A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Steve: I'd agree with your own and Alan's and Serkan's conclusions regarding overlapping of parts. The only useful thing I can add to this discussion is that (surprisingly!) I've found the free 3D Builder app from Microsoft to be one of the simplest and most reliable tools for checking the integrity of a print assembly prior to slicing parts for final output, if there's a problem with them.

I'll usually just output an .stl from either Lychee or Chitubox after hollowing and supporting and if the problem is a simple one, the repair algorithm in 3D Builder can usually handle it. It doesn't like massive file sizes though (by 'massive' I mean the equivalent of half a Vixen's worth in one go in old money) for which Netfabb is unsurpassable with the sheer range of repair scripts it has for 3D printing (pricey though).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

More brilliance. And seemingly inexhaustible patience.

Presumably by the time you do the Jag(s) (or whatever comes next) you won’t bother with a base kit any more, just build your own on the printer entirely from scratch?!?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Presumably by the time you do the Jag(s) (or whatever comes next) you won’t bother with a base kit any more, just build your own on the printer entirely from scratch?!?

My thoughts entirely. After all, it would be rude not to! 😉

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It really is next level isn’t it. All in a component smaller than my thumb. Awe inspiring. 

I seem to remember way back a (somewhat younger) @Fritag telling us he intended to build them all in 1/48, but truly, this is a masterclass in the one true scale. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, 06/24 said:

you won’t bother with a base kit any more, just build your own on the printer

Ha;  thanks Jon, but I think I'll be leaving that to the proper print-meisters like Alan and Tony.  I think I'll be sticking to home-brew after-market type accessories for the foreseeable.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, 06/24 said:

seemingly inexhaustible patience

How about seemingly inexhaustible excuses to avoid committing to paint....

On 8/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, TheBaron said:

I've found the free 3D Builder app from Microsoft to be one of the simplest and most reliable tools for checking the integrity of a print assembly prior to slicing parts for final output, if there's a problem with them.

Typically great insight and info Tony.

Equally typically unavailable for Macs... 

Anywaysup.

Holibobs to Shetlands now over :( - although I'll bore you with a few piccies if I may (it's my thread innit)...

We took the 15 min flight from the Shetland Islands mainland to Foula (pop. 35) in one of these (this is it landing at Foula to take us back again):

58BC25ED-A678-4674-9A7E-E4F1CD9686C9

Landing on the way out was delayed slightly whilst the sheep were cleared off the runway (true).

Foula is a fabulous (if hilly) place for a walk.

A958D2C6-ECE5-42C7-ACBD-8D2AF4EEBF46

With terrific views - in this case from half way up Hamnafield looking southwest to Da Noup;  Mrs F probably wondering why there had to be a valley in between the two meaning two climbs instead of one!

8718BA97-C0E5-48F7-8FAD-DC462F400D35

A PBV-1A Canso (Catalina) crashed on Hamnafield in bad weather in 1944, with only one survivor; and there's a touching memorial.  We didn't know about the crash in advance and so it was a sort of sombre delight to come across it.

23154D8F-0588-4629-8172-5BCEFA530706

In other aviation related matters, the coastguard put in an appearance in the centre of Lerwick, delivering a casualty to hospital.

7A99131C-32BE-47BF-AA71-3034C4089450

I think there are a couple of these impressive beasties based at Sumburgh.

And the Shetland Mainland reminded us that great scenery abounds up there...

E6281B4B-F6D9-4A3D-912B-757A100E9AFC

Been back home since last Sunday and in between real-work I've done summat on the hawks.

The canopies are now basically finished (save for weathering - which I'll do at the same time as the airframes proper).

TBH they're not quite as good as the picture I had in my head of what I was aiming for; but thern I've probably reached or more probably exceeded the limits of my talents in 1/72 scale.  The techniques I've been attempting are probably better suited to larger scales - 1/48 at least.  But I'm ok with the result.

When I designed the internal structure I built in a 0.3mm groove as a locator for a representation of the internal blast shield (unlike me to think ahead); and I also printed a template for the blast shield thus:

AB5EF795-ADA2-4B67-9133-0F1510BC92AC

Which I used to cut out a couple of blast shields from OHP film:

73BCA31F-88E3-44BA-818F-B7C0A1E27C51

I also decided to print the rear view mirrors.

6FE68BF3-F76B-4D2D-A9EA-7307F56D4026

I had some aftermarket PE mirrors; but printing them meant I could make them in pairs with a bit of support structure making it (a lot) easier to paint and attach them.

54373C97-8CD6-4D02-AAC0-AE1FA3287A28

Blast shield and mirrors in situ:

147A32DD-3E09-4DD9-8016-E6977D28BFF5

The blast shields of course are see-through so aren't visible half of the time.  Waste of time maybe, but I know they're there...

FC8699F7-14F1-445F-9BAA-B2B5606E796D

And some general views:

24B58819-940A-4B69-9E34-435C434F7E90

05735226-04D1-40E9-AE43-4AFCC157A4A4

EED263DE-CC58-4DFA-98F4-35C66422B580

A8EECEC3-9683-4428-BF34-755F0498EA50

B666379E-547E-42C3-A8E4-84FB98F27DA2

At least the journey saga of the canopies is over.

Unless I manage to drop one or spill something on one or otherwise ruin things with clumsiness.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 33

32 minutes ago, Fritag said:

You probably knew this would be the quote I’d use…. Acceptance is the first step.

The second step is I see paint on those canopy frames, decals too.  Baby steps, yes, but steps nonetheless.  And they look pretty damn good, to boot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ha;  thanks Jon, but I think I'll be leaving that to the proper print-meisters like Alan and Tony.  I think I'll be sticking to home-brew after-market type accessories for the foreseeable.

Typically great insight and info Tony.

Equally typically unavailable for Macs... 

Anywaysup.

Holibobs to Shetlands now over :( - although I'll bore you with a few piccies if I may (it's my thread innit)...

We took the 15 min flight from the Shetland Islands mainland to Foula (pop. 35) in one of these (this is it landing at Foula to take us back again):

58BC25ED-A678-4674-9A7E-E4F1CD9686C9

Landing on the way out was delayed slightly whilst the sheep were cleared off the runway (true).

A958D2C6-ECE5-42C7-ACBD-8D2AF4EEBF46

With terrific views- in this case from half way up Hamnafield looking southwest to Da Noup;  Mrs F probably wondering why there had to be a valley in between the two necessitating two climbs instead of one!

8718BA97-C0E5-48F7-8FAD-DC462F400D35

A PBV-1A Canso (Catalina) crashed on Hamnafield in bad weather in 1944, with only one survivor; and there's a touching memorial.  We didn't know about the crash in advance and so it was a sort of sombre delight to come across it.

23154D8F-0588-4629-8172-5BCEFA530706

In other aviation related matters, the coastguard put in an appearance in the centre of Lerwick, delivering a casualty to hospital.

7A99131C-32BE-47BF-AA71-3034C4089450

I think there are a couple of these impressive beasties based at Sumburgh.

And the Shetland Mainland reminded us that great scenery abounds up there...

E6281B4B-F6D9-4A3D-912B-757A100E9AFC

Been back home since last Sunday and in between real-work I've done summat on the hawks.

The canopies are now basically finished (save for weathering - which I'll do at the same time as the airframes proper).

TBH they're not quite as good as the picture I had in my head of what I was aiming for;  but I've probably reached or more probably exceeded the limits of my talents in 1/72 scale.  The techniques I've been attempting are probably better suited for larger scales - 1/48 at least.  But I'm ok with the result.

When I designed the internal structure I built in a 0.3mm groove as a locator for a representation of the internal blast shield (unlike me to think ahead); and I also printed a template for the blast shield thus:

AB5EF795-ADA2-4B67-9133-0F1510BC92AC

Which I used to cut out a couple of blast shields from OHP film:

73BCA31F-88E3-44BA-818F-B7C0A1E27C51

I also decided to print the rear view mirrors.

6FE68BF3-F76B-4D2D-A9EA-7307F56D4026

I had some aftermarket PE mirrors; but printing them meant I could make them in pairs with a bit of support structure making it (a lot) easier to paint and attach them.

54373C97-8CD6-4D02-AAC0-AE1FA3287A28

Blast shield and mirrors in situ:

147A32DD-3E09-4DD9-8016-E6977D28BFF5

The blast shield of course is see-through so isn't visible half of the time.  Waste of time maybe, but I know they're there...

FC8699F7-14F1-445F-9BAA-B2B5606E796D

And some external views:

24B58819-940A-4B69-9E34-435C434F7E90

05735226-04D1-40E9-AE43-4AFCC157A4A4

EED263DE-CC58-4DFA-98F4-35C66422B580

A8EECEC3-9683-4428-BF34-755F0498EA50

B666379E-547E-42C3-A8E4-84FB98F27DA2

At leats the saga of the canopies is over.  Unless I manage to drop one or spill something on one or otherwise ruin things with clumsiness.

Steve ...
I am delighted with your works ...
I decided ... I'll go to the tank

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

And some general views:

Nothing general about the views in that update Steve; they are quite particular and most singular in nature. De minimis to maximum effect. :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've not been about much on here lately either Steve, so good to see I've not missed much!

Some great holiday pics there. Really must get myself and Mrs T up there sometime, once I've fully recovered from some minor (but walking impacting) leg surgeries, last bit scheduled for next Monday 😬

Really superb work on those canopies, and I do believe you can justifiably (and legally) declare that painting has commenced!

Great update.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The canopies are amazing Steve. You can launch a RFI topic even only for canopies!..

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

and I do believe you can justifiably (and legally) declare that painting has commenced!

You two guys, don't go on encouraging him in the bad habit of not painting them models!

:rofl:  :rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Worth the visit even if only to say you've been to some of those location names.

I'm sure stating "I'm awa' hame tae Da Sheepie" would raise a few eyebrows from anyone not familiar with the island

• Haha 4

So a few comments from northern climes…

Having seen photos of the damage caused by the Rhyl seagull, to both the canopy and Red 6’s bone dome, it was notable that the blast shield did its job, in that it appears to have arrested progress of the ex-seagull. This leads me to believe I might prefer the back seat to the front, not that my 50-something fat bottom will ever fly in a Hawk.

Second, the Canopy work is again superb, it almost goes without saying. Short of a shrink ray, I can’t conceive how it could be bettered.

The MCA choppers are cool, we get occasional transits past us, particularly for tourists stuck by the tide on Cramond Island. However it’s sign of my age and nostalgia that I still prefer a Sea King, even if the new jobbies are much more effective. (I presume they are?)

Finally, isn’t Scotland lovely. Even after very nearly thirty years here, I do occasionally just stand and stare in wonder. Ever more so since we moved back in to the Athens of the north. Plus we make whisky…

• Like 7

How did I miss this thread? I'm stunned by the incredible amount of detail and your build skills Fritag.

The Hawk is also close to my heart. I remember first seeing the Reds in their brand new T1s overflying the beach at Lowestoft when I was just I young kid - maybe around 79 or 80? Never then did I realise that the aircraft would be my whole career... I've worked on all variants from Mk102 up, have had the pleasure of flying XX191 out of RAF Valley and the displeasure of witnessing the retirement of 100Sqn and their Hawks at RAF Leeming.

Being a larger scale fan, I'm hoping someone (Airfix?) will come along and produce a 1/24 scale one :smile:. I figure now would be a good time for such a kit... especially with so many variants that could be created.

Now following along with interest :yes:.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bonkin said:

How did I miss this thread? I'm stunned by the incredible amount of detail and your build skills Fritag.

Have you seen young Mr Fritag’s Chippie and JPs? Well worth seeking out, even if they are at the opposite end of the scale envelope to your builds!

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, Roland Pulfrew said:

As do the pictures of Foula, a place I always meant to visit whilst based up north but never got round to doing. Flown past it lots but never been there on the ground.

We finally got there third time of asking.  In previous years the weather always got in the way; either low cloud or fog at Tingwall or Foula - or both.  This time the weather was compliant :D.  Where where you based/on route to when you flew past?

On 9/2/2022 at 10:00 AM, mark.au said:

You probably knew this would be the quote I’d use…

Shouldadone :D   Anyways, I might now have exhausted the excuses…

On 9/2/2022 at 10:09 AM, Cheshiretaurus said:

apparently they need one at Chester, oh and could you paint it red.

Nice one Mark. 

On 9/2/2022 at 11:36 AM, perdu said:

I'd be tempted to stop and move on to the Jaguar build.

Don’t tempt me to stop Bill. There’s probably been enough of that in this build…. :whistle:

On 9/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, hendie said:

one's refusal to paint

Maybe it’s psychological condition and so not really my fault at all :hmmm:

On 9/2/2022 at 3:03 PM, phantom61 said:

Steve ...
I am delighted with your works ...

Silvano, they’ll still struggle to live up to the standard of your hawk :D

On 9/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, TheBaron said:

most singular

One of them is feeling left out now :whistle:

On 9/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, giemme said:

Can I have some for my Phantom builds, please? :D 

You don’t need printed bits with your skills G.

On 9/2/2022 at 6:12 PM, Terry1954 said:

Really must get myself and Mrs T up there sometime

Get them legs sorted and go Terry, You’ll not regret it.  Unless maybe you're there for one of the weeks when its foggy, wet and windy all day every day…

On 9/2/2022 at 7:39 PM, 06/24 said:

Finally, isn’t Scotland lovely. Even after very nearly thirty years here, I do occasionally just stand and stare in wonder.

Couldn’t agree more Jon.  We mostly rotate between the Orkneys, the Shetlands, the Cape Wrath area and the Pitlochry area - but you’re spoiled for choice really. 

20 hours ago, Bonkin said:

The Hawk is also close to my heart. I remember first seeing the Reds in their brand new T1s overflying the beach at Lowestoft when I was just I young kid - maybe around 79 or 80? Never then did I realise that the aircraft would be my whole career... I've worked on all variants from Mk102 up, have had the pleasure of flying XX191 out of RAF Valley

Gulp (is there an emoticon for that?).  You know way too much about Hawks Drew, I’ll now be revealed as a fraud….:D

I’ve got time in XX191 too as it 'appens.  Just one trip as far as I can see, when I was 'refreshing' at Brawdy all the way back in 1984; so she’ll probably have been in wrap around camo (or maybe one of the grey schemes?) then.

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I quit. I think I'll switch to adult colouring books

Ha Ha.  Firstly, any objective comparison manifestly favours your work Bill... and secondly, if I was implicated - on however a fallacious basis  - in you quitting BM I’d probably find myself the subject of a members petition followed by a lifetime ban…

Anyroadup.  I do seem to have exhausted the final excuses to avoid paint.

So after some final UV resin repairs:

97FE762A-5C62-4702-B19D-32BC64AF8671

86DCB3EE-5A45-4003-A580-4899F9AF7816

There was really no reason not to start masking:

954ECB4D-C0B0-4CA5-B483-E77E40D24098

8BFE1CAC-5260-409E-8186-E8A45E41E885

One down, one to go.  And then we stand ready to c**k the whole thing up with the attempted application of paint.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1