A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ah, brilliant use of the UV resin

Ditto that Giorgio.

I think I need to look at thus UV Resin malarkey. I'm thinking it might have made lighter work of blending in the Viking and Astir canopies as an example, and I'd get to buy another tool, the UV torch!

Any recommendations on the resin itself, I've probably not been paying enough attention? 😳

T

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Both beautiful aircraft.  Trouble for you Johnny will be that they were always kept nice and clean n'tidy; what'll you do with the Flory?

Clean and what now? 🙃

Might be a nice change. 🤩🛀

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Any recommendations on the resin itself, I've probably not been paying enough attention? 

Same here, but with the length of this thread my attention span can't keep up at my age! :)

Excellent way of filling Steve, and even quicker (and less messy) than my now preferred superglue and bicarb!

Keith

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Any recommendations on the resin itself, I've probably not been paying enough attention? 😳

I use some stuff I bought on Amazon after Bill @perdu 's pointer: it's a generic clear UV resin, mine is branded OY WOOA, or something like that.

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, Terry1954 said:

I think I need to look at thus UV Resin malarkey. I'm thinking it might have made lighter work of blending in the Viking and Astir canopies as an example, and I'd get to buy another tool, the UV torch!

On 6/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, keefr22 said:

Same here, but with the length of this thread my attention span can't keep up at my age! :)

Like Giorgio I invested in some of the Limino following in Bill's footsteps - which is a clear resin and I think it'll be jolly useful; but as Bill said I used the printing resin - Mars 3 for the use of - for the windscreens:

Printing resin (500ml) plus some decanted into a sealable test tube, Limino bottle (60 grams) and some Mr Surfacer 1500 for the next stage....

For printing it's more cost effective to get the 1 litre bottles, but I got this 500ml just cos I wanted to see how it compared with the water washable resin I've been using.

E2BA2946-3356-4001-8E4D-E7C90CDEF1D1

Unless/until you get your printer Terry , I can't see that it'd be worthwhile buying a bottle of printing resin.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, keefr22 said:

Excellent way of filling Steve, and even quicker (and less messy) than my now preferred superglue and bicarb!

I tell you what keith, I think I'm gonna use it for a lot of the tasks I previously used super glue for.  Like repairing/sharpening up the corners of wing tips/ailerons etc.  Or 'Fintips' as here.

Blob of resin.

A6EE0570-A56D-48A7-91CF-DEB6ABEE25E6

Cured and sanded:

28932B8E-1D72-4D4F-95E2-24D44A37A728

In my limited experience it's definitely better to only partially cure the resin (max 15 secs) before sanding; and then fully cure afterwards as fully cured resin is quite hard and takes a lot more sanding down!

At the risk of repetition I'm really pleased with how well the liquid resin worked as a filler on the windscreens.  I was nervous of the whole process cos it's such a noticeable and yet delicate area to work in.  Anyways the next stage was to slosh some Mr Surfacer around the windscreens as a check and final blend.

Post sloshing - pre sanding - Valley Hawk:

E2D6390B-B7FC-48F8-9F42-A82A80A94A73

Post sloshing - pre sanding - TWU Hawk:

321700F0-3D96-47F4-8D69-9C40BBEA0C3F

Practically no residual blemishes shown up by the Mr Surfacer.  How often does that happen?  (Well for me the answer is not often :blush:.... you chaps probably have quite a different experience :D).

And smoothed right back with Tamiya 1000 and 2000 sanding sponges (used wet) and micromesh 4000 (also wet).

I've tried to show how smooth the result is by catching the light on the filled area in the following photo's - not terribly successfully (sorry):

A6FEC06D-F09B-4C23-80C1-511F3E00F2AE

0141A180-378C-4776-A8A3-650F7D8225B3

You'll probably just have to trust me when I say the result is nice and smooth :blush:

On the 1:1 Hawk there's a reasonably visible join line where the windscreen frame meets the fuselage, which I think (following in Tony's @TheBaron footsteps) I'll add in after painting using a fine graphite pencil, rather than risk mucking things up/going grossly over scale by trying to scribe it in now.

It's been a lot of effort on these windscreens (understatement?) - not to mention re-profiling the noses - but I'm beginning to think (hope) it's been worthwhile.

So we have 2 Hawks with sharpened corners protected with paper strips and ready for.... well possibly ready for painting...

Beginning to look quite pretty I think.  (Also looks just a bit like everyone has banged out to avoid the imminent mid-air collision :D). 

048495B8-2417-4613-AF59-FA84A7B391CE

Or prap's I'll find summat to do on the canopys - or undercarriage or other details and put off the scary business of painting just a bit longer....

We're off the Canada (Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) for a week and a half next weekend.  Wouldn't want to start something I couldn't finish before then after all :whistle:

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 21

53 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Wouldn't want to start something I couldn'lt finish before then after all :whistle:

God forbid!  :rofl:

Windscreen(s) looking very smooth, Steve! :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

Unless/until you get your printer Terry , I can't see that it'd be worthwhile buying a bottle of printing resin.

Thanks Steve, good advice....

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

We're off the Canada (Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) for a week and a half next weekend.

One of my (numerous) sons lives in Canada (at the moment), and has recently travelled through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with his partner, in their search for a place to settle. Picked the wrong time of year I suspect, as they subsequently have now headed way west, and ended up in Calgary which they quite like, so they plan to stay for a bit whilst they both accumulate more funds (he does 3D modelling for the film industry) to ultimately decide where they want to settle. Latest idea seems to be back to Europe, possibly France, wel his partner is French and I suspect she is leading the decision making process! With his skills "in the family" you'd think I'd be racing for a 3D printer (in the blood surely) but logistical practicalities are delaying things for me on that front at  present.....

Anyway, enjoy your trip. My limited experience of Canada so far is that it's a great place! If you ever get the chance to explore the shores of Lake Huron I'd recommend that too.

The Hawks do seem to be colour ready indeed. Looking forward to that bit!

T

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

We're off the Canada (Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) for a week and a half next weekend.  

I hope you're there for the week and half every year when it's not raining or snowing in the Maritimes...  It's a beautiful part of Canada, though I'm biased towards Niagara Region (lived there for a long time).

The Hawks look splendid.  I'm so looking forward to you painting them.

• Like 1

These Hawks raise the bar with every update Steve very much looking forward to seeing them in paint now!

Enjoy Canada 

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

looks just a bit like everyone has banged out to avoid the imminent mid-air collision :D

Cant blame yourself considering how much of them is missing, plus they are supposed to be you twice  :)

I like the wingtip repair method too, damned sexy.

What range of UV does your laser type light sabre device operate in please?

Have a great time in Canada but remember we are here waiting...

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 19/06/2022 at 11:31, Fritag said:

You'll probably just have to trust me when I say the result is nice and smooth :blush:

We always trust you. Even when you're showing off.     :tease:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, perdu said:

What range of UV does your laser type light sabre device operate in please?

I got this one Bill,

Ultrafire 395-405nm LED UV torch

The printing resin advertised itself as curing at 405nm so I looked for a torch producing that wavelength.

TBH I don’t know/couldn’t easily find out how sensitive to wavelength the curing process is - so I don’t know how close you need to be.

This one wasn’t a bad price at c.£19, but there are rather cheaper UV torches - only c.£6 or £7 - out there at 365nm and 395nm and I suspected that the latter at least would do the job well enough.  But I just wasn’t (and still am not) sure….

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, Fritag said:

To say I'm sold on the idea of using it as a fine filler is a masterpiece of understatement.  It works brilliantly.

This is really brilliant idea to use UV resin as fine filler. I was using tiny drops to repair some print defects of printed parts but never thought to use is as fine filler. I did this using PU resin and in some cases it works fine but it has adhesion problems to surface.

Serkan

• Like 1

I am thinking that as I head into my early dotage the benefits of this piece of equipment both as as a modelling aid and as advertised, will be a valuable friend. I have been waiting for a stable, quick gap filler have two dogs and a weak bladder.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

395nm and I suspected that the latter at least would do the job well enough.

Cos I'm cheapskate I have the 395nm one but seems to be only good for highlighting & retrieving parts stolen by the carpet moster but won't cure Elegoo std gray, never tried it with any other resin. The cheap LED from my UV glue pen works well though.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 5:10 AM, mark.au said:

It's a beautiful part of Canada, though I'm biased towards Niagara Region (lived there for a long time).

Looking forward to it Mark.  I’ve been to various places in Canada in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec and had a great time back in the RAF days doing a Maple Flag from Cold Lake, but I’ve never yet been to Atlantic Canada (Goose Bay excepted).  I do like Toronto and I like Niagara on the Lake, and the Canadian Heritage Museum at Hamilton (obvs.) but the town of Niagara Falls itself leaves me cold.  Envy you living in the region though.  I’d happily of settled in Canada.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:39 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Cos I'm cheapskate I have the 395nm one but seems to be only good for highlighting & retrieving parts stolen by the carpet moster but won't cure Elegoo std gray, never tried it with any other resin. The cheap LED from my UV glue pen works well though.

Interesting, CT (don’t mean the bit about being cheapskate :D (although noted for next we meet an the question of who’s buying coffee or beer arises)).  My attempts at web research into wavelength and/or power requirements for resin curing didn’t get very far.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, Serkan Sen said:

This is really brilliant idea to use UV resin as fine filler.

Yep.  Wish I could claim it as mine own; but simply standing in the footsteps of giants :D

If memory serves me Serkan, I got a small bottle of the Elegoo ABS-Like Photopolymer Resin because you’d had good results with it.  I thought it printed very nicely, but for the stuff I’m doing I’ve not noticed any definitive difference between it and the Elegoo water washable resin - and I prefer the convenience of being able to do an initial rinse in water before using IPA in the Elegoo Mercury for final cleaning.  Extends the life of the IPA in the Mercury considerably.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, Serkan Sen said:

I did this using PU resin and in some cases it works fine but it has adhesion problems to surface.

Likwise!

Tiny step forward on the Hawks, in amongst the chaos of getting up to speed with work pre-hols and sorting out all the admin for going on hols (it’s nigh on impossible to hire a car in Newfoundland unless you book months in advance - but thankfully there’s a thriving ‘car sharing’ market - sort of like Airbnb for cars), in that I’ve prepped and primed the printed pylons and CBLS bits.

The priming has brought out the printed detail quite pleasingly.

As an aside - I’ve been following and thinking about the various discussions on BM over the merits of priming (or not) and primers various (esp. given @hendie and other’s recent travails with Alclad) and I’ve sort of decided not to bother so much with purpose designed primers; so I just gave these bits a light first coat of Tamiya flat white well thinned with Mr Colour Levelling thinner.

Piccies:

Pylon:

30C6537E-C8C8-4041-AE9C-C88DDE56445F

35E7B120-3C05-47BB-A4BE-BB19C627E643

CBLS

E3E0C299-E37E-4E2E-965A-56DE7B52E458

BAA4AAB4-37A3-4435-A4F6-958B3450A7DD

Bomblets

E06C3FF3-9759-4931-AD5F-9E027C141F72

Bomblets fitted to the CBLS.  That’ll do me in 1/72 scale.

F042E496-458A-46D3-BF8F-4AA1E52127B3

Final dryfitting/check of the pylons.  I think the pylons are in dark green and wouldn’t involve any tricky masking if I fix them in place now.  Subject to double checking that point the next step is to glue them in place.

65E17D69-892F-4A55-A520-1D59CECA20A7

The Tamiya flat white ‘bit’ very nicely and seems durable enough - best of all it’s nice and thin and smooth.  No good as a filler-primer of course but I was trying to avoid the whole ‘filler’ aspect of priming anyways.

Sooo running out of jobs to do pre-painting.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 15

28 minutes ago, Fritag said:

By immaculate preparation, loving those CBLSes Steve would they grace a Hunter I wonder?

Maybe an RAF Buccaneer?

Funny fact:

I was looking and pondering my own set of CBLSes this very morning whilst preparing a gunsight for the Hurricane...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fritag said:

:tasty:  :tasty: 

Pylons an bomb-related stuff looking ace, Steve! :clap: :clap: 

Enjoy your hols! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Beautiful work there on the pylons CBLS and its contents Steve!

I'm also liking this proven trend to move away from constant use of dedicated primers. Seems to be the fashion!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Maybe an RAF Buccaneer?

Yes, I believe that is the case Bill, and I'm sure Steve wont mind me sharing a pic I shared with him a while back, all hanging off a good old Buccaneer......

IMG20220114081330

Don't you just love fast jets!

Well, I do 😁

T

• Like 11
  • Haha 1