very least!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

If we keep this up we can get him to Page 200 without him doing any more!

Ian

But he won't notice 'cos he'll be off biking/skiing/walking/drinking whisky/all of the above...

• Haha 9

On 06/12/2021 at 21:49, Fritag said:

Accidental post :blush: - sorry

You silly $£*&, you had me all excited.

Severely let down of Mars 👽

PS: Many members of IPMS* Mars have commented that entire Earthling civilizations will have risen and fallen before further work takes place on these two.

*Interplanetary Plastic Modellers Society

• Haha 10

Is it possible that we're all suffering from some kind of group psychosis, that there never were any Hawks here in the first place?

Perhaps like Brigadoon, one of our number catches sight of something red and fleeting in the mist every few months, whereupon the rest of us become inflamed by the false conviction that we had seen it too?

Be a right turn up for the books though if Steve turns out to be a major religious figure and this is a test of faith...

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

Jeepers.  I’ve been driven to put in an appearance on my own thread out of a certain degree of existential anxiety…….

I’m not gonna condescend to grant any any of these recent posts with the dignity of a quote and an individual reply.  The ostensible reason being that they don’t deserve the applause of retweeting.  The real reason being that an adequate response to such humorous erudition is utterly beyond me :blush: :D

Anyways.

I have in fact been contemplating the almost forgotten and sometimes purely nominal objects of this thread.

The problem is the transparencies.  It’s nearly always the transparencies in my view.

I much enjoyed the panoramic view out of the Hawk when I was a youngster.

It meant that one had a wonderful eyeful of all the glorious Welsh countryside in which one was hopelessly lost on a navigational exercise as pre-wings stude at Valley.  And later on it meant one could contemplate with almost unhindered clarity the instructors Hawk gaining the killing advantage during post-wings TWU air combat manoeuvring training at Chivenor. :D

However in modelling terms such a large windscreen and canopy are so bl**dy obvious that if they can’t make a model they can certainly break it….

Many moons ago I vac moulded some replacements for the highly suspect Airfix injection moulded products and managed to turn out a few acceptable examples from PETG.

1024E64D-C377-4A4C-B63D-F64E50BE603A

But ever since then I’ve been concerned about how to neatly finish off and fix the windscreens to the fuselage (ok - I’ve intermittently mused on it…)

Terry @Terry1954 has just been through the hassle of fixing a large PETG canopy to his Viking and neatly illustrated the work required to get a neat seamless join.

Anyways.  I’ve been dabbling with a fiddly but possibly promising solution.  And that is to make the framing to the windscreen as a separate part from plastic card; fix it to the PETG windscreen and then fix the windscreen to the fuselage.  Hopefully the framing  can do at least 2 jobs.  Firstly be neat and tidy and easily and neatly painted (pre-painted?) and secondly provide a user-friendly discrete bottom edge to the windscreen that can be glued and filled and worked on as required to blend into the fuselage.

That’s the theory.  I’ve been dabbling in practise as follows:

Vacform some thin plastic card over the top of a spare clear windscreen:

CCEAC816-46EE-4966-AB8F-046CBFDCED2A

Trim and sand to conform well:

7D142737-659F-41BD-9D1D-03248EE079FB

Mark out the frames with some 0.5mm and 0.75mm masking tape and cut out the middle (I marked the tape with a black sharpie so I could see it more easily):

3AC60AAA-3E8D-407B-8E65-28637C185DBD

And refine with sanding sticks various:

BFAFE90E-B5CF-4D88-A8BC-C60C94F1FA56

Dry fitted.  Looks promising; but the Jury is still deliberating and hasn’t quite delivered it’s verdict yet….

52AB836F-AF26-4A7A-8602-C458455E5789

If proceeded with the plan will be to airbrush the interior frame colour (black) n the insides of the framing and possibly the exterior colour too.  The exterior colour will doubtless get worn with handling but it might relieve some of the pain of masking later...

84A89F8C-5605-4C7D-830B-9F8C49D0B4A4

Anyways.  It’s been fiddly and time consuming and may yet be a dead end so  I hadn’t wanted to bore the hive with it.

But I’ve now been flushed out of cover and into a self justificatory post :rofl2:  It may or may not be progress- but it is something done!

Actually - I confess that it feels in some senses a bit low tech and possibly even a bit crude.

As I’ve been contemplating with considerable pleasure and appreciation the cutting edge CAD and printing work of Alan @hendie and Tony @TheBaron, with Johnny @The Spadgent and Ian @Brandy and CT @Cheshiretaurus and others also now on board with the technology - it makes one realise that it’s just gonna get harder and harder to resist the lure…

Altho’ I think I at least need to be a bit more productive model-wise to be able to formulate a case for the investment involved that stands a chance of passing my own personal judge…. :D

Edited by Fritag
Clarification
  • Like 20
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

the Jury is still deliberating and hasn’t quite delivered it’s verdict yet….

got their names and addresses?  I'm sure we can send a delegation round to *ahem* sing some Christmas carols on the quiet like....

a bit low tech

perhaps

and possibly even a bit crude

Is the learned gentlemans wig on too tight or summat?   Crude?   Are you sure it's talc you're dusting that wig with?

I'd be over the moon with just having all 4 corners still attached to each other in that small scale

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Terry @Terry1954 has just been through the hassle of fixing a large PETG canopy to his Viking and neatly illustrated the work required to get a neat seamless join.

I'd like to say it was a doddle, but we all know that's just not true!

Your solution is a rather neat and very innovative one, incredibly well executed I must say, I like it!

You call it low tech, but I would call it high dexterity old school modelling - shall we badge that as an acronym HDOSM?

Great to see this back on the move. 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Couture framework Steve.

You should have been a tailor. 👏

I'm sure there's an inside leg measurement joke in there somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it........

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It doesn't look crude from here, it looks very fragile indeed!

Now you've been flushed out you'd better watch out for @Procopius, he's been practicing! The rest of us couldn't hit a barn door from 5 feet so you're ok there!

Ian

• Haha 2