A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

and I’m gonna cut myself some slack on that basis :D

Just this once, and just because it's you :rofl:

What amazes me is the clean demarcation edges you obtained by masking with regular Tamiya tape :worthy: I gave up using that because I always got rough edges.

Enjoy Scotland! :D

Ciao 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

What amazes me is the clean demarcation edges you obtained by masking with regular Tamiya tape :worthy: I gave up using that because I always got rough edges.

I always cut a fresh edge on the tape with a new blade; but there’s still room for improvement - I should investigate.

The discrepancies of scheme give you all the freedom you need with the masking.

Nice books Terry, I love lots of data, cant beat photos.

Unless the real deal is sat in the back garden.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I always cut a fresh edge on the tape with a new blade; but there’s still room for improvement - I should investigate.

I use either Tamiya tape for curves or Oramask, according to how tricky is the area to mask (Tamiya tape for trickier areas)

Ciao

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Whenever I have delicate masking challenges I use Aizu as the primary delineation, then half overlap that with Tamiya, leaving a border of Aizu as my primary line of defense.

The 1mm is always a good candidate though I have gone down to the 0.4 as occasion demand.

Another benefit of the Aizu is that because of the narrow widths you can really burnish it down to get a nice sharp edge without the dangers of paint lift 

• Like 7

I now really like the Tamiya 1,2 and 3mm tapes, due mainly to the protective plastic covers they have around the tape that keeps the edges clean and sharp. The three widths suit 90% of the demarcation tasks I need. Anything thinner needed I cut down normal Tamiya tape on an Infini models cutting board - using a sharp scalpel blade on one of these gives super clean edges.

Keith

• Like 8

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice books Terry, I love lots of data, cant beat photos.

If I remember Bill (the big if) I will bring them up to the great event in November and you can see how very interesting and helpful both publications are!

Interesting contributions on masking here Steve.

As always "THE thread to be at"!

Terry

• Like 1

Nice work Steve!

After your every post, I hardly prevent myself from restoring the old Matchbox Redhawk model I built 30 years ago. But I have to finish first ongoing Blackbirds/Oxcarts, Flankers, Vipers before jumping into world of Hawks.

Serkan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Interesting contributions on masking here

Agreed and noted; thanks G, Alan & Keith.

5 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

But I have to finish first ongoing Blackbirds/Oxcarts, Flankers, Vipers before jumping into world of Hawks.

So many aircraft to make masterpieces of :D

Ok so; we're off to the North of Scotland this afternoon for a break walking and cycling (weather permitting - it is Scotland) but I did get the LAG on the Valley Hawk.

Used Humbrol Acrylic 166.  Not because I really wanted to but because it's what I used on the Chipmunk and JPs and wanted to keep the commonality of colour.

I didn't enjoy the masking or the painting much.  Masking was fiddly and I've never found the Humbrol Acrylics easy to airbrush.  The LAG went on as well as I've managed to get it to do.  Which isn't setting the bar very high.  It's not a very smooth finish.  But it's on and it can harden for a week before I attend to the few oversprays and slightly tatty edges here and there.

Anyway, here she is now:

C4AFB0AC-D844-4ADE-BAB2-996A49885A0F

59E28249-8C0E-4D63-9FE6-8D5233E403F1

And here is the pair of them.  I reckon they've survived the basic painting phase pretty much as I would have hoped for.

5484A3D7-1365-4FA8-854C-4D23F9438C44

So when i get back from Scotland it'll be patching up; clear coat; decals and I'll try and bring them to life with some staining, weathering etc.

The Valley Hawks were kept clean and tidy; but they were machines in use and had weather stains and stains from leaks/airflow etc so there's at least some fun to be had.

• Like 30

Hard to choose a favourite from those two. Both beautiful paint jobs and really looking the part. If you had to twist my arm, I think I’m leaning towards the high-vis scheme as it looks so good on the Hawk. 

Lovely!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so; back from the North of Scotland.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:22 AM, mark.au said:

Enjoy your trip - pics or it didn’t happen

Thanks Mark (et al.) - And just cos you asked.... :whistle:

Half a dozen or so random piccies from bike rides/walks various last week:

97D70356-36B9-4640-8498-CCF382ED5F82

AD7BE76C-080F-41A4-8CBA-AAF14F80B7B2

0667894E-D6A4-446D-B726-36308AB78230

8B314220-5AB2-45E6-A877-19C08E988F0D

ABD4D5E6-ACA4-40D7-A11F-33585B59B90F

D68F0FA0-327E-4B5B-9875-64292DE22094

4F4B2B8B-F4CD-427F-8CC7-60E5D1747F50

Even with only an iPhone, Scotland takes a good photo.  Can we say that it happened now Mark?

Ok; when I say random I obviously didn't include any piccies from the 50mph wind, horizontal rain interludes.  But it was Scotland and such weather passed on by quickly (at about 50mph actually).  Made for tough cycling on occasions though.  But we (sensibly - we have been there before) were using e-bikes.

Right, to business.

Powerful busy at work on return from leave, but have managed to inch forward at tad on the Hawks.

The knowledgeable and eagle eyed amongst you (that's all of you obviously) will have appreciated that in painting the Hawks I painted over the lamps at the tip of the noses.  Rather than trying to mask the lamps I thought it would be simpler and neater to paint over them and then micromesh off the paint.

The plan worked, but the join between the lamps and the fuselage lacked definition.  Needed a panel line or two.  But  bu**ered if I was gonna try scribing em.

Time to have a bash with a pencil à la Tony @TheBaron

Improvised a mask with a punch and a couple of layers of Tamiya tape and then a bit of pencil eye shadow around the lamp lens.

97B61777-4C28-42DD-AFBF-77048E5CC704

And a bit more masking and another line further back.

86DBB8D6-39C3-4DFA-A1BC-C5C0484B2DB4

C2F1A364-E2A9-4E1B-9758-CD88C1D7AC54

Small thing but not ineffective me thinks.  I like the way it came out on the valley Hawk particularly - might tone it back a teensy tad (technical term) on the TWU Hawk.

Few hours work in all this believe it or not.

Might become a fan of Tony's trompe l'oeil technique with pencil (alliterating trompe l'oeil - how 'bout that).

Off to London on Friday to meet up with some old (and getting older) Jag mates for a beer and supper and to plan the next ski trip... Life does seem to get in the way of modelling.  P'raps that's why this thread is 7 years old...

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 23
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, kev67 said:

are you going to use the masters turned brass for the pitot tubes at the front, I used some on my Harrier and are brilliant 

Absolutely Kev.  The fitting on the top of each nose is the base of the pitot tube and I fashioned it out of a length of brass tube let into the nose.  Hopefully the masters brass pitots will just slot securely in.  I agree they're brilliant and if they looks as good as they do on your harrier I'll be happy.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4