A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

By the way, I have been meaning to ask - what's the orange-y filler you are using? It looks very fine grained, but I don't recognise it.

It's Halford's Filler Primer - I got it because I saw what good use Tom Probert makes of it on his vac forms.

It's good stuff and it accepts sanding/micromeshing/polishing beautifully.

But the clues in the name - it's quite thick and it ain't totally smooth when it goes on. I wouldn't use it over any fine detail or anywhere I couldn't polish it back.

Could be good for any area of the Sea Vixen your still filling and rubbing down tho'

• Like 1

Perhaps not much to show for a few sessions work - but it looks more refined and with finer and more defined detail - which is what I was after.

I think that's a significant improvement Steve, well worth the time spent!

Keith

• Like 1

A lot to show I would say, much better. Perhaps a daft question, and probably defeats the object, but would it be worth decanting the Halfords primer to see what effect it would give? Never tried it myself - decanting rattle can paint or Halfords. Wondered if it would give a Mr Surfacer type finish? Just an idle thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been entirely idle modelling wise - but am making rather heavy weather of it at the mo :)

The wings as moulded by Airfix are a bit on the crude side - and just plain wrong in a few places. It's taken me a bit of time to figure it all out TBH.

The wing upper surfaces need some work as follows:

Annotated%20top%20wing_zpsr733gdil.jpg

I'm gonna partially fill the panel lines using the various Mr Surfacer type products in an effort to tone them down.

I've got some PE for the wing fences and I'll use clear sprue for the nav lights.

I'll drop the flaps - most of the parked pictures I can see of the Hawk seem to show the flaps fully down (50ish degrees) as opposed to in the take off position (25ish degrees) - but this is an impression so if anyone knows better let me know.

Not sure what to do about replacing the vortex generators they're so tiny. Might ignore them.

The under-surfaces also need work:

Annotated%20underwing_zpswj7eqeae.jpg

The U/C bay is the wrong shape - Airfix did it better on the original tooling - and the flaps are wrong.

Looked at from below - the flaps on the real thing extend further inboard (i.e are longer) than when looked at from above. That's because the inboard few inches of the flaps are faired over on the top of the wing.

Airfix has missed this feature on the current tooling of the Hawk. Although curiously it got it right on the original tooling. Here's a comparison made after I've begun playing with the wing:

comparison_zpsafhwky3q.jpg

Odd that.

And here's how it looks dry fitted to the fuselage:

IMG_3966_zps2o1lbml7.jpg

Another thing I think is wrong with the Airfix wing is that the area of the fuselage/wing root fairings is too narrow at the rear and not quite the right shape when viewed from above.

Here's a comparison with the Revell kit - which is spot on when compared with the plans I have.

It make the Airfix back-end look just too skinny (thinking about it Airfix did the same thing with its JP5 I built - but I left it alone).

Revell_zpskgefk4en.jpg

For the Hawk I think I can improve the look a bit by extending and remodelling the wing root fairings - The fuselage itself isn't that much too skinny:

So - I've glued in some plastic card to the offending areas:

IMG_3952_zpskk2o5faf.jpg

IMG_3953_zpsyaruqw6f.jpg

Shaped the extensions using plans as a guide:

IMG_3963_zps8uqvz5fr.jpg

And it captures the angles, shape and size better:

IMG_3969_zpsb8isk2qv.jpg

IMG_3968_zps3tx1b8fn.jpg

Although it will take some rather careful filling and smoothing to blend it in with the existing wing root fairing:

IMG_3971_zpsqgydc1tg.jpg

Another feature of the flap housing is that the top skin of the wing extends further aft than the bottom.

So f you compare what you can see of the top of the flap and the bottom when it is retracted it looks as if the flap is broader/deeper underneath than at the top.

Also its a slotted flap system and the little forward flap disappears inside the wing when the flaps are retracted.

Anyways what this means is modelling terms is that a vertical edge where the flap meet the wing is wrong. So this is what I had when I cut out the flaps:

IMG_3937_zpsuchv5qon.jpg

And the way to deal with it is to carefully chisel and scrape away some of the thickness of the wing thus:

IMG_3938_zpsiwdyadr2.jpg

To produce this:

Flap%20overhang_zpsshl6bsu8.jpg

IMG_3943_zpstqsfwry9.jpg

Thought it wos gonna be easier than this............

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12

There goes another half hour - catching up on this thread is, as with Chippy and JPs, a great education, and makes me look forward to my next flying lesson (next month) all the more. The top deck of the Hawk is looking great, and one wonders how much of the original kit will be left at the end!

Justin

• Like 2

...and one wonders how much of the original kit will be left at the end!

Not much, but that's the good thing with this thread: top scratch building tutorial! :thumbsup::clap:

Ciao

• Like 2

Should be just enough to say "This was an Airfix kit, 'tain't now!"

Fabulous stuff Steve, well worth waiting for

So the split flap section just tucks away when they'm closed up

Nice aerodynamics, unusually redundant metal work in there then

Tidy like

The vortexers, how about fitting them (yes of course you are going to FIT THEM) after the paint layers are on and treated before the top coat, so you can polish and tidy the surfaces

pop on the VGs

And dust on the top coats

That way you won't get that blimmin' intrusive builld up round the bases of the little tringannguls

Which you will be certain to cut out of spare etch or (soft)? drinks can metal

;)

• Like 3

Mini production line whilst watching 'Bake Off' tonight - did I say I made a Mary Berry sachertorte last weekend? Sick of it now.......

757493bee0fc8e5e28ef4b19ecdc48e6_zpsd2zn

The numerically astute will have spotted there are three fuselages on the go - which is one too many for a 'pair' of Hawks :)

But I picked up the kits in a sale - and I just know I'm gonna c*ck one up as I go along - so this way I get to play about while I work out what I'm trying to achieve knowing I've got a disposable spare :)

• Like 4

.....makes me look forward to my next flying lesson (next month) all the more.

Justin

Excellent. Hope you're enjoying it Justin - it gets easier - promise :)

Makes me feel a bit jealous actually..........

Hmm

I wonder if we're witnessing a Red Arrows done right piece of evolution here

Surely not a lamp in the nose a la "you know who" ;)

Sachertorte?

Something vaguely ethnic European I suspect, maybe of a sweetly pastry doughy kind of nature

Hmm

Save some for Telford, I feel the need...

Sachertorte?

Something vaguely ethnic European I suspect, maybe of a sweetly pastry doughy kind of nature

Wikipedia says "...is a specific type of chocolate cake, or torte, invented by Austrian Franz Sacher in 1832 for Prince Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. It is one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties. The 5th of December is National Sachertorte Day."

mmmmm, chocolate...

• Like 4

Wikipedia says "...is a specific type of chocolate cake, or torte, invented by Austrian Franz Sacher in 1832 for Prince Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. It is one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties. The 5th of December is National Sachertorte Day."

mmmmm, chocolate...

It was lovely for pud on Saturday, nice on Sunday, ok on Monday, a bit much on Tuesday, couldn't face it today and it's going in the bin tomorrow. Still got half the da*mn thing left......

So the split flap section just tucks away when they'm closed up

Tidy like

Yep - that's why they hinge somewhat below the wing - hence the largish aerodynamic fairings - so the flap gubbins (technical term) can lever backwards and arc downwards pulling the little flaplets out of the wing and increasing the flap area. Clever these chaps.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

So persoomably with full flappy things down it will take off from a five knot tailwind

Sacher...

Not the very famous Masoch geezer then, not if the fragrant Mary is pushing HIS product

T e l f o r d

There WILL be coffee breaks

There might be a need to sample the chocolatishness of such a substance, hint hint..................

Edited by perdu

It was lovely for pud on Saturday, nice on Sunday, ok on Monday, a bit much on Tuesday, couldn't face it today and it's going in the bin tomorrow. Still got half the da*mn thing left......

Pity there's so much geography between us; I'd otherwise volunteer to aid you in the disposal...

Perhaps you could ask around the neighbourhood for any womenfolk in the throes of chocolate withdrawal?

Ponders jumping into her MG and blasting up to Yorklandshire for some Choccy cake...

If it wasn't for the over indulgent consumption of several bottles of Mr Henry Weston's vintage cider this evening I would get Lara out of her heated and hermetically sealed (not) garage and meet you en route, possibly somewhere near Leeds given the possible disruption to traffic passing Stoke on Trent shire due to road not-works

A pair of MGs has to be worth the trip, mind you there were three of us down at Hendon yesterday

B ;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1