A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

like zoro dear boy! 🦸‍♂️  Wonderful mask work.  (Sorry)

I’m a bit late and as it’s worked aaaand you’ve done the scheme before and it looks great so forgive / ignore me.

Every time I paint red, I always undercoat with yellow. I can’t remember who I picked this up from but it does give the colour a nice glow.  By the by the red you have popped on looks spectacular as Does the Fix on the IP.  👌

lovely stuff Steve.

Johnny.

• Like 2

Very nice work on the red there Mr F!

Totally agree on the thickness of Revell paint, far thicker than Tamiya or Mr Hobby. I used it for the dayglow on my Vampire, but the airbrush wasn't all that happy spraying it at my usual 50/50 mix I use for the others. Will try your suggestion on thinning ratios next time

James

• Like 1

Nice red kiddo, hmm, sexy gloves too.

No talc I suppose?

That Tamiya thinners is one of the marvels of modern times, I use it for thinning most of the acrylics in my armory.

As displayed here it works bootifully.

Hawk looking very nice.

• Haha 2

On 10/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, 81-er said:

Totally agree on the thickness of Revell paint, far thicker than Tamiya or Mr Hobby. I used it for the dayglow on my Vampire, but the airbrush wasn't all that happy spraying it at my usual 50/50 mix I use for the others. Will try your suggestion on thinning ratios next time

two-thirds to 75% thinner was a bit of a guesstimate James.  I had to thin it in the pot before I could even use a pipette to transfer the paint to the little disposable test tubes I mix the paint in.  And then I thinned it again by more than 50/50.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:13 AM, perdu said:

Nice red kiddo, hmm, sexy gloves too.

No talc I suppose?

Bill!

(No - nice talc free blue nitrile)

This is a very uncomfortable conversation.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:01 PM, Brandy said:

Bootiful! - Even though it's an 'awk, not a turkey. (If you're a Brit of a certain age you'll know where that's from!

Not only of a certain age but lived in Norfolk at the relevant time.

Ok so.  I've done (hopefully) the most nerve racking bit of masking with the trainer scheme.  The black upper nose.  A few piccies:

D2A6FC53-0493-4E90-9628-3676CBC1CDAB

B3AB1C54-E834-4AAD-8108-F842E4A4AE54

B423E083-E07A-4FA1-AF3B-653D41FD935D

Tamiya Nato black thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner.

It's sat hardening orf now, and I'll check it carefully in a bit.  Looks like it might be ok.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Might be ok?? It looks perfect from here. The gaps between black and red appear perfect all the way round.

Ian

May I be the first to second that!

Terry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Looks like it might be ok.

It do too, it really does.

As we discovered with Jet Provosts and Chipmunks the most uncomfortable bits come when getting down and dirty with anti-dazzle panels.

Super job sir, superB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I don't know, I think I see a few errant microns here and there...       :tease:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. But I'd take it if I were you. Perfect is good enough, there is no reason to try and make it any better.     :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

Just about. Just. Lovely.

Interesting that you painted it outside to in.  That made the masking far more tricky I would have thought.  Maybe you like difficult? 😂

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, Biggles87 said:

It is nice innit. I have some of that earmarked for a Gnat which has been waiting to be painted for a couple of years now

I can’t now remember how I came across Revell 330 as being a decent match for the RAF trainer red; but I know I did a good a amount of googling/research.  Anyways, John, I reckon you should have a share of the stick given me for prevaricating over painting!

12 hours ago, Brandy said:

The gaps between black and red appear perfect all the way round.

Very slight sliver of a contour flaw on the port side not visible on the above photos - Now sorted with a small strip of masking tape and a single squirt of Nato black.

10 hours ago, perdu said:

As we discovered with Jet Provosts and Chipmunks the most uncomfortable bits come when getting down and dirty with anti-dazzle panels.

We did; and as I recall we needed a bit of Bill input to get it right.

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I don't know, I think I see a few errant microns here and there...       :tease:

Perhaps the sliver defect was visible on the above photos :P :rofl2:

8 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

You clearly haven’t forgotten how to mask and paint Steve!  

It’s coming back slowly, Dave ;)

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Interesting that you painted it outside to in.  That made the masking far more tricky I would have thought.  Maybe you like difficult? 😂

Do I heck!

The problem is that the line between the red and white is the key to getting the look right.  It’s a subtle curve over a double curved surface and I needed that line to guide the line of the black, rather than vice versa.  If you see wot I mean.

It just needed a bit of thought (admittedly not easy for me).   Started by laying done some guide strips on the inside of the anti dazzle panel to get the line correct/symmetrical. 

FE547C21-14BC-42D5-8EFD-0EC7D96C193B

And then butted the actual masking strips up tight alongside the guides.

81AF139D-2156-4FC7-97AE-0FAB373B8888

We’re orf walking/cycling in Scotland again for a week on Friday.  I’m going to try and get the Light Aircraft Grey on the wings before then and that’ll be the basic painting done on both of them.

I’ll set about decaling and some (subtle) weathering when I get back.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

We’re orf walking/cycling in Scotland again for a week on Friday

Forget red, white and LAG, just colour me green!

The LAG masking will be interesting around those wing fences (probably elsewhere too). The demarcation appears to up to the wing fence, but this shot suggests otherwise, perhaps a tad inside the actual fence........ 

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/details-photo/bae-hawk/MEV-11954618

and on a Finish example:

BAe_Hawk_Mk_66_Turku_Airshow_2019.jpg

I'm sure you must have looked at the inside many times, so will know the correct answer anyway, but tricky nonetheless, so good luck and enjoy Scotland!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy holidays guv.

Did Finnish Hawks have the same demarcation as RAF Hawks Terry?

I am off for an hour or two of 'window making avoidance' therapy research, therapeutic they tells me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Did Finnish Hawks have the same demarcation as RAF Hawks Terry?

Yes Bill, according to this reference (which I thoroughly recommend to anyone interested in the subject), the former Swiss Air Force Hawk Mk 66's were painted in standard RAF training colours (by Bae on delivery) and these subsequently went to Finland, who retained the scheme until June 2015 when they went to camouflage.

IMG20221005093415

IMG20221005093552

I also have a similar publication on the Swedish Air Force - brilliant reference stuff!

Apologies for slight thread drift there Steve, but it is about 'Awks!

Terry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

The LAG masking will be interesting around those wing fences (probably elsewhere too). The demarcation appears to up to the wing fence, but this shot suggests otherwise, perhaps a tad inside the actual fence........ 

The (very useful) photo on the cover of the Roy Braybrook book shows the line to be just inside the wing fence too.

58495727-E5FA-404B-B3F6-CBE70920AEE6

One thing that Terry’s photo of the Finnish hawk also shows is that there are some subtle variations of the contours of the black/white/red divisions on the nose between different Hawks.

If you compare the shape of the white space between the red and black on the Finnish Hawk with the photo of 312 on the previous page of this thread (copied again here) you’ll see what I mean.  On 312 the white tapers more sharply and is narrower.  I don’t think it’s just a perspective/photo/Finnish difference as I’ve seen the same when looking across multiple photo’s of RAF Hawks.

FC4E1412-4DF0-4D3F-92DB-F8463502EB3B

I took as my guide the phot I have of me in 176, the aircraft I’m modelling; which to my eyes is slightly different to 312:

9C63079A-E691-4D5B-9460-B7EAE3E5AA77

So I reckon there’s a bit of variation between airframes and I’m gonna cut myself some slack on that basis :D

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

question though. Why do you use Mr Colour thinners with Tamiya and not Tamiya thinners? 

I have a fancy that the strong lacquer/drying retarder in Mr Colour helps with a smoother finish.  No empirical evidence for that tho.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1