A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so. Back at work after my week skiing - nursing a bruised shoulder from a spectacular shunt but otherwise largely intact.....

I have just about finished the cockpit construction on the first Hawk now. I think I've put in everything I want to (with the obvious exceptions of the seat and control column - oh and the throttles!). Anymore and it'll start to look messy I think.

Here's a few piccies of were I'm up to. A couple of the cockpit sidewalls and then some of the Tub fitted. This one is ready for priming now:

IMG_4478_zpsz9zgqdbo.jpg

IMG_4479_zps0tt9auy6.jpg

IMG_4491_zpszywlvfa0.jpg

IMG_4492_zpsdkihankn.jpg

IMG_4489_zpsq6acy7vu.jpg

Looking forward to doing some painting. Not entirely sure I remember how tho'.........

• Like 18

Those tubs look already very neat, can't wait to see them with primer and paint on! :clap:

Looking forward to doing some painting. Not entirely sure I remember how tho'.........

It's like skiing, once you learned, you never forget then :):D:whistle:

Ciao

Back at work after my week skiing - nursing a bruised shoulder from a spectacular shunt but otherwise largely intact.....

No more downhill skiing for me - nine back surgeries later my body just says "no." I used to really look forward to each skiing season. My kids would say "when are you going to hit the slopes this year, Dad?" and I would answer "Probably on the first run." :)

The Hawks are looking great. I have the Airfix Mk. 120D kit (with the fancy black and silver paint job), but the cockpit is pretty lame. I was thinking about the CMK Hawk Series 100 resin cockpit, have you looked at that? I'm wondering whether it's worth it - it almost costs more than the kit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

When you look at what Air Vice Marshall Fritag has done with just a few bits of styrene and wire* it hardly seems worth forking out a few quid for a chunk of resin. :D

Kirk

(* and an electron microscope/nano-tools/heart-rate slower/yet-to-be-invented-miniaturisation-technology/time-machine)

• Like 5

My kids would say "when are you going to hit the slopes this year, Dad?" and I would answer "Probably on the first run." :)

:winkgrin: - and not only that - the slopes hit back as well it seems to me.

I'm going for another few days skiing in about a week and a half - must be a glutton for punishment.

I have the Airfix Mk. 120D kit (with the fancy black and silver paint job), but the cockpit is pretty lame. I was thinking about the CMK Hawk Series 100 resin cockpit, have you looked at that? I'm wondering whether it's worth it - it almost costs more than the kit.

I used the CMK Hawk 100 resin tub as the basis for my T1/T1a tub - but to make it work I had to take all of the detail off and substantially modify the shape as well:

Annotated%20CMK%20Tub_zpsvrsheonx.jpg

IMG_3527_zpsbjwndpyk.jpg

I'm not sure now that it was worth starting with the CMK tub.

And I also used the seats as a basis - but again they required substantial modification:

IMG_3502_zps5xxqwthc.jpg

The instrument fit in the Hawk 100 is very different to the TMk1/1a so I wouldn't have used the instrument panels anyway.

I also don't really like resin add-on side walls that much. Really hard to avoid making the side walls look way too thick in 1/72 scale IMHO. I probably wouldn't have used them even on a Hawk 100 build.

All that said - there's no doubt at all that the CMK resin cockpit is a big improvement on the Airfix offering - and I'm pretty sure I'd use it happily on a Hawk 100 build (minus the side walls).

However; accuracy wise it's definitely compromised by being designed to slot easily into the Airfix kit.

I don't think I'd worry too much about that if I was building a Hawk 100 - but I just wanted to do that bit more for the old T1 & T1a :)

When you look at what Air Vice Marshall Fritag has done with just a few bits of styrene and wire* it hardly seems worth forking out a few quid for a chunk of resin. :D

Kirk

(* and an electron microscope/nano-tools/heart-rate slower/yet-to-be-invented-miniaturisation-technology/time-machine)

Oops. I've just admitted that I did fork out the few quid for the chunk of resin. And then didn't even use most of it.............

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

Glad you're back at it Steve, purely for selfish readers, how dare you take a week of skiing......I'm jealous actually!!

Great progress on the tubs, I can't wait to see the paint on, after seeing the JP's and Chippie, we know they are going to be rather special :)

• Like 1

No more downhill skiing for me - nine back surgeries later my body just says "no." I used to really look forward to each skiing season. My kids would say "when are you going to hit the slopes this year, Dad?" and I would answer "Probably on the first run." :)

The Hawks are looking great. I have the Airfix Mk. 120D kit (with the fancy black and silver paint job), but the cockpit is pretty lame. I was thinking about the CMK Hawk Series 100 resin cockpit, have you looked at that? I'm wondering whether it's worth it - it almost costs more than the kit.

Cheers,

Bill

Have a look at the Neomega sets...

A squirt of Alclad black primer/microfiller on the PE.

Gonna have another go at the technique of overspraying with grey and micro-meshing back to reveal the black on the raised sections of PE.

I'll leave the black to harden overnight first tho'.........

87FFBE53-5D55-4874-8E1E-5A6D85573530_zps

• Like 9

Welcome back Mr F, I don't think my lunch hour will be long enough to digest this and Deb's Herky build....

You don't need to go skiing to feel the comforting punch of terra firma coming up to meet you at a rate of knots... I came off my bike on ice two weeks ago and still finding bruises... Hope that you're recovering well....

• Like 1

Haven't dropped in on these Hawks in a while but they're certainly coming along well. Amazing how you add the detail to the cockpit sills and suddenly it just looks so much more realistic.

I had to go back and look again at the way you built the internal duct within the intakes. Absolutely brilliant. The Hawk seems to lend itself well to that but it ain't half impressive, especially in 1/72. Great stuff!

• Like 2

Got some proper paint on the cockpit and tub now.

95923406f4f97a46ed8c6916847e28ab_zps1tdv

bdd0aef7ed228cfa19c1d4b45356e5d2_zpslszh

Since this photo I've broken up the uniformity of the finish a little by going over it with darkened and lightened mixes and given it a coat of Humbrol Clear to protect it. The light/dark shading doesn't really show up in this photo tho':

e82b6624a64acf98a518caad37a8d1ea_zpszrlv

Later on I can try a wash or two and some detail painting.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 20

Great work on the office, Steve! :clap: The clear coat (I think you already know that) tends to kill the highlights and shadows, but I'm sure that once you're done with washes and matt coat, all the details will nicely pop up. Can'take wait to see the main IP'so on :popcorn:

Ciao

Just nipped back to Page 1 (it was a long trek!) to remind myself which schemes you'd chosen for these. Man how I love the Hawk in camo. The personal connection adds a lot to this build too.

What strikes me so far is how incredibly neat it looks in the photos where you have the cockpit in and fuselage together. Still watching with interest.

Ok. So.

I tried very gently wearing away the grey coat over the raised PE details to reveal the black coat underneath. I tried it with paper and with some plastic micro mesh sheet.

It sort of worked.........But try as I might couldn't avoid going all the way down to the brass in places.

I decided I could live with that on the side consoles - as it had a not unpleasing look of wear and tear about it.

But not on the Instrument panels - so I re-touched the black on those panels using a permanent black marker and post-it-note masks.

Here's how it looks at the mo'. They've had another squirt of Clear for protection before the next stage of work:

369ac558dd111820eaa215d48b772f21_zpsl9iy

I'm calling it a qualified success :)

• Like 14