A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, perdu said:

Come over to the  light side, open a postimg.cc account

If you install it on your phone and take photos on your phone as I often do the image becomes available in Postimg immediately if you take the picture in the app.

I bought a device to grip my unused airbrush when awaiting trade, it is as user-friendly as yours

not  :(

I find the best one I have is the one attached to the filter body of my compressor, at least I get height to allow fitments dangling beneath them

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F619R-q2AuqS._AC_UL320_.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fairbrush-holder-stand%2Fs%3Fk%3Dairbrush%2Bholder%2Bstand&tbnid=6kjrVj4Rgym9JM&vet=12ahUKEwjwqp6v-Zv5AhURLRoKHcnGBMIQMygIegUIARCHAw..i&docid=8fvocsXNJk37CM&w=281&h=320&q=airbrush bracket device&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjwqp6v-Zv5AhURLRoKHcnGBMIQMygIegUIARCHAw

Now if one of you techniKables could make that a simple image you will see my cheap and easy to add to the filter on the airbrush device.

Whats the app called and is it available for Apple, I can’t seem to find it. Thanks. 

On my android phone I have downloaded postimage.org, I suppose you must be able to do it in the iPhone world too but as I am not a iPhoner I'm not sure.

Sorry if it's a dead end

57 minutes ago, perdu said:

On my android phone I have downloaded postimage.org, I suppose you must be able to do it in the iPhone world too but as I am not a iPhoner I'm not sure.

Sorry if it's a dead end

I’ll give it a go, many thanks. 

• Like 1

Have the program on the computer and once you have an account you can open it in various devices on your account.

I have it on my pc my 10" tablet and my phone.

Means I can post to the thread from anywhere 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we're already a third of the way through August... I'm off to the Shetlands again at the end of next week so I'd better post something....  Proof of life you might call it.

So these bl**dy canopies.

The canopies have cream tape around the inside of the joint of the front and rear section - at the blast screen - which I've already done when painting the printed internal structure.  But it also has a thinner layer of tape on the outside of the canopy.

Thought I might as well do that whilst I was at it.

Tricky masking job mind.

Started with thin slivers of Tamiya tape following the inside edges of the inner frame:

F0BE78E1-6057-44D6-B789-947FFABCE71F

And then just basically cover the rest of the canopies with tamiya tape.  As you do:

3010F607-5DAC-40C8-A0DB-2FF094A56527

3 layers of paint.  A thin priming layer of tamiya flat white thinned with Mr levelling thinner; a light coat of decanted and airbrushed tamiya spray-can racing white to represent the tape; and a dusting of tamiya flat clear to matt back the racing white.

Thankfully a pretty crisp result.  No bleeds or anything nasty to clean up.  Probably because I took it slowly and sprayed only very light dustings at each pass.

5D2C6E7C-7AF4-4E48-8A65-3213698E3355

52246935-E06F-4A42-BBDB-9C0F8C9500AD

Two and a spare:

8B341E8A-F05A-4B48-9A92-6B7D9BDDF572

Relieved more than pleased.  A task I thought I was going to do - but didn't really want to....  But it's a feature you don't often see recreated on models; so what the heck.

And the frames.

I'd rather had my fill of masking.  So began to play about on the computer.

And some tests emerged:

12003E5F-7461-49DE-A545-9FD6FEF247F9

And looked quite crisp, bearing in mind they're only 0.2mm thick.

7B9FC7C0-7462-4AA1-98CD-A16E0CF2D9EB

Quite pleased with the canopy opening handle at the port front corner 

7B86B9C3-99B4-4110-B694-67AC8C114D27

And I think the idea might work.  It would mean I could paint the frame before fixing it in place, like the inner structure.  No problems getting neat lines that way.

7277FF89-1D67-473C-A75D-D261ED2F924C

It also might mean that I can recreate the annoying (and bl**dy difficult to recreate) cream sealant line around the inside of the canopy framing by just painting the edge of the printed frame in cream.  I wish there was a cream coloured sharpie (there isn't is there?)

I've printed the frame slightly over size all round and printed a ledge or lip on the inside (you can just see the lips on the photos above).

That means that the printed frame clips over the canopy and holds it in place for gluing.

I can then sand back the the bottom and front and rear of the frame and they'll be the correct depth.

I think it'll work - but we'll see.

All fun and games.

• Like 26

More impressive 3D work there Steve, and that front port canopy opening handle is exquisite! Yet again showing what this technology can do.

Terry

AKA Impressed of South Dorset

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve, when you do some modelling you do it in spades - too bad it's not that often, but viewing the results, we can live with that :winkgrin:

Most excellent 3D stuff, as we now expect from you, and some skilled traditional masking and painting - top stuff! :worthy::clap:

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s just really clever stuff, fascinating to follow along with.  

Allow me to take the liberty of assuming your remaining to-do list…

• Holiday in Shetlands
  • Design airframe mechanic for diorama
  • Print mechanic
  • Design airframe mechanic’s tool kit for display in diorama
  • Print tool kit
  • Holiday in France
  • Design RAF base for each Hawk
  • Print RAF base for each Hawk
  • Lawyering
  • Redesign both bases for winter with snow on the ground
  • Holiday in Australia
  • Print same
  • Design crew
  • Print crew
  • Redesign one crew member because it’s not handsome enough to be you (in your opinion, at least)
  • More lawyering
  • Design decals
  • Invent new ink sumblimation process to print decals directly on to the model
  • Patent ink sublimation process and licence to Cartograph
  • Paint the Hawks.

Is this anywhere close?  I’ve shortened it a little in the interest of brevity. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 21

Just when you thought there was no more super detailing to do, he finds details none of the rest of us mortals even knew existed. and then prints the stuff too!

Amazing work once more Steve. Enjoy the hols!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

It’s just really clever stuff, fascinating to follow along with.  

• Holiday in Shetlands
  • Design airframe mechanic for diorama
  • Print mechanic
  • Design airframe mechanic’s tool kit for display in diorama
  • Print tool kit
  • Holiday in France
  • Design RAF base for each Hawk
  • Print RAF base for each Hawk
  • Lawyering
  • Holiday in Australia
  • Print same
  • Design crew
  • Print crew
  • Redesign one crew member because it’s not handsome enough to be you (in your opinion, at least)
  • More lawyering
  • Design decals
  • Invent new ink sumblimation process to print decals directly on to the model
  • Patent ink sublimation process and licence to Cartograph
  • Paint the Hawks.

Is this anywhere close?  I’ve shortened it a little in the interest of brevity. 😉

Truly sorry Steve, if one can be sorry to a member of the bar..... as I think I was the first one to mention p a i n t......

Canopies are amazing  I took a trip to Shawbury recently to see the T1's being disassembled   very sad 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mark.au said:
  • Lawyering
  • Holiday in Australia
  • Print same
  • Design crew
  • Print crew
  • More lawyering
  • Design decals

Will there be enough resin in the bottle?

Australia is big, 'tis a continent you know...

Love the paint jobs on the frames, outstanding.

Certain to be now isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Science! It's like magic, only it's real.    :)

Only 'virtually' real Bill. :D

10 hours ago, giemme said:

some skilled traditional masking and painting

Didn't enjoy it much.....  the masking bit that is.... :blush:

What about a week in October in the far North of Scotland, Christmas in the RAF club on Piccadilly, a week skiing in January in Austria and ditto in February at Chamonix.  Can't I do them boss? :whistle:

Lawyering

Did you have to mention that? :hmmm:

Holiday in Australia

I wish.  One day....

50 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

if one can be sorry to a member of the bar

'tis true it's not a sentiment we come across often.  Certainly not from judges.  Whether they're right or wrong it's always us that's wrong....

50 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

I took a trip to Shawbury recently to see the T1's being disassembled   very sad 

Inevitable but still sad; age and obsolescence catches up on us all (apparently).  Does seem old fashioned in the extreme now to have a fast jet trainer that you had to navigate at low level by map, compass and stop watch.  It's only cos I remember how lost I was most of the time that I'm not more nostalgic.....

Anyroadup.  200+ mile drive down to Essex today to see my dad for the weekend.  Take him for fish and chips on Southend seafront and maybe a beer and whisky or two.  But I couldn't resist giving a frame a squirt of rattle can white primer to get an idea how the valley hawk canopy would look when finished.

Bear in mind that the frames are a bit too deep and will be sanded back; so it looks a bit chunky at the mo.

02BA221B-4188-441B-BD0B-1369D20CA6DC

You can see the lip all around that will be sanded back/off.

The inside view is just as important.  

E0E1FA70-6025-4F76-833F-410B17FA2418

Cos it'll be posed summat like this.  The little handle will be quite prominent so I'm glad I bothered.

A85CCC4E-CC47-4BAC-BD0E-99B5F5D9896D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

Is this anywhere close?  I’ve shortened it a little in the interest of brevity.

5 minutes ago, Fritag said:

What about a week in October in the far North of Scotland, Christmas in the RAF club on Piccadilly, Skiing in January in Austria and in February at Chamonix.  Can't I go on them boss?

Well I reckon we could allow those addtions if perhaps we could squeeze in some preparatory work on a Jaguar?

Just saying!

Enjoy your travels!

T.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Just when you thought there was no more super detailing to do, he finds details none of the rest of us mortals even knew existed. and then prints the stuff too!

I s'pose the reality is that the poor old hawks have been pressed into service to help me learn and explore Fusion and resin printing.  But you should empathise with that Ian! You're just as bad as me! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Your new canopy frames are really looking the business, Steve! The handle was well worth including too.

Safe travels for the weekend, though if you're coming all this way I'd suggest a Rossi ice cream has to be added to the list ;)

James

• Haha 1

Exquisite. Sublime. Graceful. 

You come in here, drop two posts without as much as a by your leave and get us all fired up on Hawkery build stuff before casually mentioning you're off hollybobbing again.  Some folks have no consideration. 

Masterful canopy work though.

and enjoy the Shetlands!  (again)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

The Rossi lemon-Ice was the infant Fritag's preference.  I'll just have to check whether it still is......

You'd best have more than one, just to be sure. And if Fritag Snr fancies a trip along the pier, I believe they've got the first of the new trains commissioned now.

James

Mind blowing attention to detail - which shows in the results of your work on those canopies. Perfect little

models in themselves. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So then.

An absolutely right royal pain in the ar*e thing to have to try and reproduce in 1/72 scale is that white/cream sealant line (or whatever it is) all around the inside edge of the canopy frame; seen here.  Close up photo’s I’ve seen show that the line is at least in part on the outside of the canopy and does indeed look like sealant (to my untutored eye).

BA1CB8C8-72B5-4231-B8F1-567B909FD03C

I thought about not bothering.  I’m still thinking about not bothering.

But I’m testing out an idea or two before not bothering….

So when last seen the printed frame was like thus:

02BA221B-4188-441B-BD0B-1369D20CA6DC

And now it’s grown a small 0.3mm x 0.1mm extension or lip around the inside edge to mimic the sealant.  Quite surprised it printed at only 0.1mm thick - but it has.

C5EB68BC-8D14-4D4B-AD05-A70EF1525AC2

Thought some spares might be handy:

56A9F0F9-3493-45D0-922E-0BED27A3939C

Had to ask Mr Amazon for a new bottle of resin today.  I think I print too many test pieces/spares :blush:

One had a coat or two of colourcoats dark green….Sorry about the colour balance of the photo - it really is a good dark green….

A7BA1E40-BA13-43D8-8791-3651E7635A64

And some careful masking followed by more of the tamiya racing white:

678799EA-223E-49A5-9048-A937A3E7AAC2

Unmasked with fingers crossed:

156CE06C-FA95-465D-9F8B-76A87F9169E3

Tiny bit of clean-up required; but it might work.

Tomorrow I’ll have to see how the frame looks on the canopy.

More crossing of fingers….

• Like 24