A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

More brilliant reconstructing with the littlest lip ever seen in 1/72th scale with a massive job to do.

And we knew before you showed it that it's the bizz!

Just wondering...

No it's okay, forget I spoke.

Wasn't me guv, I wasn't even in that day/week...

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Note to self - when pre-painting the frames don't get the colour wrong - as I did with my earlier vac-form efforts and which @Terry1954 helpfully (gleefully ;)) pointed out......

Well you see I always like to offer fellow (especially younger) modellers, the benefit of my many years of accumulated wisdom (mistakes). And if I can enjoy a bit of glee on the way, so much the better!

Wonderful results still happening here Steve. Regarding @Procopius's observation on the procreation of life in his workd during the length of this thread, I realised that we have acquired five more grand children since things started here! 

On another observational matter, the incredible cockpit shot of the TWU Hawk I commented on earlier, seems to have both front and rear AI's showing a bit of left wing down attide, which I know for a chap of your meticulous attention to detail, is most likely deliberate. Is this one to be an airborne pose I wondered?

Terry

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

On another observational matter, the incredible cockpit shot of the TWU Hawk I commented on earlier, seems to have both front and rear AI's showing a bit of left wing down attide, which I know for a chap of your meticulous attention to detail, is most likely deliberate. Is this one to be an airborne pose I wondered?

What makes you think that wings level is a default position on gyro wind down  Terry? :D ;)

9BD17C0A-A442-444A-8E0B-BDD77DF50B44

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Dare I ask? :hmmm:

I just wouldn't, myself.

Just an old man's useless wittering.

Okeydoke since you asked, but bear in mind I don't have suitable reference material to hand and this is 1/72th scale. Is there any visible architectural, structural stuff around the p'riphery of the rear face of the same arch you let the recess into?

See I told you not to bother, witterings...

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I realised that we have acquired five more grand children since things started here! 

Beat us by one Terry, only 4 arrived for us! 

That windscreen, by itself, is a marvel of modelling Steve! 

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

What makes you think that wings level is a default position on gyro wind down  Terry? :D ;)

9BD17C0A-A442-444A-8E0B-BDD77DF50B44

Or even with the gyros running at maximum…?

Wings level?  In a Hawk?  At Valley the pilots are all students so wings level is merely a transitory state, and by the time they get to Chivenor they’re all steely-eyed, lantern-jawed low level mud moving monsters, so wings level is something you only do on short finals, if you must.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Touché with perhaps a well earned touch of glee on your part Steve! In my defence though, my old eyes couldn't quite see if there was a cage/uncage flag set........

• Haha 2

That's a great idea to put the lip on the frame, Steve, must bank that one for whenever I'm able to get a 3d printer.

James

• Like 1

Lovely bit of out-of-the-box (printer?) thinking there Steve. That screen and frame are the dog's!

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

gyro wind down 

Gyros? How terribly old fashioned!

Ian

• Haha 3

On 14/03/2015 at 16:09, Fritag said:

P'raps I should say this tho'.

The good thing (I hope) is that the Airfix kit is several generations newer than the old chippie and JP5 ones I've previously done as WIPs - so I'd like to think they won't need so much work and that this WIP will be a whole bunch shorter and won't trespass on folks patience so much :)

I'm not promising that I'll be working any faster of course :) - just hoping that i won't have so much to do.

Thanks for looking

Steve

I thought we ought to check out Steve's 'accuracy in prophesy' rating.

My estimate is pretty damned poor, but then again I own worse stats than that.

And the modelling is precise and just sublime..

• Haha 5

Hello Steve !!

Great bird slicers indeed...

On we are to look at thr creation of the ultimate Hawk kit...

Please, take a video when you(ll start the engine...

Congratulations again...

CC

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, perdu said:
On 3/14/2015 at 4:09 PM, Fritag said:

P'raps I should say this tho'.

The good thing (I hope) is that the Airfix kit is several generations newer than the old chippie and JP5 ones I've previously done as WIPs - so I'd like to think they won't need so much work and that this WIP will be a whole bunch shorter and won't trespass on folks patience so much :)

I'm not promising that I'll be working any faster of course :) - just hoping that i won't have so much to do.

Thanks for looking

Steve

I thought we ought to check out Steve's 'accuracy in prophesy' rating.

My estimate is pretty damned poor, ……..

See now, that’s the problem with any form of social media.  The honestly held - but problematic for a contemporary audience - utterings of your youth get resurrected to haunt you….:whistle:

• Haha 8

I truly believe that it shows more the inadequacy of the raw material Steve, I mean yes it stands to reason that newer should mean less awful.

Sadly in this modern world it so often fails to be the case.

(Of course if our hero spent less time enjoying life and more time giving us enjoyment he'd be part way through giving us his T-bird and associated mud mover, which we recall are a short distance downline!)

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, perdu said:

he'd be part way through giving us his T-bird and associated mud mover, which we recall are a short distance downline!

I've heard rumour that that one could be a ticket only event, all bookings in advance, concessions for us oldies of course Bill. 😁

Terry

• Haha 4

Steve: what a pleasure to see the rate of development here and absolutely bowled over by your results with that canopy. Major kudos on troubleshooting the vacform/clouding issue - that'll prove of great help to the rest of us who have struggled with this. I also found vacforming to be the most merciless way to see if I'd not noticed any of those layer striations! 😁

Same praise for the work and thought processes behind that frame and coaming. Impeccable.

Blessed be brother Fritag and the fruit of his resin. :clap2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I've heard rumour that that one could be a ticket only event, all bookings in advance, concessions for us oldies of course Bill. 😁

Terry

I fear Terry mate, that by the time the big event moves into town I will be forced to abstain due to excess burriedness.

I am inconceivably old you know, Pontius WAS a pilot...

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

I fear Terry mate, that by the time the big event moves into town I will be forced to abstain due to excess burriedness.

I am inconceivably old you know, Pontius WAS a pilot...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A single  emoticon doesn't do that reply justice!

• Haha 5

On 4/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Brandy said:

Gyros? How terribly old fashioned!

Tell me about it!  Nothing but a stopwatch and a map to stop young Fritag getting lost at low level in Wales (which they weren't very effective at doing :whistle:) and nothing but a Tacan to help him find his way about above the clouds (which it didn't seem to do very well neither :whistle::whistle:)...  What would he have given for a sat nav - or google maps - or an effective navigational brain........  Pact with the devil?  certainly sir....

On 4/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

by the time they get to Chivenor they’re all steely-eyed, lantern-jawed low level mud moving monsters,

An insight into the embryonic mud-movers mind :rofl2:  A mindset swiftly and cruelly disabused when it turns out that bombs and bullets don't aim themselves but have to be sent on their way by someone with a modicum of knowledge and skill; attributes that it almost goes without saying the embryonic mud movers lack.  By the bucket load (if you can have bucket loads of nothing that is).

On 4/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, TheBaron said:

Blessed be brother Fritag and the fruit of his resin. :clap2:

Highly amusing - but somehow it leaves me feeling slightly queasy...:D

On 4/8/2022 at 10:39 PM, corsaircorp said:

Please, take a video when you(ll start the engine...

I wouldn’t remember how to do that CC.   Involved far too much switchery-moving-button-pressing-thingamejiggeryness for an aged brain like mine to recall and/or cope with :blush: 

On 4/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, perdu said:

Is there any visible architectural, structural stuff around the p'riphery of the rear face of the same arch you let the recess into?

See I told you not to bother, witterings...

Not much as it 'appens - althought there is a groove (presumably for an inflatable seal?) that it might be practicable to incorporate :hmmm:But more importantly that thought has made me think about the main canopy...

So the main canopies will be displayed open meaning that it's the inside of the canopy that'll be most visible and there's quite a lot of frame and gubbins in there.

I hadn't thought of that before Bill's prompt about architecture.

So it makes sense to model the frame on the inside of the canopy as there's stuff like the internal blast screen that'll be obvious.

Calls for a quick check of concept, thus:

D3FE2D7B-2368-4E25-9FF1-0749E4F02CB1

It'll work me thinks.

As an added bonus - that thick centre strip is on the inside of the canopy for real (with a thinner external strip).

I read on a thread on BM that the Hawk canopy is in 2 sections and is bolted together in the middle (where the internal blast screen structure is) hence the internal and external cream coloured strips (tape?).  But I stand ready to be corrected.

Anways.  concept test print - perfect fit.

C39B9745-550A-49EE-8D25-F69063C5C8FF

Time to build up the architectural, structural stuff as a certain revered BM'er might say :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 15

The way this thread has gone from nearly dead to the leading edge of modelling-again is nothing short of astounding. By the time he gets to the Jaguar, no doubt we will see the entire build be 3D printed!

• Haha 3

If one can contribute to the eventual madness/magnificence one will of course.

But blimey, now the innerwardness of the inner frame has just reduced me to a gibbering wreck.

I mean, what, how, who and why did you get so 'sheer bloody excellent' at this game.

My second hobby account for Fusion 360 has just expired, I believe I will desist from tormenting the poor program again.

Because never in a month of Wednesday afternoons will I get anywhere near adequate with the methods involved

:(

• Sad 1

My wife is really gonna be mad when she hears that you're making me want to spend her handbag money on a 3D printer. Somehow I have to find a way to get at her wallet...which is not as easy as one might think.    :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Oh yeah - killer work, as usual.    🙃

• Haha 10

The apparent ease of which this is all fitting together with perfection and absolute precision is magical to see.

While the printer does the end work, its your skills that are still making it happen.

An absolute pleasure to watch. 

• Like 10