A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Biggles87 said:

I think I should have been a fighter controller!

Speaking of fighter controllers.  At Coltishall we shared an officers mess with the FC’s from RAF Neatished and they were a great bunch; so much fun indeed that I married one…

They were also jolly useful in helping poor radar-less jag mates find a Victor or VC10 tanker over the North Sea.

TWU Hawk is now wearing some dark sea grey:

05740F24-81BB-4785-B8F9-041BD9946DA6

Attempted as much as possible to leave the dark green sections free of the DSG.

311F5B31-89B7-4B01-BFC4-0BEEB67AF04D

There’s an understand variegated effect which I’m hoping to hang on to.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 23

Looking good! 

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Attempted as much as possible to leave the dark green sections free of the DSG.

I like that approach. I've not successfully replicated this pre shading malarky, but when I do (blind optimism again) I must remember that for two tone camouflage like this. Will you freehand the green?

Sounds like you got on very well with those fighter controllers!

T.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

…variegated effect…

I like both the look and the sound of that.  

This build had me looking at Hawk kits on my last visit to BNA (Aussie online modelling retailer) but I’m quite sure I couldn’t follow yours, especially in this scale.

• Like 1

This thread had become one of the few constants in my life, and now look - paint! If there's paint, it will end, and then what? We'll be cast adrift in a sea of uncertainty, with no expectation of what The Fritag will bestow on us next.

Anyway, nice pre-variegating. Looking forward to seeing the full effect under the DG/DSG.

• Haha 9

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

There’s an understand variegated effect which I’m hoping to hang on to.

I love that! Nice and subtle, yet there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very much looking forward to the rest of painting :tasty:

Ciao 

• Like 2

Just now, giemme said:

Very much looking forward to the rest of painting

Ditto

Because that should mean the ultimate Jaguar will arrive soon after, probably entailing a new nose for the Hasegawa overlong-nosed jobbie.

• Like 6

Excellent start on the paintwork, Steve. The subtle variations are working nicely.

23 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

It seems that you will complete this project before reaching 200 pages!..

I think you're fogetting that it'll take at least abother 10 pages to finish the paintwork, and then at least another 30 for the weathering... 🤣

James

• Haha 8

54 minutes ago, 81-er said:
On 9/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, Serkan Sen said:

I think you're fogetting that it'll take at least abother 10 pages to finish the paintwork, and then at least another 30 for the weathering...

As long as Steve finishes this project before my retirement (within next 15 years) it is fine.

Serkan

• Haha 8

21 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Will you freehand the green?

No, nope, non, nein, niet and not a chance.  Have neither the equipment nor the skills for that :D

Plus, whilst the camouflage edge is definitely a soft one on the Hawk, at 1/72 scale distances  it effectively looks so much like a hard edge that even if I did have the equipment and skills I don't think it would be scale appropriate.

I’ve printed several copies of the scale colour plans from the Hawk Aeroguide publication; and the plan is to cut out paper masks and use ultra thin sausages of blue tack along the edge of the masks - and then to airbrush perpendicularly.

Paint-mule test:

456EDFCC-8DF3-4F5E-A49B-C8929E4E1170

536ED951-5B15-49AE-A68B-91DEFFB56000

In other words the good old fashioned technique we've all used from time immemorial.

If I get the thinnest of barely visible soft edges doing it this way then that’ll be a bonus.

15 hours ago, mark.au said:

This build had me looking at Hawk kits on my last visit to BNA (Aussie online modelling retailer) but I’m quite sure I couldn’t follow yours, especially in this scale.

Ha. On current form you’d knock off a gob-smacker in a week; and I’d just have to live with having been the support act :D

14 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

If there's paint, it will end, and then what? We'll be cast adrift in a sea of uncertainty

On ‘tother hand it might be like finally having got rid of an irritating earworm (aka stuck song syndrome, apparently) after way, way too long….

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Very much looking forward to the rest of painting

Bloomin ‘eck G, I’ve been working at nose-bleed inducing pace by my standards as it is…….

10 hours ago, perdu said:

probably entailing a new nose for the Hasegawa overlong-nosed jobbie.

But I’m planning OOB… :whistle:

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

I think you're fogetting that it'll take at least abother 10 pages to finish the paintwork, and then at least another 30 for the weathering... 🤣

When I started this thread people had patience and let a good story develop slowly….. Nowadays people’s attention spans are much shorter…. ;)

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

As long as Steve finishes this project before my retirement (within next 15 years) it is fine.

Imposing artificially short time limits can be very stressful you know Serkan… :D

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

I tried pre-shading but to no avail, so I found post shading gives very good results when you lighten and darken the original colour

One of the beauties of the hobby is the number of different routes there are to try and reach the same destination.

I may well do a bit of post-shading on this one,  if I lose too much of the pre-mottling with the DG coat,  although it’ll be a tricky task given the small are to aim at on 1/72 camo.

I like the principle of the pre-shade mottle because of the opportunity of experimenting with different colours.

The plan is for most of the post-camo work to be done using oils - like with the USAAF Spit Vb.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 22

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Bloomin ‘eck G, I’ve been working at nose-bleed inducing pace by my standards as it is…….

Looks like you are keeping on with that pace, though (even if on a paint mule, but still... :winkgrin:)

:clap::clap:

Ciao 

• Haha 4

On 9/11/2022 at 5:16 PM, Fritag said:

Plus, whilst the camouflage edge is definitely a soft one on the Hawk, at 1/72 scale distances  it effectively looks so much like a hard edge that even if I did have the equipment and skills I don't think it would be scale appropriate.

That is something that a lot of modellers seem to forget and then overdo things which looks totally unrealistic.

Gondor

• Like 4

A lot of lawyering had to be done this week which weren’t awfully compatible with finding time for the fiddlyness of Hawk camo in 1/72; but one has managed to make a start.

Doing a mini (very mini) approximation of @TheBaron and studying photo’s of the subject made me notice a modeller-friendly feature of the wrap around camo.  Every jet is different!

Looking at this line up of 63 squadron jets you can see that whilst the essential pattern is the same the paint is obviously applied freehand in the paint shop cos the boundary edges of the patterns are all just a bit different.  It’s particularly evident in the ‘S’ shaped curve under the cockpit on the starboard side.   No two are the same!  

9A29DFFC-3981-4640-9ACB-5C1DC4814B6C

Which basically means that yer modeller doesn’t ‘ave to be too particular wiv the placing of ‘is blue tack sausages.  Result!:D

Anyroad up.  We begin:

These green patches have had a squirt of klear-cote as we go along to protect them from handling as things progress.  Subtle variegation preserved so far… 

6E788019-6026-487B-8F5F-D1957BC55985

The rather clumsy Fritag technique :blush: :whistle:  Got lots of stick-it notes laying around seeing as it’s all paperless working these days. 

1074ECFD-434D-474F-8EC9-B0B67E1A9B27

Another one done.  Not klear-coted yet.

10853C7B-FE9E-4E34-84DB-29DBCC13C5BB

It’s doomed to look a bit toy-like until the post paint oil work.

And some bits and bobs whilst we’re at it.

ADB25E50-A7F5-41AB-A0C1-56B340341FD7

Proving to be quite time consuming.

Enjoying painting again.

But fed up with blue-tack already; and not looking forward to masking Valley Hawk :D  Why do we do this?

• Like 27

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Enjoying painting again

You remember the last time you painted?

The green bits look sufficiently variegated indeed.  I’m particularly enamoured with your masking as well, I achieve my variegation by continually fixing overspray; your process seems more grown up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was getting a bit worried all of a sudden we're at x 2 speed and paint being splashed about willi-nhilli. I have a small wager that this one will go bi-centenial, so quite happy to hear probility of procrastination regarding weathering. 

Green and gray whats not to like?

Box on

Strickers

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, Fritag said:

At Coltishall we shared an officers mess with the FC’s from RAF Neatished

I was in North Norfolk yesterday and happened upon Coltishall village on my way back West. We also deliver to the pub in Neatishead. The Black Horse I think.

You have to roll some steps to one side to get into the beer cellar! Neat design.

Nice work with the masking and paint.

• Like 3

Very impressive and patient progress. Love it.

Valley Hawk masking will of course be key to the success of that scheme, but nothing you can't sort Steve!

Proper paint on a Hawk, who'd have thought!

T.

• Haha 5

TWU Hawk is coming to life now that it has started to receive its colour coat, looking forward to seeing it completed together with the Valley Hawk, they will be a stunning pair!

Stay safe           Roger  

• Like 2