A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

5 hours ago, hendie said:

A record breaking thread indeed - the largest number of vacations, the longest hiatus of a still-alive modeler ever observed, and the greatest number of Prime Ministers of any thread. 

C'mon Alan, what about the two monarchs as well? :doh:

T.

• Haha 6

Stunning work Steve - again! You can be very proud of those.

What a ride too! New tools, new skills and a bar raised higher than I shall ever reach. Impressive.

I hope the ankle gets better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Your oddball gizmo seems to be a combination of a canopy hinge damper (riggery bit pah!). With the MDC initiator and shroud (the good trade item)!

Cheers Rob.

I nearly got there figuring out the riggery bit, but failed completely on the good trade item ;).  If I’d heeded that photo on the walkaround I might have been able to guess from the safety pin and position that it was an armourers type thingy to do with the MDC.

So oddball gizmo is canopy hinge damper and MDC initiator and shroud.  Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU now I know! Amateur hour is partly over :D

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Ooer, there should be one for the rear MDC too.

Ah.  Yes, well. Amateur hour has a few more minutes to run :D

I have spares! A couple may appear (minus the canopy hinge damper obvs.) on the back of the canopy by the time of the RFI.   Or I may just leave well alone.  I’ll check the motivation level later (don’t tell anyone else, Rob ;)).

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 10

Nice to see these 2 make it to the finish line and I have loved following all the learning experiences you went through to get them there.  Great looking models (though I do prefer the gun pod on).

Now if you would like to ski on some decent snow we have had a bit in the mountains around Salt Lake City that you might find interesting (think they are between 200-300 inches at the moment).

Please let me know if you decide to make the trip.  I don't ski but I can definitely show you around and maybe get up to the Hill Aerospace Museum.

• Thanks 1

What a stunning pair of Hawks, well worth the wait!

Have greatly enjoyed watching these come together as well as your GREAT attention to the smallest details

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

I'll do RFI, but first I’ll have to try and remember what I did to the original Airfix kit.

I can easily say, not much left from the original kit other than the boxes (if you still have them). Masterpiece builds, congratulations!

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely, mind numbingly, stunning.

Bar is now set way above where any of us mere mortals can reach, but I'm sure many will try now we have seen how it's done!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh...

They're nice, very, very nice.

Don't forget the Hasegawa Jag's nose is ludicrously long and mis-shaped Steve.

Just saying, in case the 'begin again' urge hits in the middle of some passing night.

I do expect you have already begun the 'thinking about it' work on the undercarriage legs, anyone would obvs.

Sorry your youthful enthusiasm on the slopes caused middle aged stress to the ankle.

O U C H !

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I don't really know what to say, I'm totally in awe. From a sheer modelling point of view, this thread has been a gold mine in terms of techniques (old and new ones), inspiration, attention to detail, you name it! 

Then all rest, which made it all the more enjoyable. The result is two state-of-the-art models (hard to call them that, there must be a better word because they are way more than models!).

Very much looking forward to the RFI!  :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

PS: I hope your ankle gets better soon. Don't want to teach you how to suck eggs, but it's always a good idea to have well tight skiing boots, especially from the ankle down, with modern skis. 

PPS: are we OK to start the second Museum build now? :winkgrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That is a particularly defiant comment Giorgio!

Somewhat.... since I have my second build to start too, I'm looking for additional motivation :winkgrin: :D 

Not that I want to turn this into a race, but since it will probably end up with another visit to the museum with the related hanging out time, including food and beer... :D

Ciao

• Like 4

Well, what an epic ending to an epic thread with two epic 1/72nd gems - two absolutely beautiful Hawks Steve, simply magnificent models! And at the risk of repeating myself I really can't say that I've seen better in any scale, they really are outstanding! And I tend to think my favourite if I have to pick one aligns with yours, I love that little camouflaged warplane! 

Looking forward to the ultimate Jaguar build.....!! :whistle:   :)

Hope the ankle has mended!

Keith

• Like 3

What a ride and what a finish.

This has been a journey of wonder and discovery from me.

I can only repeat that I think this is the finest modelling I have ever seen in 1/72.

An erudite and entertaining thread to go with it,

I can only say thanks so much for sharing this.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Mixed emotions here. 

On one hand I’m delighted to see the Hawks completed — and stunning they are too. 

On the other I’m gutted that this thread has come to end. It was such fun to follow. Don’t leave us waiting too long until you fire up the Jag…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, what can I say, Steve? Those are absolutely stunning! I don't think there is anything I can add that others haven't already, you should be very proud of those two. You really should stick them on a table at Telford, they're going to take some beating

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

BTW. I’m not starting any Jaguars any time soon.  Just saying. :whistle:

What's up with the Jags then? Lost the keys? Flat batteries? No petrol? Comandeered by Prescot? ;)

James

• Haha 7

Finished.  

FINISHED.

How the heck did that creep up on us without us noticing.  

It's only been 7 years Steve, blimey, we were just warming up.

But blinkin good work there chap.  Great results.  Well done.

• Haha 5

Thanks for the kind comments all.  Much appreciated, albeit I think I've just worn you all down over the years and so there's been an outbreak of kindness at the thought of it finally ending :D

12 hours ago, hendie said:

the largest number of vacations, the longest hiatus of a still-alive modeler ever observed, and the greatest number of Prime Ministers of any thread.

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

C'mon Alan, what about the two monarchs as well? :doh:

Did I say kindness?

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Mixed emotions here. 

Not here.  The words millstone and neck come to mind...

6 hours ago, philp said:

Now if you would like to ski on some decent snow we have had a bit in the mountains around Salt Lake City that you might find interesting (think they are between 200-300 inches at the moment).

S'not fair.

On t'other hand the restaurants on the mountains in Austria do generally offer good (and usually fairly cheap) Tyroler Grostl or Goulash Soup or Kasenodelsuppet by way of compensation.  And hot chocolate and rum.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Don't want to tech you how to suck eggs, but it's always a good idea to have well tight skiing boots, especially from the ankle down, with modern skis. 

I know G, I know.  Do you want my ever expanding list of excuses now?

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hope the ankle has mended!

Doing well thanks Keith.  One week anniversary of the great mogul prang today and already walking with only very slight discomfort/hint of a limp.  I was planning to ski in Chamonix in a couple of week's time but I'll skip that this year.  Should be well recovered before I'm scheduled to ski in Tignes at the end of February 🤞

14 hours ago, mark.au said:

As a bonus, the prose wasn't bad either!

Obviously improved when the Australia contingent came on board :winkgrin:

Mind you, with circa 4.6K replies some of em have to be decently written - law of averages and all that.  Or maybe the infinite monkey theorem...

Anyways.

Missed the light for decent RFI type photograph today.  Maybe tomorrow...

So in the meantime:

12 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

With the MDC initiator and shroud (the good trade item)! Ooer, there should be one for the rear MDC too.

We also now have a crude representation of the MDC initiator and shroud (minus the canopy hinge damper) for the rear MDC (aka a tiny lump of printed resin) fabricated from the spares of the front (which I'm now glad I kept for no seemingly good reason).

y4mHOR51NMTsmAtEGWm6VHz9tTsBh8Tbg_PWgG4m

12 hours ago, hendie said:

Now what was that about a Jaguar?

12 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I suggest another dual build. the 226 OCU jet you first went solo in, and any random 6 Sqn jet you joyfully threw around the skies. Starting next week!!!!!😜

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't forget the Hasegawa Jag's nose is ludicrously long and mis-shaped Steve.

Just saying, in case the 'begin again' urge hits in the middle of some passing night.

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looking forward to the ultimate Jaguar build.....!! :whistle:   :)

Oi.  Wot did I say? :winkgrin:

I will have to do at least 2 and possibly 2 Jags eventually.  Maybe as Rob suggests the first solo at the OCU and I definitely want to do the 6 squadron T Bird XX829 (ET) that I flew my missus in.  But it would be sort of perverse to do an OCU single seater and an operational squadron 2 seater; so I'll have to do a squadron single seater as well.  One of the single seaters carried my name on the side under the cockpit for a while in the late 80's; but I don't recall what serial number that one was - which don't help much...

But that's for later!  Cos as G says...

6 hours ago, giemme said:

OK to start the second Museum build now? :winkgrin:

Reckon so Giorgio :winkgrin: A few days of faffing about from me and then I'll be ready to go.  First task for me will be to design a new nose and rear cockpit section in Fusion to convert a BP Defiant Mark I to a TT.1. (well remembered Terry).  Looking forward to working in 1/48.  Haven't you got a Phantom to finish first?

Took a couple of photo's today before I realised I'd missed the light.  Might as well put them up here; they'll not be wanted for the RFI.

y4mPWVVr2rmpc01Hsa_HTDjP_nPkWI7SSkPaK7_x

y4mvZHXU7d3uHBEc4eS6BF-nAnUvARO6aQaCF_pi

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 22

I built a TT Defiant back about a hundred years ago using balsa wood (and a clothes peg mould for the rear seater's place ISTR) but didnt know then that we needed to get the nose changed.

Pray advise what is wrong with the fighter (hur) nose?

The Hawks are way above further discussion until RFI surfaces, wow.

• Like 2