A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

So, after all this proof of concept printing super neat little aeroplane bits, I guess the next step is obvious Steve.....

After @TheBaron's ultimate Sea Vixen your next project will have to be the ultimate 1/72nd Jaguar.....!! :nodding:

(whether I'd live long enough to see it come to fruition though is anyone's guess....!! 🤣 )

Keith

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Bejezzzus!!!! That was a heck of a catch up. I’m moving cave again so haven’t had much time on BM off late.  This is getting seriously close to paint. 😅😇

( Right G ) 🤣

I’m also loving the idea of making your own supports. My friend did this years ago on his old filament printer and I totally forgot he had done it.  My only issue is that you need to be totally sure that the thing will print and not have missed islands.  I guess it’s something you just have to check before making the

.STL  I’m definitely going to give that idea a go on the Firefly. Thanks for the tip. 😉😇

Btw. Jets are looking divine. Your attention to detail makes me a little nauseous. One strives for perfection but you seem to have it on tap. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, Fritag said:

Succumbed to the temptation to produce my own main undercarriage doors as well.  Probably cos I haven’t had the chance to do any ‘proper’ modelling since hols - but can generally sneak some computer time when I should be doing legal type stuff…. :D

The port inner door is fully worked up; the outer two sections are still in the initial stages.

FABF6DA4-494B-436B-B61A-1F138A6F7CAC

They doors are a compromise shape; aiming to be as accurate in outline as is possible whilst still looking like they’d fit in the kit wheel wells.

2EF7E325-530F-46AC-A7A4-A940E9E9C28B

Port inner door:

C5CA4641-4594-4FEF-8317-659DB1B99179

Rushed out some test prints whilst purportedly doing real-world work. Somewhat surprised how well they came out as I (thought) I hadn’t built in sufficient supports yet. 

E92072A4-8C7D-42D0-9B95-667C83C8C36D

To my mind a real improvement over the Airfix parts (and also the aftemarket resin ones I picked up yonks ago).

48847B49-5F54-4A77-933E-B5FDB3A7261A

These are the last sub assemblies to fabricate.

Steve...

sin palabras

ciao Silvano

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, phantom61 said:

Steve...

sin palabras

ciao Silvano

:D grazie mille Silvano.

6 hours ago, Paulaero said:

You do remember paint, don't you........🤣

How has this viscous (sic) rumour stuck?

Main doors computery type stuff now all done and dusted.

B8F5AD3D-C065-4AB8-A522-892196B753CD

Supports designed in and printed in port and starboard pairs.

DD4181B3-9F89-4BCE-B3C1-840539845E54

Looks like they'll fit ok.  I expect to use little blobs of gator's grip to do the adhesiving-type thing.

379CB68B-3200-4968-A388-8E29D0DEE589

15046B55-89D3-4974-825D-8FB2BB671C9E

And I now have a couple of sets of home-brew main and nose undercarriage doors primed with a squirt of colourcoats light aircraft grey (which looks a bit green under my study lights)

ED632CB8-A619-4055-828A-1648EFD3FDB8

See - I have a working airbrush - and I'm not (much) afraid to use it.......

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

ED632CB8-A619-4055-828A-1648EFD3FDB8

These look superb Steve, but one question re the large shape at the bottom of the above picture. I can see that maybe the front U/C doors are sitting top and bottom of that shape, but what is the rest?

I'm sure the answer will be embarrassingly obvs, and perhaps I've just not been paying attention!

Thanks

Terry

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

See - I have a working airbrush - and I'm not (much) afraid to use it.......

Well…. Not so fast.  We haven’t seen it, have we?  You could have easily reprogrammed the resin’s molecular structure to print in shades of grey.  You’re probably working how to print in camo, too.

• Haha 12

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

Well…. Not so fast.  We haven’t seen it, have we?

How has it come to this?

That I have to waste one of my 196 remaining free photo uploads on flickr to post a piccie of my trusty (well it'll do - and it's pointless me having anything more sophisticated) Neo....

D411AB9D-BADB-436D-9D3A-15FAAC51DAFA

This lack of trust.  It's cos I'm a lawyer innit..... :whistle:

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

These look superb Steve, but one question re the large shape at the bottom of the above picture. I can see that maybe the front U/C doors are sitting top and bottom of that shape, but what is the rest?

I'm sure the answer will be embarrassingly obvs, and perhaps I've just not been paying attention!

Don't think it was obvious and I don't think I posted a picture iof it before.  Unless I've not been paying attention...

I created all 3 of the nose wheel undercarriage doors (port, starboard, rear) with their own supports before it occurred to me to combine them into one object to print.  So most of the odd large shape is simply a crude extruded base to join the 3 elements together for printing. 

870101E4-C530-4B12-A91A-2F8B48E1681F

I dunno why I cut circles in the middle and then added fillets.  Just moments of whimsy - and/or avoidance activity delaying by a few seconds having to go back to doing real money-earning type work....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

D411AB9D-BADB-436D-9D3A-15FAAC51DAFA

Have you got an MDF laser cutter as well now....??!! :)

That's a very neat airbrush holder, if not home made could you say where you got it please Steve?

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Have you got an MDF laser cutter as well now....??!! :)

That's a very neat airbrush holder, if not home made could you say where you got it please Steve?

Keith

Not wanting to pick holes but there's no propulsion paraphernalia, this may be a hoax!

Box on

Strickers

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Not wanting to pick holes but there's no propulsion paraphernalia, this may be a hoax!

Box on

Strickers

He probably just printed it yesterday!

Ian

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

...it's pointless me having anything more sophisticated) Neo....

You don't need anything more sophisticated. I do all of my work with a Paasche Model H.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

This lack of trust.  It's cos I'm a lawyer innit..... :whistle:

Say nothing lads, say nothing...we were all over in the Chat section of the forum on the date in question.

Hugely impressed by the subtlety and efficacy of your solution to supporting/retaining delicate parts in the three dimensions Steve. I'm confident that  this will have a significant influence on the thinking of a number of us from now on with regard to such matters.

• Haha 7

On 7/27/2022 at 12:20 PM, keefr22 said:

Keith

It's from Sphere Products, Keith - here: Sphere - Twin Airbrush Stand

I have a few of their vices and racks.  IIRC it was Ced @CedB who alerted us to their products several years ago, least ways I've had the airbrush stand since 2016.

Actually I don't find the the airbrush stand to be quite as convenient as it looks.

When the braised hose is attached the airbrush doesn't fit back neatly into the stand - see what I mean:

The solution is to stand the stand on something - or to sit the stand with the back end overhang the desk - either solution gives the air hose the space it needs; but it something to be aware of.

[only 194 free photo uploads to flickr left now......]

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Come over to the  light side, open a postimg.cc account

If you install it on your phone and take photos on your phone as I often do the image becomes available in Postimg immediately if you take the picture in the app.

I bought a device to grip my unused airbrush when awaiting trade, it is as user-friendly as yours

not  :(

I find the best one I have is the one attached to the filter body of my compressor, at least I get height to allow fitments dangling beneath them

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F619R-q2AuqS._AC_UL320_.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fairbrush-holder-stand%2Fs%3Fk%3Dairbrush%2Bholder%2Bstand&tbnid=6kjrVj4Rgym9JM&vet=12ahUKEwjwqp6v-Zv5AhURLRoKHcnGBMIQMygIegUIARCHAw..i&docid=8fvocsXNJk37CM&w=281&h=320&q=airbrush bracket device&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjwqp6v-Zv5AhURLRoKHcnGBMIQMygIegUIARCHAw

Now if one of you techniKables could make that a simple image you will see my cheap and easy to add to the filter on the airbrush device.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I blew my limit some time ago and decided to subscribe. Excellent service IMHO!

T.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I have a few of their vices

Rumour has it that you have quite a few more vices that have nothing to do with them.......

Only rumour though, not at all an accusation.....

Ian

• Haha 6