A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Me no understandee

Did you actually zap the resin before you locked and loaded the windscreen?

Or did you not?

Where did the loose resin come from to bezagger the screen at all?

No understando

• Like 2

On 02/06/2022 at 12:12, Fritag said:

So I can steal the 6 from XX164 (Xtradecal) to add to XX172 (Modeldecal) to make XX176.

One thing you may notice with that sort of mix and match Steve is that Modeldecals, brilliant as they were (still are) had much thicker carrier film than Xtradecals - so you may get a noticeable step in the serial. Might be better off getting a set of the Xtradecal generic codes sheet?

I only mention this due to your obvious never ending quest for the completely perfect Hawk(s)....!! :)

Keith

• Like 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Did you actually zap the resin before you locked and loaded the windscreen?

Or did you not?

Where did the loose resin come from to bezagger the screen at all?

Locked and loaded with Cyano, Bill

Then liquidy resin applied as filler.

But capillary action did its worst during the time before zapping.

Capiche?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Said it before Fritag and will say it again, theres a market for the stuff you are doing here.

To be fair with six bikes in the garage you probably ain't got time.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

But capillary action did its worst during the time before zapping.

That was the reason for my suggestion on the smear of PVA, to block the capillary action

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You know what they say Steve, if at first you don't succeed ..............

............. so much for skydiving.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 12

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so.  Stand by for deja vu.

Windscreen fixing attempt number two.  

Printed and painted new windscreen frames, Vac’d new windscreens.  Combined the two using further-thinned thin gators grip.  Printed and painted new coamings with even more of a slimmed down design to create a bit more clearance and hopefully avoid the unwanted capillary action effect of the previous effort.

Coamings (and TWU Hawk weapons sight glass) fixed with more further-thinned thin gators grip and windscreens fixed with medium CA applied all around the join.

Basic fit is good; just a very slight ridge to be fettled and filled to invisibility 🤞

TWU Hawk.

Front weapons sight in situ.  Rear coaming left off cos the weapons sight supports are liable to be knocked orf.

754394C6-DCB3-4C50-B7D8-F1A25B5101BC

Valley Hawk

No weapons sight so both coamings fitted.

0A74CF2D-7641-49AA-A8A2-72516CE40F3A

And just cos it’s been a while since the home-brew early-headbox Mk10 seats have seen the light of day.

2510EDBE-1006-40A4-AB4C-EED6572F7C78

C38170CF-C3BF-4BCA-8032-D88C6442BC9B

Finally getting the windscreens fixed feels like a big step forward.

Fettling and fairing-in to be finalised and then…. Well then I’ll begin to run out of stuff to do and will have to think about paint…

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 20

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

will have to think about paint…

Sure..... :devil:  :rofl:

New windshields and coamings looking ace, Steve! :worthy:  :worthy:  :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

that last pic was worth the wait.  For some reason that coaming really does it for me - the nice thin trailing edge with a dab of weathering really looks the part.

I'd try and say more but I haven't had my coffee yet and still got bags to pack.

Wonderful stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

will have to think about paint…

Wait for it...."oh bother*, it's dried up"

*Insert vulgarity of choice.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 14/06/2022 at 22:15, Fritag said:

2510EDBE-1006-40A4-AB4C-EED6572F7C78

C38170CF-C3BF-4BCA-8032-D88C6442BC9B

Those two shots are stunning! Shame about the leak but you’ve Handled it beautifully. I tend to only use Gators grip for clear parts these days. I can’t be doing with the “do it again” dance.  

I have a Gnat and hawk double Airfix boxing. 1/48. They were my sons but he gave up on plastic aeroplanes unfortunately. I am now in the process of dismantling a part built kit. Not too bad as seen here. (Gnat)

52152694979_b66dc2c135_b.jpg

The reason I’m asking is the detail looked really good to my untrained eye. I was thinking of making this one soon as my ocd for unfinished kits is burning terribly.  Is it just inaccurate? I know it’s a different Aeroplane but there’s a hawk in the same box. Kinda makes them the same. Ish. Right? 🤪

paint soon you say. lovely. 🎨😀

Johnny. 

• Like 4

On 6/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Fritag said:

Ok so.  Stand by for deja vu.

So, my question would be, is it really deja vu if it's even better than the first time, which was already pretty awesome?

I'm very much looking forward to the prospect of paint on these beauties Steve. Any thoughts on paint types at this point? My experience with MRP Lacquer has been a very positive one and Tamiya's newer lacquer's are good too. There is much choice out there though of course!

Terry

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm very much looking forward to the prospect of paint on these beauties Steve. Any thoughts on paint types at this point? My experience with MRP Lacquer has been a very positive one and Tamiya's newer lacquer's are good too. There is much choice out there though of course!

How many years behind 'mean' Hawk do you want the man to go now, suggesting a change of paint in mid-stream!

What the very heck are you like?

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Bill, since this thread was started, not only has 3D printing been invented and become commonplace, but our hero has become a master in the design and output of said technology. 

We can only guess what new technology will have replaced the airbrush and paint when he's ready to color it in

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

12 minutes ago, perdu said:

How many years behind 'mean' Hawk do you want the man to go now, suggesting a change of paint in mid-stream!

I take your point Bill, I suppose if I'm not careful, such suggestions might lead the lad into "painting perpetuity"!

🤔

T

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Aw shucks, thanks all.

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I know it’s a different Aeroplane but there’s a hawk in the same box. Kinda makes them the same. Ish. Right? 🤪

Same-ish :D  Both advanced trainers, both used by the Red Arrows.  Both beautiful aircraft.  Trouble for you Johnny will be that they were always kept nice and clean n'tidy; what'll you do with the Flory?  Anywhichways, a @The Spadgent build of a Gnat - I'm in....

5 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looking excellent, you certainly mastered the 3D side of things

Thanks Kev, means a lot coming from you.

5 hours ago, kev67 said:

when do you think the Hawks will be completed 🤐

Then you went and spoiled it and gave the less civilised members the opportunity for a laugh!! :rofl2:

2 hours ago, hendie said:

:rofl2::clap:

Ha!  Good one :D

New around here are you?    :D

2 hours ago, giemme said:

He must be....

:D:D 

See what I mean? :D

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Any thoughts on paint types at this point?

I'm thinking colourcoats for the TWU Hawk - some dark green and dark sea grey arrived in the post today as it 'appens.

The valley Hawk will probably be in whatever I used for the Chipmunk and JP - same colour scheme ought to be the same colours!  If I can remember that far back....

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I refer my learned friend to my previous reply.  Same paints for the Valley Hawk.  If they still make them.....  Whoever 'they' are ......

1 hour ago, hendie said:

We can only guess what new technology will have replaced the airbrush and paint when he's ready to color it in

I've got to finish this pair of Hawks just to escape from a life of ridicule.....

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

such suggestions might lead the lad into "painting perpetuity"!

See?

Ok so.  Following in the giant footprints of them more capable than me I experimented with liquid resin as a filler for the delicate join line around the windscreens.

My set up.

Some liquid resin decanted into a little sealable test tube.

62DB1B2E-89EE-40F2-B98E-64D437BC7A37

Before:

754394C6-DCB3-4C50-B7D8-F1A25B5101BC

After:

EE2DE265-DF89-43FD-A53D-3F65FE1AC19D

To say I'm sold on the idea of using it as a fine filler is a masterpiece of understatement.  It works brilliantly.

You can just see the liquid resin here as a shiny thin line after careful application with a fine brush.

B1E4B837-E4AB-4E7A-99F7-77C527294D45

Semi-cured for about 15 seconds with the UV torch and it sands back easily.

Then complete the curing with another 30 seconds or so.

And Bob's your uncle.

47CCDCFC-6A68-4301-9C2F-68E2F974AC77

Job done.  Start to finish on both Hawks in about 30 minutes.

What a product....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I've got to finish this pair of Hawks just to escape from a life of ridicule.....

No worries there Steve, by the time these are finished, anyone who vaguely remembers them will be long dead!

Ian

• Haha 8