A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Sad that this build/instruction manual has ended, but looking forward to the Jags and possibly the diorama of the bang seat on a hill i:) (has to be included in the category of 'things I've flown')

As to the builds:

'.............................................................'*

*speechless

Here's to more dits and thread drfts and the advent of commercial quantun molecular reduction technology

Box on

Strickers

• Like 3

@Fritag, I've been asked by @Gene K to post this link for you, for whenever you decide to tackle the Jaguars:

http://www.timmystech.com/jaguar

"Ambasciator non porta pena" - I have no idea on how to translate that in English (it's a saying, so no literal translation :winkgrin:)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, giemme said:

@Fritag, I've been asked by @Gene K to post this link for you, for whenever you decide to tackle the Jaguars:

http://www.timmystech.com/jaguar

"Ambasciator non porta pena" - I have no idea on how to translate that in English (it's a saying, so no literal translation :winkgrin:)

Ciao

Don’t shoot the messenger? ;)

Ha.  Thanks G, and Gene @Gene K.  At least I think thanks are in order.  V. useful reference.  V. impossible to emulate :D

Site now bookmarked anyway 👍

Looks like the same guy as has posted intermittently on BM.

I also meant (but forgot) to put a thanks to Gene in the RFI as I tried to copy his Phantom ‘seamless intake’ method with the Hawks; so thanks x 2 :D.

• Like 4

On 22/01/2023 at 15:45, keefr22 said:

Sorry Steve but I can't make BPD = JAG ..... :whistle: :rofl2:

Keith

Much as I tried, yes I did try, neither can I

On 22/01/2023 at 11:53, HAMP man said:

Sad that this build/instruction manual has ended, but looking forward to the Jags and possibly the diorama of the bang seat on a hill i:) (has to be included in the category of 'things I've flown')

Doesn't it!

Timmy's Jag went beyond the pale, wow etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Steve

Now it has been a while since you finished the Hawks and you have one and part way through another intensive build using your skills in 3D design and printing if you were to re visit the Hawks build what parts would you do differently or re design to improve the models?

Having spent some evening over the last few months to read the thread and seeing the whole build you have done a very good and extensive work on the models and on the paint job on both model you must be very satisfied with both models.

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

Having spent some evening over the last few months to read the thread and seeing the whole build you have done a very good and extensive work on the models and on the paint job on both model you must be very satisfied with both models.

Thanks, Pete.  Trying to be :D

Actually I'm pretty pleased with the paint jobs on both - but particularly the wrap around camouflage Hawk.  I was very aware that all the work I'd done would've been to little overall effect if I didn't get the paint right.

Of course I can see flaws in the finishing that I wish I'd done better - but I know I  didn't let myself or the builds down. 

6 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

what parts would you do differently or re design to improve the models?

If I'd been able to 3D design and print from the beginning of the build then I'd have used CAD and the printer for the grills and vortex generators that I etched, the cockpit tubs and election seats that I cast in resin, the undercarriage bays that I used traditional techniques on and the seamless intake trunking that I used plastic card for.

On the other hand I think I'm more fond of the Hawks because I used that range of techniques and material;  and I doubt that anything I do from now on in will have such a breadth of media.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I doubt that anything I do from now on in will have such a breadth of media.

When it comes to your Jaguars, both the twin and single seat variants, the available kits aren't exactly festooned with cockpit details. Neither are the airframes come to think of it. Anyway I'm voting for a 3D printed young Fritag climbing into the cockpit for his first Jaguar solo🙂

• Haha 6

Having had the opportunity to see these at Telford, I'm not sure there was anything you could improve on them Steve, they're sensational :D

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1