A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

The triangulamps.

It's as if nobody else noticed them in here, they are works of art, even if they are too small to see.

W O W ! 

What are they?

A millimetre and a huff long but 'right' just right.

Sums up watching a perfectionist at play dunnit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2022 at 20:45, Fritag said:

Few unforgiving close ups courtesy of a new iPhone.

I tell you what: these macro pics show how good the work you've done on these is. :gobsmacked:

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mark.au said:

Could we see a Yearbook '22 from you!?  That would be nice.

Wouldn't he have had to actually build something within a year for that?

Is there such a thing as a decade book?

Those latest additions are just... just... just what Bill says, that's what they are. Icing on the Hawks they are.

• Haha 10

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Should we call the History channel and see if they want to make a documentary about it? :whistle:

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/23/2022 at 11:27 PM, hendie said:

Oi.  I started and finished a Spitfire in 2021.  Everyone seems to be overlooking that......

Not sure I'll finish these in 2022 tho'.  Too many other calls on my time and just too many fiddly little tasks still to do.

Speaking of which; one that I'd forgotten about was the main undercarriage Jacks.   Forgotten about or deliberately ignored.  One or t'other.

Anyways, the kit bits were inevitable bland and probably wouldn't fit the fettled bays/legs.

So it was back to Fusion.  Simple task this time.  Centre tube to be from 0.4mm Nickel Tube:

y4mhSb8RZozx3Lt7vuPX5dqfA8s0L4BIZUOnTyjz

Printed and painted:

y4mPedlyCAAe9eX916g7V3cyXheOhhM3mItU7zkt

Fitted:

y4mZTiDd7G8PbpU1_QZSH_cQyM7MJKdjkefdd963

y4mmqk2WdoOs8U-vRK8wyoHV2r_-HFKw1Lcm12-5

Something else I'd forgotten I still had to do was the wingtip Nav Lights.  These are opaque on the 1:1 so paint will do.  Base coat of green or red as required.  Top coat of Tamiya clear green or red to give it some depth and shine.

One potential gotcha is that the invitingly triangular panel lines on the kit do not represent the outline of the coloured section of the lights; which are smaller than that. I remembered thankfully.

y4mPWG4G3cOTmgEitf7sjDxQrpjObl8EgEDfSbih

Starboard:

y4mYgDz5wY9dQXUbAPxsgbJbyrK0kcsnD_nyzpvo

Port:

y4m3hlQxwI7a6wMRx7sdcadjYUkNslyKQc8VZ4Fq

I've just realised that the red and green looks a tad too bright in these photos (because of the strong white lights). They're a bit darker in more representative normal lighting.

Still more bits and bobs to fit.  But the undercarriage jacks where the last items that can really be called construction (I think).

• Like 27

More stunning workmanship with great attention to the smallest detail as we have come to expect from your builds Steve.

These are the go to references for anyone building a Hawk in any scale.

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2022 at 08:01, giemme said:

We want canopies!

We want canopies!

We want canopies!

We want canopies!

:rofl:

Ciao 

And if we don't get them, we'll scream and scream and scream until we are sick! 🤮

Demanding of Mars 👽

• Haha 12

On 30/12/2022 at 08:07, Brandy said:

The devil is in the details,

You're not hinting that the use of 3d printing might potentially be a form of satanic ritual Ian? In fairness it does seem to require the frequent use of curses.

On 29/12/2022 at 14:27, Fritag said:

I've just realised that the red and green looks a tad too bright

Plenty of time Steve;  you don't need to take them down until Twelth Night...

• Haha 8

Ok so, peeps.

I had a vision of a full day at the bench today.

But in the end, after a good roast lunch we ended up binge-watching series one of Happy Valley (glorious Yorkshire scenery and Sarah Lancashire at full throttle - brilliant).  Oh and there was a glass of nice rosé with lunch, a Gin at 5 O’clock and a large glass of Argentinian Malbec now…

And series two of Happy Valley ;)

However I did get some bench time in earlier on:

y4mDXtXMKPYhT-ZN3pHaFCDHWUa9gegxKz9430AM

Speaking of full throttle (see what I did there :D).  Rather embarrassingly for an ex-pro, I forgot to furnish the cockpits with a go-faster lever.  So the options were a bit of stretched sprue - or another visit to Fusion.

I decided on Fusion.

Draw 2 throttles per Hawks x 2 Hawks =

y4mHAEYMwqckVf2yWPDY_NUc2tLfQAelGvSU4GpZ

Print (20 minutes):

y4mHbBCMyHWwKCRja4TsRFxQNpeWEn8DdalwfWC4

Paint (few spares):

y4m1hyazdHqmcqoh3ayJDtEMDO79cUIoQP3O1fON

Fix (courtesy of some clear UV cure resin): 

y4mVsfEF9yHa3Vfj2XMHB_5TwvLSurWdjUOLgUT7

y4mnfXEBJNW9LgFyg3cKfL56x6tHcTWzIj0J-qBe

Am I daft finding summat as objectively insignificant as this really rather satisfying?  :blush:

Tell you what, it’s this sort of little job that having Fusion/a printer is brilliant for for.

Oh, and I can at least be sure that all the throttles are at the same power setting (closed).

And the printed nosewheel doors found themselves fixed n’all.  Now that was fiddly.    

y4mC1f3thz0ikvlhgRNkCkLp6RJTvixf4bWgYDjW

y4mXjN7QV83Rp2wpx8CS1ttsQT3il1X5NumTPX4m

The main undercarriage doors where just about to go on when lunch and Sarah Lancashire intervened…

Maybe tomorrow eh?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 25

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Definitely nearly there.....
1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Print (20 minutes):

y4mHbBCMyHWwKCRja4TsRFxQNpeWEn8DdalwfWC4

Ummm, are there not throttles surplus to requirements for 2 Hawks there?  You planning on building another 10 Steve? :nodding:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Am I daft finding summat as objectively insignificant as this really rather satisfying?  :blush:

No :)

And I suspect most of your audience also find such insignificant objects really rather satisfying to look at (cos they're flippin' brilliant!!)

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

No sticky-out-at-the-front-thingies yet, that's got to be at least a page worth, plus the foldie-over-glass-lookie-lockie contraptions need to be added. Seroiious procrastination required methinks.

Anyroad, and however, these two do stand up to micro macro scrutiny, its scary that they can fit in an open hand.....so real, so real.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1