A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Ooh good, more lessons in situ

Sounded like a fabulous holiday Steve, recommendations noted. 👍

Now back to the classroom.

The front doors (somebody tell Ced to keep the noise down) seem to be a 'one size/shape fits all' component but I am sure it isn't, what radius curve do you have to preset for the way they sit under the nose of the 'awks?

I suppose what I am really asking is how do you decide the radius to impose on the dimensions?

(This is my fundamental Big Question for designing in CAD any way, how do you know the dimensional shift for the drawings?)

Oh well the new parts look exquisite, awe inspired again...

• Haha 1

Glad that you had a good time away Steve; all that seafood certainly seems to have paid dividends in the brain dept. as a very elegant piece of lateral thinking indeed on providing a supporting cage for thinner parts. Lovely to see. 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lovely work there, Steve, very nice indeed. It almost looks like you're designing the parts ready to injection mould a production run :whistle:

James

• Haha 1

Welcome back Steve, seems like you enjoyed Canadas eastern wilds. I hope to explore that part one day, having seen some other bits in recent years.

Nice work on those undercarriage doors, and a neat trick to model the supports in Fusion itself rather than Chitubox ........................... sounds like I know what I'm talking about doesn't it, but of course I don't! 🙄

Terry

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Now back to the classroom.

The front doors (somebody tell Ced to keep the noise down) seem to be a 'one size/shape fits all' component but I am sure it isn't, what radius curve do you have to preset for the way they sit under the nose of the 'awks?

I suppose what I am really asking is how do you decide the radius to impose on the dimensions?

No radiuses were harmed in the production of this design Bill :D

Used a side profile view of the 'awk'.  Could have been a photo of the model or 1:1, but I already had a plan which I'd previously scanned to a JPEG file so used that as a canvas and inserted it onto the YZ origin plane. I calibrated that to 1/72 scale using the 'calibrate' option.  3m x 1/72 = 41.667 mm) so:

F83787D0-D73B-4C13-B7A5-1DACB0D961B6

Then created a sketch on the same plane and sketched a simple outline (oops - one line is blue and so not fully constrained - hey ho....)

B0E4CEFB-2B30-4E97-AE4C-3E830995A052

And simply extruded the outline into the basic door shapes.  One extrude for the rear door and a separate extrude (see photo) for the port side-door.

I measured the length and width of the undercarriage bay on one of the model 'awks to get the necessary dimensions so that the length and width of the doors would be correct for the models.

The YZ plane is the centre line so I created one of the side doors and mirrored the finished object to create the second.

2F1BADE4-1449-4FE2-92D8-217662B4065B

To create the noticeable triangular internal cross section shape I used the 'Loft' function.  I used three construction planes; one inset slightly from either end of the door and one through the centre.  I sketched a simple identical triangle on the two offset end plane sketches, and on the centre plane sketch I simply 'projected' the line of the top of the door to act as a guide line for the loft (so that the loft would follow the curve of the door).  

FDF2BD35-D634-42AA-AF51-8624D76EFC3F

The loft gave this:

5BD1EE2F-B273-4D4A-B9B3-338766102FD0

With hindsight I could have created the whole door using the loft function - and if I was doing it again I would.  But I hadn't thought adequately about a work flow in advance :blush:

Everything else was done by creating construction planes on surfaces/offsets/angles as required and straightforward sketching and extruding and 'fillets' as required.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

glad you enjoyed the hols Steve.  So that'll be you refreshed and ready to blast these Hawks into completion then?

I like the out of the box thinking around the supporting of miniscule parts - it looks to have been very effective.

• Like 4

Wow, thanks to Hendie, yourself and other proud owners of 'the Fusionality' I did understand that Steve, thank you sir.

Thanks to for not harming any radii (or even ulnas) when you did it.

Understanding now that the picture on the canvas is simply the image to copy rather than the image to utilise.

Lovely work too, again thank you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Smart, absolutely smart. The idea of supporting the most delicate pieces straight from the designing phase, I mean. :worthy:  :worthy: 

How much will you charge for designing F-4E stabilators in 1/72, please? And for printing and shipping?

:D :D  

Ciao

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, Fritag said:

But I hadn't thought adequately about a work flow in advance 

You're getting me nervous now Steve; it's been so long since touching Fusion in anger that it feels like I'm going to have to relearn its procedures all over again for the Wasp!

Might write to Autodesk and ask them to include an 'auto-generate naval helicopter' function in the next update...

• Haha 7

Excellent modelling and high quality printing Steve. Do you believe that adding the chitubox supports is necessary? I do the support structure modelling within the CAD without adding additional supports in chitubox and till now I have never had any problem.

Serkan

2982.jpg

2978.jpg

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

sketched a simple outline

And simply extruded the outline

I sketched a simple identical triangle

and on the centre plane sketch I simply 'projected' the line of the top

and straightforward sketching and extruding and 'fillets' as required.

A selection of understated mastery of the craft in simple English prose.

I must say, that I’m looking forward to the painting stage because at least I’ll be able to relate!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You're getting me nervous now Steve; it's been so long since I touching Fusion in anger that it feels like I'm going to have to relearn its procedures all over again for the Wasp!

Might write to Autodesk and ask them to include an 'auto-generate naval helicopter' function in the next update...

Given I've been using AutoCAD for nearly 25 years and they still haven't fixed the Hatch command, you might be waiting a while for that 🤣

James

• Haha 7

21 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Do you believe that adding the chitubox supports is necessary? I do the support structure modelling within the CAD without adding additional supports in chitubox and till now I have never had any problem.

I’m a great admirer of your printing work Serkan, and only just beginning to follow in your footsteps.

I hadn’t got as far as thinking about printing directly onto the build plate; or whether chitubox supports could be dispensed with, but they seem obviously otiose if you’ve designed in supports in the CAD; obvious that is now that you’ve pointed it out :D :blush:

So I did a test print with no change to the designs, without chitubox support, with the bottom of the support frame on the build plate, and without at this stage tinkering with the printer layer settings.

FC3EBA8E-9620-42A0-B667-36C52415ED05

Worked fine; and saved about 30 minutes on the print time to boot.

Some ‘elephant foot’ distortion on the bottom of the frame where it meets the build plate but seeing as the frame is disposed of that’s irrelevant.  

Separated from the build plate without problem too:

DA1ABFD3-82A2-4289-92F9-67C06FAE0C0D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Another skill mastered Steve - admirable stuff.

St John eh? I think that's the location for the TV cop drama 'Hudson and Rex'. Rex is a dog. A very clever one. Love it.

Recommended, if you like that sort of thing…

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Rex is a dog. A very clever one. Love it.

Recommended, if you like that sort of thing…

Missus' favourite programme. And I have to grudigingly admit I do quite like it too!!  🐕‍🦺  :)

Really pretty looking town too.

Keith

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

Some ‘elephant foot’ distortion on the bottom of the frame where it meets the build plate but seeing as the frame is disposed of that’s irrelevant.

I am glad to hear that without chitubox supports everything went well. Till now I have used only once these chitubox supports to print pokemon figures for my daughters 🦄

1952.jpg

1962.jpg

2050.jpg

2057.jpg

For the first few layers having the elephant foot effect is unavoidable because of longer exposure time. But as you said the base is disposable and here the only trick is to set the base plate thickness 1mm or above.

Serkan

• Like 10

Succumbed to the temptation to produce my own main undercarriage doors as well.  Probably cos I haven’t had the chance to do any ‘proper’ modelling since hols - but can generally sneak some computer time when I should be doing legal type stuff…. :D

The port inner door is fully worked up; the outer two sections are still in the initial stages.

FABF6DA4-494B-436B-B61A-1F138A6F7CAC

They doors are a compromise shape; aiming to be as accurate in outline as is possible whilst still looking like they’d fit in the kit wheel wells.

2EF7E325-530F-46AC-A7A4-A940E9E9C28B

Port inner door:

C5CA4641-4594-4FEF-8317-659DB1B99179

Rushed out some test prints whilst purportedly doing real-world work. Somewhat surprised how well they came out as I (thought) I hadn’t built in sufficient supports yet. 

E92072A4-8C7D-42D0-9B95-667C83C8C36D

To my mind a real improvement over the Airfix parts (and also the aftemarket resin ones I picked up yonks ago).

48847B49-5F54-4A77-933E-B5FDB3A7261A

These are the last sub assemblies to fabricate.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Very neat work on those doors Steve, and your approach to building in the supports seems to be working very well indeed, Those ones look minute!

This technology really is the biz for improving small components like this.

Terry

• Like 2

Nice undercarriaging Steve. 

It looks like there's nothing more in the way of CADdery we can teach you, (though I suspect we were always playing catch up and you were just being polite :D)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Holy frijole! That do look nice. You are a wizard, a true star. No wait, that was Todd Rundgren. You are an artist, working with electrons instead of oils. All this phenomenal CAD work and 3D printing is beckoning me to join the 21st century, but I'm scared. Hmm, I bought an electric car, that's a start.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Reckon that’ll do:

40680733-E98F-4633-BDF0-3D094F47A6F1

Little thing.  

But as Mark says:

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Anything to avoid painting....  🙂

:D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

These are the last sub assemblies to fabricate.

Does that mean that it is time for us to get the resident BM archeologist palaeontologist to start excavating your airbrush?

Curious of Mars 👽 

• Haha 14