A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Everyone is watching Steve. The pressure must be phenomenal. 😁

He used to fly fast jets, you know.... what's a few old punks staring at him? Nada. Piece of cake.

OK, get on with it now, Steve!

:rofl:  :rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, phantom61 said:

Steve ...
done ... in a week off work ...

Beautiful Silvano.  Love the figures in particular.  Great Painting.  In a week!

On 9/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, 06/24 said:

I don’t like to admit to stalking, but our esteemed former flyer has posted pics on a photo sharing site. I’m hopeful of an update imminently.

I hope you mean only these Jon; There's nothing else is there?  :blush: 

D86D2D88-7A88-4A0A-A6A3-9CEEEA79F1A4

9 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Nothing proven I believe....

think he mean't only them.... Anyways, them's the same scheme and the same paints the Valley hawk will get done in...

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Everyone is watching Steve. The pressure must be phenomenal. 😁

Yeh, like no-one is interested in Wasps at the moment are they? :whistle:

So priming the Chiv. Hawk did in fact show up a flaw; a little groove just by the windscreen.  

9EFB5CD2-63CA-4BD5-B011-686B07039EF2

Had to be in a place that meant taking off some of the masking didn't it....

But UV cure resin is everyone's favourite medium of the moment.  With good reason:

E6A03BC5-07DE-4D4D-9974-70C4ABFCD758

Perfect for small tasks like this.

More paint.  (Are you sitting down again Mark?)

52FA2CFE-3F76-49E4-9BCC-19AF25930B3C

You can call it coloured pre-shading, you can call it coloured marbling or you can call it a bl**dy mess :D

D9CDAC3C-15CA-4BFF-A973-4B183103C076

A40EAC11-8FD7-4185-B094-76E03AFD909A

But whatever you call it the idea is to lay down a surface with plenty of random tones to hopefully give the camo top coat some depth and subtle tonal variation.

Likeon the USAAF Spitfire Vb:

So hopefully it will work on the TWU Hawk.

Darn it, there's still a little contour imperfection by the front left corner of the windscreen...

4AFC17AB-2E98-41CD-8569-AB546D69068E

But it can wait.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

More paint.  (Are you sitting down again Mark?)

I was, having my porridge for brekky.

I hope you mean only these Jon; There's nothing else is there?  :blush: 

Likeon the USAAF Spitfire Vb:

I see what you’re doing there… proving that you have painted in the past as misdirection on the “oops, there’s something else to fix”.  I see you.

Nice job on the marbling, it’s not a technique I usually use myself because I’m too ham fisted for it to survive my top coat(s) but your previous results tend to suggest it’s an approach I should try again.  Those paints look like the ones we gave our kids when they were young; poster paints? (Which comment is not meant as a dis, I mostly use artist craft paint after all).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, it's almost colored in. 

5 minutes ago, mark.au said:

it’s not a technique I usually use myself because I’m too ham fisted for it to survive my top coat(s)

You and me both Mark.  I'm happy with just staying inside the lines

• Haha 7

Lines?

There's lines?

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

But it can wait.

No.

It really shouldn't, which I recently found to add to my sleeplessness on the Kessie.

Do it before you paint any more, for our sake.

:(

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

I’m too ham fisted for it to survive my top coat(s)

Doubt that.

Anyroadup It remains to be seen if survives my efforts (works best with lighter colour top coats obvs.).   It’ll probably work a bit for the first colour (DSG) but need topping up or giving up on for the second (DG); and I expect it’ll be the post top-coat work that ends up having the most effect anyways.

But it shows willing don’t it?

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Those paints look like the ones we gave our kids when they were young; poster paints?

:D Nope; boringly conventional.   Tamiya acrylics thinned with Mr levelling thinner. You were misled by the containers.

The paint is thinned and temporarily stored in sealable disposable plastic 1.5ml centrifuge test tubes, which are brilliant for airbrushing - I get the tubes by the hundreds for just a few quid on Amazon;  them and tattoo ink cups, which are great for holding decanted small quantities of paint, glue etc; and also disposable pipettes - which can be had much cheaper than the small quantity packs sold in model shops.

I’m lazy and hate cleaning up; so cheap, single use, disposable stuff is perfect…..

Cheap disposable single-use airbrush anyone?

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Do it before you paint any more, for our sake.

Wilco Boss.  Probably for the best.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling the pressure for you now Steve, half the world has tuned in to this stage. Sky News mentioned that you'd started applying paint so I quickly came looking and they were right! Liz Truss also mentioned that we will potentially see two finished Hawks under her leadership ahead of her details on the energy crisis. Can't wait to see the proper colours over the top, you're just teasing us at this stage!

PS...bloomin amazing work so far :)

• Haha 16

On 9/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, Fritag said:

But it can wait.

Seems par for the course around here .........🤔

Although to be fair, we've all been kept very well entertained these past few years and this is a rather rather rather good build 😇

T.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, hendie said:

I thought my threads were long but this must be the only thread on BM where length is measured not by pages but by the number of Prime Ministerial changes.

How many have we had so far?

:D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great set of Foula photograph's. The PBY-5A Canso crash occurred 27 July 1944 (some dates have 29/7) Royal Canadian Air force serial 11062 of 162 Sqdn . Flying Reykjavik to Wick diverting to Stornoway because of fog at Wick. Hit the hillside. 7 killed pilot Flying Officer A R Hildebrand. One survived. Large chunks of wreckage remained and blown around by gale's for many year's, but site now cleared.

Nice paintwork, it will all come right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 05/09/2022 at 19:35, giemme said:

what's a few old punks staring at him? Nada. Piece of cake.

Punk?

Who are you calling an old punk young snipperwhacker, I was a townie with rocker and mod aspirations.

It was the sixties, we had all the great sounds.

We did it all.

An elderly bar server lady of my aquaintance and vintage claims to have done it all, the sixties for her really were sex, dr chemicals and rock and roll.

Didn't harm her much either, wish I had aged as well as her.  :) 

Maybe I should have...  ;) 

Steve's little Hawks are an object lesson in preparation work during the paint phase, just as good in potentia as the JPs and the Chippy I do declare.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Steve's little Hawks are an object lesson in preparation work during the paint phase, just as good in potentia as the JPs and the Chippy I do declare.

And I too must make a declaration of agreement!

T.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 9:42 AM, woody37 said:

Sky News mentioned that you'd started applying paint so I quickly came looking and they were right! Liz Truss also mentioned that we will potentially see two finished Hawks under her leadership ahead of her details on the energy crisis.

And you believe everything Liz Truss says I s'pose Neil :rofl2:

On 9/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, Terry1954 said:

we've all been kept very well entertained these past few years

Purely accidental (if true) and (if true) nowt to do with me.  This is a thread for committed modellers only....

On 9/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, hendie said:

this must be the only thread on BM where length is measured not by pages but by the number of Prime Ministerial changes.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, Terry1954 said:

Four so far. But there is time for more................ 🤔

Oi.  We're supposed to keep away from politics on BM you two.  My comment on Liz Truss above doesn't count as it's obvious (and beautifully judged) comic irony....

On 9/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, T-21 said:

The PBY-5A Canso crash occurred 27 July 1944 ....

Thanks for the info Nigel.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, Biggles87 said:

and now there’s paint!

I'm still debating with myself whether that's sarcasm or not.....

On 9/8/2022 at 2:26 PM, perdu said:

during the paint phase

There it's official.  We are in the paint phase...

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And I too must make a declaration of agreement!

Always best to agree with Bill.

Anyroad up the Hawks are now on diverging paths:

0F480D28-2037-44B8-9E47-73CDE7B41D40

I hope I've got them the right way around....

Valley Hawk has its white tops done with Tamiya flat white, polished a bit with a scrap of old T-shirt, and protected with some Alclad Klear Kote gloss:

4B65DFC4-0AA0-4A1C-9F56-EB6319A6BA7B

I'll leave that 24 hours to harden.

Almost forgot that the flaps were separate.

Remember these?

Cast from resin with scratched plastic card details.  They'd have been Fusionated now...

1269ED00-BF22-4DF6-8CD3-135CD9219087

Anyways the flaps are now primed as well.

The gun pod, CBLS and pylons gave me the opportunity to practice top-coating over the coloured pre-shade/marbling before committing to TWU Hawk.

Gun pod primed and coloure. - This is overall dark sea grey (DSG):

CA3E78FD-21E6-4F94-A473-B252D4DAAA6C

And CBLS/pylons primed - these are dark green (DG) overall:

8C4C2B88-693B-4030-8085-AB00F4DBA86B

If you’re wondering why blue.  Well it’s cos the 4kg bomblets are blue and so I had some in the airbrush.  Sophisticated thinking eh…

And the gun pod as it rests now after some judicious application of colourcoats DSG.

5A08F847-6D2E-4B1B-A218-A5CBF182080A

E7BD0D39-6950-467A-9004-CC727C7AB0D2

A judgment call beckons.

A further filter coat of DSG or proceed to clear coat bearing in mind that the clear coat always tones down the effect anyway.

Time for gin and tonic; so the decision will be made tomorrow.

CBLS and pylons: 

B803E1F2-7020-43ED-B4FF-C29FF12E46E9

559B62A5-DB5C-4714-BFCA-07216BE8398C

The whole point is to build in a bit of subtle randomish tonal change; cos this is how the light seems to reflect off full size camouflaged jets.  They never really look like solid blocks of colour. 

Definitely, unmistakably, indisputably painting now....

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 24

That first photo of the Hawks ‘ diverging ‘ reminded me of something.

When I worked at Heathrow I shared a house for a while with a friend who worked at West Drayton. One evening he came home looking a bit frazzled and when I asked if he had had a bad day he replied. “ I think I’m in the wrong job, I’ve pointed so many aeroplanes at each other today I think I should have been a fighter controller! “

john. 

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

The whole point is to build in a bit of subtle randomish tonal change; cos this is how the light seems to reflect off full size camouflaged jets.  They never really look like solid blocks of colour. 

Yes.  Nothing is the same colour all the way across its surface.  The trick is subtlety not tartan.

Definitely, unmistakably, indisputably painting now....

My cup floweth over… 🥰

A further filter coat of DSG or proceed to clear coat bearing in mind that the clear coat always tones down the effect anyway.

Depends, if you subsequent flatten it the effect will come back, at least to some extent.

Time for gin and tonic; so the decision will be made tomorrow.

I see your cup floweth over too, painting seems to have driven you to drink... 🤔

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

This is a thread for committed modellers only....

With no release date, even for good behavior?

Yes, theres no denying we're definitely in the paint phase now.  Nice subtle tones playing over those items Steve - whenever I've attempted pre-shading I always think 'just one more coat'... and it's always one coat too many

• Like 2
  • Haha 6