A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Stepping back from undoubtedly deserved 'throttle praise' (I mean, who doesn't think that beats the band huh?) do you think the clear resin is a good adhesive on opaque pieces Steve?

I would use the stuff for almost everything nowadays but for a fear its opacity will prevent the resin curing 'out of sight' of the UV light's inroads.

Have you found it lets go underload when pressure is applied?

OH BY THE WAY HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Fritag said:

Am I daft finding summat as objectively insignificant as this really rather satisfying?

Not at all Steve: it's quite often the smallest embellishments that unify a model and those frottle prints really make the cockpits crackle with life now.

Most satisfying update -  and now back to your Malbec... 😁

• Haha 2

Magnificent work on the throttle levers, Steve. Absolutely crazy levels of detail, as we've come to expect from these builds :clap2:

James

• Thanks 1

I kept a cold, dark and distant eye on things while I was away, and (of course) remained wholly impressed with what I saw here.

Undercarriage jacks, wingtip nav lights, throttle quadrants and nose wheel doors .......... all a delight to watch being "magic'd" into existence. OK, I do realise it's not actually magic in its truest sense, but damn fine modelling nonetheless.

I'd join in the chorus for canopies, but might there be some canopy internals to fabricate first? I may have missed those entirely, but can't recall being impressed by them yet!

T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so.  It’s early on Saturday morning and I’m at leeds Bradford Airport with a couple of hours to fill before flying to Salzburg to go skiing at Alpbach.  If there’s any snow…

On 1/2/2023 at 6:59 PM, perdu said:

do you think the clear resin is a good adhesive on opaque pieces Steve?

I would use the stuff for almost everything nowadays but for a fear its opacity will prevent the resin curing 'out of sight' of the UV light's inroads.

Have you found it lets go underload when pressure is applied?

I don’t think it’s very good for opaque pieces Bill, for the reason you say - it won’t cure.

That said, I’ve been using it happily on very small opaque parts, such as the aerials and the throttle box!  I’ve been using the (water washable) clear printing resin, which is thinner than the ‘Limino’ brand clear resin (which I also have a 60g bottle of) and I’ve been applying small droplets with a fine brush and letting it flow around the join, rather like a weld and it’s really that ‘collar’ of cured clear resin that’s giving the bond.  If small enough the collar is invisible cos it’s clear and/or easily disguised with a wash like Flory’s dark dirt.  Before curing it’s also quite easy to wipe away any excess etc. with a damp cotton bud (being water washable).

It’s  also worked well for attaching the undercarriage doors where the join can have a small gap for the resin to flow into with capillary action and the UV light can reach. 

It’s also been good for fixing bits into out of the way nooks and crannies like the undercarriage bay.  A blob of clear resin did the trick and I didn’t have to worry too much about being super neat as it dried invisible. Touch of flat coat to take away the shine and who’d know it was there :whistle:

I should say that I wouldn’t use it on any load bearing join as the bond is definitely weak.  Indeed I think that’s been one of the benefits has been that I’ve been able to dislodge and reposition bits that I’ve misaligned :whistle:  The Limino resin might be stronger tho’  I haven’t used it yet. What’s your experience Bill?

I decanted some of the clear resin into one of the little microcentrifuge test tubes I use when thinning paint.  This is my set up.

y4m-Q2HZOYua6cinkvZ05lZteGW1GbF24v74fKs6

In the piccie below you can see  main undercarriage doors during UV curing.  The bright highlights are the clear resin.  I basically just applied a blob of resin to cover the contact point in the undercarriage bay and let capillary action take it where it would.  I used a crude jig (visible between the doors) to hold the doors at the right angle/in the right place.

y4mawdz2Un19Nhn4ud-YahvW69Od4hPxhPiQvjlK

In other news.  I failed to finish the hawks before Christmas, failed to finish them before New Year and failed to finish them before going skiing.  I’ll also fail to get this thread to 200 pages cos they are now basically finished apart from going over them to patch up any worn paintwork and/or tatty bits and to finish off and fix the canopies.

Pictures?

When last I posted, these were the bits waiting to be assembled:

Pylons/CBLS/Bomblets and Jet pipes/turbine facsimile:

y4mq2WBA36TQGuZowbNHhoahUsf-C7SB7MTTYT5D

And starter exhaust pipe and some pipe that I can’t remember what’s it’s for.

y4m5CY04UzXxWI3Ab_qvj4L6Pu1j_HAto8-DI1pe

Oh, and some lights and aerials and  ejection seats and Master pitots and canopies not pictured.

Let’s begin with the Pylons/CBLS shall we?

Bigger piccies:

y4m8EyEfwp3Z5XJhFg6YCb5s3px6-PpZsknaN6g2

y4mWJvP4v61Fb4enco2x_D8boF1U67UhvCSzdNbz

I’m pleased with the finish on the CBLS even if I say so as shouldn’t.

Tail nav light and  fuselage top aerials and strobe (all printed, strobe in clear resin):

y4meI-8GKyQ9nOBsdUPPY4YS0j3N3Ilo-SWu_qn4

y4mmosEdtVbL8KH8geURgfNh3Q0L9rGmVDaOQWno

y4mpxcidMjp34WqD4gKMGo7mAAi1ZeJlVZ-U6C2C

y4mpSMGrAiC2GhQCpR_ky-_hyzb3XMLFsR0dzvkr

I was a bit nervy drilling into the top surface of the noses of the Hawks for the tiny triangular aerial.  Measured several times.  Made a tiny dint with sewing machine needle.  measured again.  Etc. etc.

Unknown pipe on the side:

y4mIjdPVdOoKiRC485-hwDgyBXlJjgjsDTVBZQVn

Starter exhaust in the ‘ole in the fuselage top.

y4mqAoZBTgvuKVcpjnq0i21HfbOhc58XAdDjnPrY

Not sure they were worth the effort as they can barely been seen on either Hawk.  Catch the light and glint at some angles of viewing and that’s about it.

Jet pipes:

y4mosoZcwP260hkLTaInlATomPeMGJesesQcCB3I

y4mPu-UTV5UPmxewd_o8ML7d8feK-95xQs4wJoJn

No-one’s gonna be so ungallant as to look up a ladies jet pipe with a torch are they?

y4mm00fEzz9b-lVAegfXTGuy-i3PrkLwYthQcUCL

y4meuA0gVY933GEKuhYCJvmTTp1sfS5dhTHsQ3rT

And the Master pitot probes.  Primes with Mr metal primer, airbrushed with alclad aluminium and just dry fitted at the mo’.  May or may not glue them:

y4mNpvgWdRxIq4wEp1sYenONEYx3GfV1GFSgTqPj

y4moZ6fZlg4uK19f6TMU4EZdah-qJrifp1CNG64p

The pitots are beautiful.  Them as with long memories may remember that I fixed brass tubing into the nose to form the housing for the pitot.  I’m glad I did that as they fit snugly and securely and thankfully at the right orientation…

And finally for now.  The ejection seats:

y4mxqle96oCwF87zhWp0iopbWTCtLyiBt3EGimVr

y4mxqQpLt7-LN1Pb5Ww4ylKVgCoGAcRT0GtEzTAy

y4mghh1D_dLO205vsLXRkz_nmzRaFP6Hxbs8CtFM

y4m-trO6IAMSLvlVG8AITbw3FeVha1EDB0bqZsPP

Very nearly there.  But first some skiing.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 39

Well, what can I say, Steve, other than flipping amazing? These really should be on the contest table at Telford this year. However, for now, enjoy the skiing (hopefully with snow).

As for the rest of us, we've got until he's back to fill up 15 pages to reach the double ton :whistle:

James

• Haha 5

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72.

Wot? No canopies?

Unparalleled Hawkery there Steve.   Can I say unparalleled when there's two of them?  or could only one be unparalleled and the other would have to be merely exceptional?   In that case, the unparalleled one is the mean grey/green fighting machine. 

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

As for the rest of us, we've got until he's back to fill up 15 pages to reach the double ton :whistle:

Ought to be a doddle James. There's all that speculation on the canopies for a start. Will he fit them closed and obscure much of the internal finery, or if posed open, there must be more hingey, latchy, jack type internals to fabricate? 

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Unparalleled Hawkery there Steve.

Totally agree Alan. Wonderful work indeed.

So I wondered when the next holiday was due Steve, seems it's upon us already. May you be blessed with as much snow as we had in Alta and Bodo to make your trip a good'n

Enjoy your hols!

T.

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning, as we have become accustomed to of course. Have fun skiing. Get some cycling and walking in too, then you can reduce the number of vacations needed this year and give us more of this stuff!

Ian

• Haha 9

?

I mean

How on earth?

y4mxqQpLt7-LN1Pb5Ww4ylKVgCoGAcRT0GtEzTAy

Rubs away the nose whilst detailing and stuff, realises and comes up with a makeshift fix involving printed skin templates.

Puts paint on and has unconscionably marvellous noseline contours in black white and red to beat any I have ever seen.

Simply stunned at these two little beauts.

Thanks Steve, hope there's enough white for your glissading pleasures

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

There's all that speculation on the canopies for a start.

And theres me thinking he had cleaned them pretty well. :P

Out with the Greygate I suppose.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Ought to be a doddle James. There's all that speculation on the canopies for a start. Will he fit them closed and obscure much of the internal finery, or if posed open, there must be more hingey, latchy, jack type internals to fabricate? 

Oh, absolutely Terry! And will he need to indicate some hint of lubricant on the hinges? And what about those "remove before flight" tags? Not forgetting the drip tray for any oil leaks, or the yellow warning cone for the slippery floor caused by said leaks... ;)

James

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Can I say unparalleled when there's two of them?

As long as they're parked at an angle you should be safe I reckon. ;) :D

Enjoy the skiing Steve @Fritag& hope the Snow Gods are feeling benevolent, nearest I ever got to Alpbach was Kitzbuhel, a lovely part of the world. Hawks looking good. 👍

Steve.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If this is the level of detail he intends to bring to his Jaguar build then I am seriously going to have to up my game in an attempt to match his 3D printing skills when I have no intent to buy a 3D printer so building my own Jaguar will have to settle on older more available products and skills.

Gondor