A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

18 minutes ago, perdu said:

Pray advise what is wrong with the fighter (hur) nose?

Nowt's wrong with the fighter nose if you're converting a Defiant Mark II to a TT Mark I as the TT Mark I was itself converted from the Defiant Mark II.

But Jim at the 453rd Bomb Group Museum gave me the Airfix 1:48 BP Defiant Mk I to play with.

You see the Defiant Mark II had the Merlin XX engine whereas the Mark I had the Merlin III.  And the Mark II had a longer nose to incorporate the Merlin XX.

So if (like me) you've got to start with a kit of a Defiant Mark I - and you want to make a TT Mark I, then you've got to change the nose from a Merlin III installation to a Merlin XX installation.  Simples? 

Funnily enough the Defiant TT Mark III (there wasn't AFAIK a TT Mark II) was converted from the Mark I and so no new nose would be needed.  But the USAAF had two TT Mark I's so that's no good to me.

Still simples? :winkgrin:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Haven't you got a Phantom to finish first?

It's going to be a parallel build. As I mentioned, I don't want to miss the opportunity of another reunion at the Museum.... and pubs.... :winkgrin:  :whistle:  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 3

As the ancient Greek philosopher Mediocrates once said: "Meh, good enough."      :)

All kidding aside, these are two incredible models. Now if we can only get you to speed up the next ones. Why are you spending so much time lawyering, biking, hiking, vacationing, etc.? You have kits that need to be built!

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, giemme said:

It's going to be a parallel build. As I mentioned, I don't want to miss the opportunity of another reunion at the Museum.... and pubs.... :winkgrin:  :whistle:  :D  

Ciao

Sounds like I need to make it to that next reunion Giorgio. Trouble is, Jim gave me a 1/48 P-51 and a 1/72 B-17 to build, neither of which are started yet. Better get my skis skates on....... 😨

T.

• Like 3

Strangely I have never considered the Hawk as a war machine. I'm used to them being a very shiny Red, or being thrown around the valleys of Anglesey training baby pilots. Seeing a gun pod and bombs on one seems odd.

The result of these epic endeavours is something I aspire to.

A thought occurs about the forthcoming Jag...

He started this build without a 3D printer, and look at what happened when he got one.

He will be starting the Jag with a 3D printer. This should be another epic build.

Mind you, what new technology will be developed during this build? 🧐

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cor! Bloomin' luvverly guv'nor. 

Steve, what a tremendous achievement. Well done and huge thanks for such an entertaining and informative topic. 

Personally I've learnt much along the way and I'm already looking forward to your next adventure. 

Brilliant stuff, take a bow sir. 

Cheers

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Sounds like I need to make it to that next reunion Giorgio. Trouble is, Jim gave me a 1/48 P-51 and a 1/72 B-17 to build, neither of which are started yet. Better get my skis skates on....... 😨

T.

Do only one, Terry - save the second for next time.... :winkgrin:  :D

Ciao 

• Haha 3

Wait, what! Finished?!!

How am I going to fill the void in my life now the Hawks are done and my eagerly-anticipated daily dose of BM masterclass is over?

Did somebody say Jaguars......?

But in all sincerity Steve, the Hawks are utterly sublime. Bravo!

Edited by DougC
  • Thanks 1

Superb modelling skills and attention to detail as ever and lots of tips for my own modelling.  These are worthy models to sit alongside your Chipmunk and JP.  Finishing this thread coincides with my 70th.  I don't remember how old I was when it started. 😀

Edited by ColinChipmunkfan
  • Haha 6

Stunning, fabulous, all superlatives that have been used before....

If you didn't know, you could easily think that they might be 1/32 or even 1/24.......the tiny tiny detail is so....er, tiny, and detailed

(I'm not so keen on the gun pod either Steve, it spoils the lines of the machine)

All the very best

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on getting these two finished; they've come out beautifully. So much great stuff involved, but the cockpits and canopies are just superb.

Now these are done I can finish my little Revell kit (converted to Mk51) at least knowing how unreachable the bar is!

Justin

• Thanks 1

They are stunning Steve, absolutely stunning.

Both of your Hawks bring back a wave of  nostalgia for the old BBC 1 Fighter Pilot series of the '80s.

Although both Hawks are masterpieces in their own right,  I too favour the camouflaged Hawk, it just looks so purposeful.

This WIP has been a pure pleasure to follow and an education as well as you've shown us how you've mastered the black art of 3D printing, which has been of particular interest to me as my daughter bought me a 3D printer for my birthday. I look at it on the corner of my workbench with both trepidation and fear. 

Having a collection of your personal training aircraft from the Chipmunk through to the Jaguar must be a tremendous momento of your time served "at Her Majesty's pleasure".

Now, if you wouldn't mind just cracking on with your Jaguars please, as I've just tested positive for Covid this morning and reading another 180+ page WIP would help greatly🙂.

• Haha 6

The inundation of comments speaks for itself Steve in terms of how much esteem we collectively hold your work in here. Less a benchmark than some kind of new altitude record in terms of quality. Congratulations to you. 🤝

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have followed the entertainment and gobsmackingly awesome modelling skills on parade as usual Steve.  When you started this quest with FSS all those years ago, it was your amazing eye for detail combined with your quite incredible ability to replicate so accurately on a tiny scale that impressed all. Now with 2 JPs and  2 Hawks and a load more modelling gadgets that facilitate even more jaw-dropping moments of modelling, I can’t wait for the Jaguars too! Thanks for the lesson in master craftsmanship - your achievements are sublime. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the comments everyone.

I spent too long (off and) on this pair (understatement :whistle:) and I'm glad to see the back of them tbh.

When I felt the interest levels wane I should have put them aside and done a quick(er) build to reawaken the motivation, rather than just close down the bench for months at a time.  It was building the 1/48 Spitfire during 2021 and getting interested in CAD and printing (chiefly as a result of following Alan @hendie's and Tony @TheBaron's builds) that provided the final impetus.  Even if it then took a year to finish em :winkgrin:.

Anyways thank you: Martian @Martian, John @John Laidlaw, Chris @bigbadbadge, Steve @Steve Coombs, Terry @Terry1954, Mark @mark.au, Alan @hendie, Nigel @Galligraphics, Rob @Phone Phixer, Neil @fatalbert, Ernest @ernestf, Steve @stevehnz, John @Biggles87, Ced @CedB, Phil @philp, Roger @Hamden, Serkan @Serkan Sen, @KingTiger435, Trevor @Max Headroom, Ian @Brandy, Bill @perdu, Giorgio @giemme, Kev @kev67, John @nimrod54, Keith @keefr22, @T-21, Alistair @AliGauld, Tom @tomprobert, James @81-er, Brian @brianthemodeller, @PLC1966, Adrian @AdrianMF, Bill @Navy Bird, Dave @Bigdave22014, Guy @geedubelyer, Doug @DougC, Colin @ColinChipmunkfan, Cookie @Cookenbacher, Geoff @Kitsticker, Justin @Bedders, Chris @cngaero, WP @Winded Penguin, Tony @TheBaron, Dave @Dave Slowbuild, @ruudster, Gondor @Gondor44 and Tim @feifeitim.

And anyone else I've inadvertently missed :D

I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed the chat and banter (can we still say banter these days?) on the thread (4.7K replies according to the Forum list!) and thanks also for all the hints, tips, information and insults :D

On to the BPD...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4