A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

181 pages and ‘nearly finished’…

I once went to a lecture on the psychology of fighter pilots and learned that the typical fighter-pilot is an ‘habitual accelerator’; a person who gains great satisfaction  from doing things very quickly and achieving goals in short timeframes. 

RUOK @Fritag or is something awry? 🤣

• Haha 8

a person who gains great satisfaction  from doing things very quickly and achieving goals in short timeframes. 

Ah, but bear in mind Steve, he's also in the legal profession where the saying 'The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow, but they grind exceedingly fine' seems quite apt......

I rest my case, M'lud  (With apologies to Sextus Empiricus). 

• Haha 10

I’m not sure this is the place to be discussing how Frtag now gets satisfaction from slow grinding, nor any other aspect of his Sextus life. 🤔

What happens on a Fritag night should stay on a Fritag night! 

• Haha 7

On 12/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, Terry1954 said:

, my old brain felt that was indeed a large number of undercarriage doors for a little Hawk to have! 

My old eyes are feeling the same.  One of the problems of bringing CAD and printing late to the build is that I didn’t have the opportunity to design in positive locators to the legs/stupid little doors that attach to the legs.  It’s a case of little blobs of gator’s grip followed by a wishful thinking attachment of a stupid little door followed by removal of the stupid little door and cleaning-up of the gator’s grip followed by [repeat] finally followed by a tiny drop or two of UV cure resin and a blast with the UV pen light. And then the privilege of repeating the exercise with the next stupid little door.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, woody37 said:

Christmas present, seeing these in RFI!

Maybe, Neil. Maybe not.  Who knows? :blush: 

On 12/10/2022 at 12:53 PM, HAMP man said:

Chippie and the 'low tech'(but gobsmacking) techniques used on that little beauty, I am encouraged that non-cads like myself can still aspire to attaining the bar (see what I did there?)…

I see wot you did there Strickers :) But we are a terribly self-important lot and so tend to capitalise the Bar ;) :blush:

Chippie was first serious model for donkey’s years and I benefitted from considerable assistance from the BM hive; it was a great introduction to the community wot we are. I also got a boll**king from Bill @perdu and have steered clear of black panel washes ever since.  My motto has since then always been do what Bill tells you to do.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, Gondor44 said:

a Jag to look forward to sometime..... now I am betting 1/72 scale and probably Hasagawa although it would be interesting to see an Airfix one being given the treatment

I collected a couple of Hasagawa’s and some aftermarket resin and bits and bobs (master brass pitot tube was a must) but I’ll probably now print at least some of the stuff I’ve aftermarketed.  Anyways it’s all safe in the attic.  Somewhere.  I’ve also got a matchbox jag somewhere too. I’ve got an Airfix 1/48 Jag but I started 1/72 so I’d better finish at 1/72; although to get the set I’ll have to get an F16 C & D Block summat or other (40?) sometime too.

On 12/10/2022 at 7:23 PM, brianthemodeller said:

@Fritag… don’t suppose you were up Lancaster way this evening, were you? I got overtaken on the M6S by a car with the number plate FR13TAG?!?

Not guilty.  Some imposter.  Maybe a namesake who’s mates were equally unimaginative in the deployment of nicknames but could actually spell in German…

On 12/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, general melchett said:

I really think you should extend these builds infinitely Steve.

I think there’s measurable continental drift wot has occurred during the life (weary existence?)  of this thread, Andy; ain’t that long enough? :D

22 hours ago, Martian said:

Well a couple of Jaguars should take up a few more of your Earth decades.

OMG.  The thought.  I’ll have therapy and quick-builds will be the thing of the future.  You just wait and see.

22 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I once went to a lecture on the psychology of fighter pilots and learned that the typical fighter-pilot is an ‘habitual accelerator’; a person who gains great satisfaction  from doing things very quickly and achieving goals in short timeframes. 

RUOK @Fritag or is something awry? 🤣

I’m ex and getting old; so definitely not OK :blush:.  I do like the thought of maybe once having been a ‘habitual accelerator’ tho’.  We did gain great satisfaction from getting very quickly to the bar and achieving inebriation in a short timeframe.  Does that qualify, Steve?

22 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ah, but bear in mind Steve, he's also in the legal profession where the saying 'The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow, but they grind exceedingly fine' seems quite apt......

And we charge by the hour don’t forget :whistle:

Here’s some stupid little printed doors post attachment:

y4mNjLjkhAWt_wnNkGq34kTX0oGFwWRn6aKdHbjs

y4mkBG9QLepGgLrmgNQ6_Mtl266GNlB9a_isGMrr

They need dirtying up a tad.

And here’s some leg restraints carelessly wrapped about the stick by a habitual accelerator who had to get quickly to the bar :D

y4mV53V1v4WimVCYuuSSUtYeLI-xy8_4tBwnrJoq

Fed up of Hawk undercarriage doors.  

Edited by Fritag
typo (stock = stick)
  • Like 28
  • Haha 3

I understand the little doors are a pain and all (yet they look just great), but the leg restraints are just mind-blowing! I know how tiny these Hawks are, I know I always refused to reproduce such a feature on all my 1/72 jet builds because they would be ridiculously small, yet you just pop them out as if they were an easy task! Gob truly smacked! :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 6

Yep, coming on splendidly and looking superb. Any Hawk with the flaps down is fine by me 👍

Has anyone calculated the coefficient of value for this 'un??

Like £+£*/t'+c where £ is the cost of the kit, £*is the extraneous bits n bobs, t' is the calculated build time and c would be the amalgamated chat and repartee? 

I think this could be the hands-down champion.... 💃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What I like about this build/these builds is the way Steve built them, planned them and then finished them.*

*save and repeat for the next Steve build...

Flippin' gorgeous 'Awks

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I reckon when* these two hit RFI they'll generate the most-liked content this forum will ever see

James

*Finished by Christmas. Just not specifying which Christmas

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I reckon when* these two hit RFI they'll generate the most-liked content this forum will ever see

James

*Finished by Christmas. Just not specifying which Christmas

Probably, but at this rate it’ll be up to our grandkids! 😀

• Haha 11

Superb modelling and inspirational. Does your wife give you encouragement ?  my partner puts up with nine bookcases of aviation book's.......for reference of course !

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2022 at 12:49, woody37 said:

Reckon we could be in for a great Christmas present, seeing these in RFI!

In the presence of lawyers, one should always add the full date, including the year! :wicked:

Looking superb. Although I was meant to be admiring the doors, I was very taken with the flap mechanism!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

My old eyes are feeling the same.  One of the problems of bringing CAD and printing late to the build is that I didn’t have the opportunity to design in positive locators to the legs/stupid little doors that attach to the legs.  It’s a case of little blobs of gator’s grip followed by a wishful thinking attachment of a stupid little door followed by removal of the stupid little door and cleaning-up of the gator’s grip followed by [repeat] finally followed by a tiny drop or two of UV cure resin and a blast with the UV pen light. And then the privilege of repeating the exercise with the next stupid little door.

Maybe, Neil. Maybe not.  Who knows? :blush: 

I see wot you did there Strickers :) But we are a terribly self-important lot and so tend to capitalise the Bar ;) :blush:

Chippie was first serious model for donkey’s years and I benefitted from considerable assistance from the BM hive; it was a great introduction to the community wot we are. I also got a boll**king from Bill @perdu and have steered clear of black panel washes ever since.  My motto has since then always been do what Bill tells you to do.

I collected a couple of Hasagawa’s and some aftermarket resin and bits and bobs (master brass pitot tube was a must) but I’ll probably now print at least some of the stuff I’ve aftermarketed.  Anyways it’s all safe in the attic.  Somewhere.  I’ve also got a matchbox jag somewhere too. I’ve got an Airfix 1/48 Jag but I started 1/72 so I’d better finish at 1/72; although to get the set I’ll have to get an F16 C & D Block summat or other (40?) sometime too.

Not guilty.  Some imposter.  Maybe a namesake who’s mates were equally unimaginative in the deployment of nicknames but could actually spell in German…

I think there’s measurable continental drift wot has occurred during the life (weary existence?)  of this thread, Andy; ain’t that long enough? :D

OMG.  The thought.  I’ll have therapy and quick-builds will be the thing of the future.  You just wait and see.

I’m ex and getting old; so definitely not OK :blush:.  I do like the thought of maybe once having been a ‘habitual accelerator’ tho’.  We did gain great satisfaction from getting very quickly to the bar and achieving inebriation in a short timeframe.  Does that qualify, Steve?

And we charge by the hour don’t forget :whistle:

Here’s some stupid little printed doors post attachment:

y4mNjLjkhAWt_wnNkGq34kTX0oGFwWRn6aKdHbjs

y4mkBG9QLepGgLrmgNQ6_Mtl266GNlB9a_isGMrr

They need dirtying up a tad.

And here’s some leg restraints carelessly wrapped about the stick by a habitual accelerator who had to get quickly to the bar :D

y4mV53V1v4WimVCYuuSSUtYeLI-xy8_4tBwnrJoq

Steve...
I looked at the last 5 pages...

what to say...

perfectionist
accurate
clean

with 3D a new frontier for the modeller... 

you make me want to make a new Hawk...
Fritag aftermarker... obvious

😉

un caro saluto

Silvano

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fritag said:

Who the dickens is this fellow?

Quite possibly they'll cause a ripple in the Force one would say having worked one's way through the whole tome over the past year

on and off.

A highly pleasurable and informative read Sir.

• Haha 1

The wheel work is fantastic! And for what it’s worth I found that it was the ipa bath that made the clear parts opaque. (Do you use water based?) 🤔

a klear dunk afterward made it a little more transparent as did gloss top coat.

I did find that clear resin painted with an old brush gave the best results. 
either way I’m in awe. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, The Spadgent said:

what it’s worth I found that it was the ipa bath that made the clear parts opaque. (Do you use water based?) 🤔

Yes I use water washable Johnny, but I generally rinse most of the liquid resin off with water and then give the prints 5 mins in  IPA in the Elegoo Mercury wash station as well.  Since you posted I’ve just been washing clear resin prints just with water.  Thanks mate :thumbsup:

On 12/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, woody37 said:

Christmas present, seeing these in RFI!

On 12/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, AdrianMF said:

In the presence of lawyers, one should always add the full date, including the year! :wicked:

Wise words Adrian; Not gonna make this Christmas, Neil :blush:  Haven’t given up on it being 2022 tho’…

So it’s been a hectic couple of weeks in the world of work and little time for the Hawks. 

Have made a little progress, tho’.  Half a dozen aerials and a couple of strobe lights to be fitted to each Hawk; plus some more stencil decals.

Few unforgiving close ups courtesy of a new iPhone.

Printed some aerials, painted em nato black, drilled some holes, used some UV cure clear resin and the first 3 on the Valley Hawk:

y4mALyXeHjSLr5X-APupjYfVvMPmkhytz2_F72ou

And the TWU Hawk:

y4mm99KHpIY6wl4-FX4ZZ7xZj9KJyy6Lv1hmru-H

And one under the tail plus a printed Strobe light.  Valley:

y4mk3cLQ3llKX9OMnxGEEZusz0gBFEvrBvc9Mjjs

And TWU:

y4mJ_axPxQleZzsq1_Q5MKEUKT9z56gdainNqcWB

And the last decal stencils, stuck to the main leg outer undercarriage doors with @stevehnz’s “future puddle” method.  

y4m3WXzYBfhbHnIawFPofVIfXaVXIgtkIv2xwVJb

y4mzpc0HZOwWZKbq9Kpjp5Cv7NlpM9gEUWuYI-J4

Can you see any decal film on them doors? Nope, me neither.  Thanks steve.

Remaining steps are:

Aerials and strobes on the top.

Make and fit a couple of main undercarriage struts for each Hawk.

Fix the rest of the undercarriage doors.

Pylons and CBLS on the TWU Hawk.

Possibly the gun pack - I might prefer the look without tbh.

Stick the seats in the cockpit.

Stick the pitot tubes into the nose .

Canopies..

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Nice work! Don't forget the most important step - hiking in the Highlands during Winter. Or if that doesn't suit your fancy, how about a nice dram of single malt?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Wise words Adrian; Not gonna make this Christmas, Neil :blush:  Haven’t given up on it being 2022 tho’…

Could we see a Yearbook '22 from you!?  That would be nice.

Remaining steps are:

Aerials and strobes on the top.

Make and fit a couple of main undercarriage struts for each Hawk.

Fix the rest of the undercarriage doors.

Pylons and CBLS on the TWU Hawk.

Possibly the gun pack - I might prefer the look without tbh.

Stick the seats in the cockpit.

Stick the pitot tubes into the nose .

Canopies..

Could be enough there to get to 200 pages...

Few unforgiving close ups courtesy of a new iPhone.

Did you use digital zoom?  The pics are grainy but the Hawks definitely aren't, they're spectacular, even just their undersides...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

Did you use digital zoom?  

It’s the iPhone 14 Pro Max 2 x zoom in Macro mode, which as I understand it (I’m no camera expert) is not a traditional digital zoom as in cropping and enlarging part of an image, but rather it uses only the central (12 megapixel) part of the iPhone 48MP camera sensor (sensor cropping) at full resolution (I also haven’t cropped the photo’s by editing, which is de-facto digital zooming isn’t it?).  So it’s a sort of Apple-semantic “optical quality” non-optical zoom.  But as we lawyers (traditionally) say, if it’s  a four-pronged digging implement it’s a ‘fork’ even if you choose to call it a ‘spade’. 

I think the  photo’s are a bit grainy or noisy cos they were taken quickly in low light; they’re not pixelated thro’ digital zooming/cropping.  More experimentation is needed.

Also as I understand it (same caveat about not being a camera expert) the 2 x zoom is equivalent to a 48mm lens - and a 50mm lens is considered to be close to how the human eye sees things.  Certainly there’s not so much ‘wide angle’ lens distortion on those photos and I think it’s promising for some decent photographs if these two ever make  it to an RFI.

The camera also has x 3 x optical zoom (77mm equivalent) which I’ve not played with yet.  I’ve only had the phone a couple of days.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10