A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

18 hours ago, Fritag said:

PS.  Have yet to dig out my limited stock of decals to see if I have the necessary fin markings or whether the begging bowl is still needed :blush:

If it is the 4FTS decal you need can you confirm whether the emblem on the Hawk is the same size as the Hunter because if it is you can have a copy of mine.

If the size differs just tell me the size on the Hawk and I will reset the size to suit, no problem.

P1010098.jpg

• Like 1

It’s always hard to come up with something that isn’t repetitive or clichéd in this thread.  
….….

……

….

Nah.  Got nothing, I second the foregoing comments. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

It’s always hard to come up with something that isn’t repetitive or clichéd in this thread.  
….….

……

….

Nah.  Got nothing, I second the foregoing comments. 🤷‍♂️

Never a problem with me, I just rattle on down the rickety wrong path all the time.

Consider countless silent movies with mining trucks on rocking wooden trackways and hapless folks' arms waving in the air.

Describes most of my existence.😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, perdu said:

If it is the 4FTS decal you need can you confirm whether the emblem on the Hawk is the same size as the Hunter because if it is you can have a copy of mine.

If the size differs just tell me the size on the Hawk and I will reset the size to suit, no problem.

Thanks Bill, I’ll check today.  It’s so long since I decided on the particular airframes that I’ve forgotten whether I’ve got the decals to do them :blush:

It’s back to Fusion 360 this morning.  The windscreens are fouling on the front of the coamings and so not sitting at all flush with the fuselage when attempting to glue them

Having weighed up the pros and cons the easiest and best solution is probably to remodel the front coamings so they’re a bit smaller at the front, and then print, paint and fit a couple of new ones.  Not a terribly big task.

I thought I’d got all the dimensions correct and everything fitted together ok in the virtual world.  The lesson for today is to allow a bit of extra tolerance for the real world - especially when combining printed and kit bits.

Actually I thought I’d done that.

So the lesson for today is to allow a whole chunk of tolerance for the real world especially when etc etc.

Or maybe just measure the kit bits better to start with.

One of them is the lesson anyway.  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

It’s so long since I decided on the particular airframes that I’ve forgotten whether I’ve got the decals to do them

Checked my stocks..

I have 4FTS badges from a Hunter T7, same as Bill I think

3FTS badges from a JP T5

Modeldecal Hawks XX190 '105', XX196 '111' all from camou birds from 234 sqn TWU Brawdy in 78

Modeldecal Hawks 4 FTS/CFS xx172 and XX238

I also have a mate (yes real people like me) who might still have Modeldecal CFS birds XX164 and XX165. I basically gave him Modeldecal set 45 cos he needed the Norwegian F-5 markings, so need to check if he still has the Hawks on that sheet.

Let me know anyway

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, perdu said:

Thanks Bill

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Checked my stocks..

Let me know anyway

Thanks Terry.

It turns out I've got the 4FTS decal for a Hawk on Modeldecal set no 86 (1/72) so I'm sorted for that :D

I reminded myself that I'm doing:

(1) XX176 in the Valley (4 FTS) scheme (1983) and

(2) XX263 in the Chivenor 63 Squadron scheme (1984).

When I say reminded myself I backtracked to page 1 of the thread and checked :blush:.

Delving into the cupboard of neglected Hawk stuff I see that I've got:

Modeldecal set no 86 (1/72) - which has a 4FTS Hawk XX172 complete with the 4FTS badge for the tail.

Xtradecal X72169 (1/72) which is a Hawk Multi Pack which has a 4FTS Hawk XX 164 and various wrap around camouflage Hawks including some from 63 squadron although not XX263.  The closest is XX283.

So I can steal the 6 from XX164 (Xtradecal) to add to XX172 (Modeldecal) to make XX176.

And I can find 2s and 3s and the 63 squadron markings from the Xtradecal set for XX263.  But annoyingly XX164 is the only serial in the 2 sets that has a 6 in it.  So I'm short some 6s in the right colour/size combination for XX263.

That said, I'll very probably be able to find some black and white 6's in the corrects sizes from other 1/72 decals I've got such as Xtradecal X72158 - which is a set of white numbers and letters and various 1/72 Jet Provost and Chipmunk sheets left over from those builds.

So should be good to go.

Quickly (with a cup of coffee in Pret in Harrogate as it happens) modified the front coaming in Fusion from this:

E7BE1EFD-62A3-4EF0-B10E-B77A7FF5603E

To this:

66B7BB1B-13AE-4AB7-BBB8-762FBFC80FDA

I just cut off the front of the coaming at the line seen in the photos and created a new pointier front section by sketching a new and smaller front cross section and doing a new 'loft'.  It has to start tapering at that point and not further back as the coaming has to fit over the instrument panel.

There's a print run of a few copies in progress as I type.

• Like 10

Great to see how 3D tech can do these little tweaks. Was that a tweak to make it fit better, a tweak to make it more like prototype, or perhaps both!

Love this technology.

Terry

• Like 1

Just now, Terry1954 said:

Was that a tweak to make it fit better, a tweak to make it more like prototype, or perhaps both!

In terms of the coaming in isolation definitely the former rather than the latter and not both.  But the fact that it’s not the latter will be hidden by the windscreen frame and actually when in situ with the windscreen fixed in place I think the effect will be both.  Clear?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/30/2022 at 6:03 PM, Fritag said:

How was it missed that the retractable stopwatch mount on the rear coaming of the Valley Hawk was back to front?

Thank God!  I’ve been wondering for weeks how I was going to tell you….

[And if you believe that…].

Immaculate canopery.  Glorious

• Haha 9

On 6/2/2022 at 1:18 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[And if you believe that…].

Momentarily - But credulity had passed even before the last dot of your ellipses :D

On 6/2/2022 at 4:33 PM, perdu said:

9s are 6s upside down.

Ok. I’ll go back and look at the decals upside down :winkgrin:

So what follows is a sort of one step forward and two steps back sort of post :blush:  But I did the work and took the photos so I’m bloomin well gonna use em.

Seemed to start well, with the addition of the weapons sight glass:

34B15D22-EEA3-4DB0-8895-08FD5ED007C7

4AFC8FA1-DF1D-4BCA-9412-4F645CABC031

Seemed to continue well with with fixing the windscreens into place.  Medium thickness CA did the trick.

I used printing resin, cured with a UV torch, as a filler; following the lead set by several notable BM’ers.  A CA applicator worked nicely.

1CBC4E4C-A3BE-4898-BCA4-F808C65A5C44

Piccies:

D0F1BFBF-80BB-4C16-967E-214A66A61A37

6CAEA6C2-A067-430A-862F-7EC3FA54F4E9

And then I noticed (from the photos) that resin had seeped up between the windscreen and the coaming.  Thus:

F9BDE4CA-BB0C-4096-9350-408E70AC14FF

Did it with both Hawks - you can see the same in the piccie of the Valley Hawk above… :oops:

Once seen of course it can never be unseen.  :rage:

So.

Windscreens off.  One step back.

Coamings off.  Two steps back.

And the printer is busy producing some more windscreen frames and coamings.

You’ve gotta larf aven’t you…:whistle:  Progress is soooo overated 

Still the concept seems to work :D

• Like 7
  • Sad 8

That's frustrating.

You know what they say Steve, if at first you don't succeed ..............

BTW, is that clear red potion in picture 3 above, some sort of new chemical we need to know about?

Terry

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's frustrating.

You know what they say Steve, if at first you don't succeed ..............

BTW, is that clear red potion in picture 3 above, some sort of new chemical we need to know about?

Terry

Good spot Terry, looks kinda dangerlethal to me.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Once seen of course it can never be unseen.  :rage:

So.

Windscreens off.  One step back.

Coamings off.  Two steps back.

Been there, done that (on the Museum build no less, if you recall :banghead:  :wall:)

You did the right thing, IMHO. This, of course, is postponing the search for the airbrush - oops, I meant the painting stage - even more... :D

Ciao 

• Haha 9

Gosh, that would be irritating.  I bet gosh wasn’t the first word to come to mind.  If you run a little swipe of PVA or some such would that seal the gap and prevent seepage next time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

This, of course, is postponing the search for the airbrush - oops, I meant the painting stage - even more... :D

I found it.  I used it to paint the coaming black.  And that turned out to be a waste of time didn't it..... :rofl2:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

sort of tension we need in BM threads. 

Or is it? :D

It is.  Just in other people's......

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

I bet gosh wasn’t the first word to come to mind.

It wasn't; but thankfully the thinking juice (and by that stage a drop of Highland Park) had taken the edge off my clarity of thought so it never crystallised on anything beyond vague inarticulate muttering,

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

If you run a little swipe of PVA or some such would that seal the gap and prevent seepage next time?

The liquid resin seemed very promising as the filler so I think it's worth trying it again.  Once the gaps are sealed in some way like you suggest, Mark.

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Another couple of swigs of that thinking juice and I'm sure you'll have it sorted.

Yes I'm sure the thinking juice is the solution and not the problem :D

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nasty, but I thought you printed spares?

Must be the juice....

I did.  But I thought I'd cracked it and didn't need them anymore....  Perhaps the juice did have something to do with that premature overconfidence :blush:

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

The 4FTS badge is also on Xtradecal set X72166 for a RED/White/BLUE aircraft XX164 RAF Vally in 6-1990 if that's any help

Thanks Gondor - noted for future reference if needed.

I now have a print-plate load of new windscreen frames and coamings.  Let Deja Vu commence...

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3