A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

One down, one to go.  And then we stand ready to c**k the whole thing up with the attempted application of paint.

A gentle ripple of appreciative applause sussurates up from the stalls...

We with the popcorn have little expectation of a need to re-sup from the foyer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Why is it that at moments like this I suddenly need to leave my seat and visit the loo!

Let me know if I miss anything Bill!

T.

Can you bring a bottle of Kia-ora please Tez mate?

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

We finally got there third time of asking.  In previous years the weather always got in the way; either low cloud or fog at Tingwall or Foula - or both.  This time the weather was compliant :D.  Where where you based/on route to when you flew past?

Ice Station Kilo.  Probably looking for the Shetlands AGI or the Shetlands contingency tug, back in the day.  Either that or on a PD to Sumburgh and Kirkwall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I'm sure he just mentioned the "P" word. 

Don't stare too much, it'll get spooked and run away.

It's now been several hours since he threatened spilling paint.

I reckon he's found an excuse to go off on holiday again 

:whistle:

• Haha 11

6 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I'm sure he just mentioned the "P" word. 

Don't stare too much, it'll get spooked and run away.

3 hours ago, hendie said:

It's now been several hours since he threatened spilling paint.

I reckon he's found an excuse to go off on holiday again 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Skiing

Oi - heckling from the cheap seats :D 

Not that I should dignify such matters with a reply ;)… But…  I don’t do running much these days, there are no Fritag holidays in September (October may be a different matter :whistle:) and skiing ain’t ‘till January…and February.

But as it happens I have been thinking about colours.

The plan for the Chivenor Hawk is Colourcoats Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey.

I also got some Colourcoats Light Aircraft Grey for the Valley Hawk, but on reflection I want the colours of the Valley Hawk to exactly match my chippie and JPs so I’d better use the same paints:  Tamiya flat white, Humbrol Light Aircraft Grey 166, Revell Fiery Red 330 and Tamiya Nato Black.

And in the:

3 hours ago, hendie said:

several hours since he threatened spilling paint.

Some Tamiya flat white (thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner) has indeed been thrown at the Hawks.

51539FE4-693D-4340-B9A8-04C973D5020B

As a final primer on the Chivenor Hawk on the right.  It’s a nice fine pigment and, whilst it doesn’t cover like a purpose-primer (hence the grey plastic still showing through on the nose), it also doesn’t risk building up over-thick paint layers, and it’s enough of a coverage to show up any filler-nasties (none so far as I can see) and act as a key for  the top coats (I think).

And as a top coat for the white sections of the Valley Hawk on the left.  No marbling or pre-shading techniques for the Valley Hawk.  The jets were well looked after and the glossy paint didn’t really deteriorate.  I’ll just do the same post-painting tinkering as I did for the JPs.

Clever old me marked the masking with a ‘V’ and a ‘C’ so’s I wouldn’t end up with the jets in the wrong colours…

Need a rest now.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 24

A lovely start on the Hawks Steve, nothing to add except how good your changes to the kits already looks.

I do have a little Q. for you though re: the Tamiya modelling stand device.

I saw yours and various other of our friends in use and made the decision to buy the set, but mine doesn't have rubber sleeves exactly where they would be invaluable as your pair do.

Yours seem to have different sleeves to each other, have you sliced little lengths of rubber tube then added superglue or were you luckier than me?

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

Yours seem to have different sleeves to each other, have you sliced little lengths of rubber tube then added superglue or were you luckier than me?

The stand didn’t come with any sleeves, Bill.

My sleeves are black PVC electrical wire sleeving that I stripped of a cable and repurposed.   It didn’t need gluing around the stand as the PVC was  rigid enough to clip over the wire arms of the stand and hold itself in place.

I don’t have any left or I’d send you some..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 4:03 PM, phantom61 said:

Steve ...
I am delighted with your works ...
I decided ... I'll go to the tank

🤣🤣🤣

Steve ...
done ... in a week off work ...
you can also do something interesting ...
Zvezda 1/72
Scale figures 75

IMG_1743

IMG_1741

IMG_1740

ciao Steve

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 12

On 7/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, Brandy said:

Rumour has it that you have quite a few more vices that have nothing to do with them.......

Only rumour though, not at all an accusation.....

Ian

Nothing proven I believe....

• Haha 3

On 9/4/2022 at 7:20 AM, Fritag said:

Get them legs sorted and go Terry,

In pre Op room waiting for surgeon as we speak!

Nice to see paint on the Hawks before I go under the knife (laser actually but knife sounds more dramatic)

T.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

The stand didn’t come with any sleeves, Bill.

My sleeves are black PVC electrical wire sleeving that I stripped of a cable and repurposed.   It didn’t need gluing around the stand as the PVC was  rigid enough to clip over the wire arms of the stand and hold itself in place.

I don’t have any left or I’d send you some..

Oh  that seems doable, I may even find a few strips of outer cable of my own down in the cell.

Good idea, my stand needs something just exactly like that.

👍