A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

3 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Wasn't there an airfield in the Hawk Knees that you get sin-binned for saying?

Associated with HMS Tern I believe.

Box On 

Strickers

RNAS Twatt perchance?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 825 said:

RNAS Twatt perchance?

For those of you reporting this post for use of a bad word, there was actually an RNAS Twatt otherwise known as HMS Tern, this was located next to the town of Twatt on Orkney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Twatt_(HMS_Tern)

Twatt on Orkney is not to be confused with Twatt on Shetland.

Julien

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 5/9/2022 at 9:10 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

We did a series of acceleration tests on the main runway at CU during Summer leave when I was down there on detachment with a Lynx; car on right of runway (so the Lynx pilot could see it) standing start; Lynx in hover to the left of it; countdown over radio.  The Lynx thrashed all cars after about 50 yards (there's always a bit of inertia however hard you stand the cab on its nose and pull the lever up around your ears), but the 205 fared best of all the cars up to that point - small and light, I guess.

Reminds of the time back when the Australian GP was held in Adelaide, one year a Lynx from a visiting RN ship raced Ricardo Patrese around the circuit.  The Lynx won, but it was close.  The Lynx also put on a display that included achieving AOA that were frankly frightening to be sitting beneath.

AW

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Re Milk Machine stickers, is that a young @perdu choosing his favourite? Mine was the strawberry. Sandals and brownie camera too! I had that fashion once 😎

Don

Didn't we all Don.

Mind you he does look a bit southern lah-di-da for me or my mates, probably a lad from the Home Counties.

Yes strawberry did it for me and my mates too, although one lad was keen on the orange juice.

:)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 10:25 PM, Julien said:

For those of you reporting this post for use of a bad word, there was actually an RNAS Twatt otherwise known as HMS Tern, this was located next to the town of Twatt on Orkney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Twatt_(HMS_Tern)

Twatt on Orkney is not to be confused with Twatt on Shetland.

See - this is what happens when I go on hols - the mods have to sort you lot …. :D

I of course have never given a school-boy snigger when passing either of these fine Old Norse named settlements when in Orkney or Shetland, being much to grown up…

Speaking of Orkney; the weather was mainly glorious (takes luck that does).

Old Man of Hoy anyone?  With the Stromness-Scrabster ferry photobombing to boot.  

2F5BA719-0B60-4260-B7DF-AEAF80C03809

It’s one of my favourite Orkney walks.  Ferry from Stromness to Moaness on Hoy and then there and back across Hoy.  Great views.

73314066-FE0D-407F-8C0A-9031E95E9ABD

Anyroad up.  We’ve been back a week and I finally found some time time to move the Hawks (a bit) forward.

Fixed the vac-formed windscreen to the printed and painted frames.  Did two of each colour so I’ve got a practice piece/spare for each Hawk.

They look neat enough at the mo’ and as Iong as I can keep from damaging/interfering with the internal edges of the frames where they meet the windscreen, so I don’t have to mask and re-paint those areas, I’ll be happy.

98D9B7CC-40D4-4785-9391-B6AEBAB7E380

On 5/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, cngaero said:

Hi Steve,

Just a thought, but have you considered clear PVA? …..

Chris.

Thanks Chris; I’ve got some PVA in the garage; that said, isn’t Gator’s Grip a similar sort of glue?

Anywhichway my glue of choice for fixing frames various to the PETG vac forms was thin Gator’s Grip,  thinned with tap water to a consistency that I could use an old flex-I-file CA applicator to apply it and leave capillary action to do its stuff.

Ages ago I bought a bag-load of tattoo ink cups, which are perfect for mixing up small quantities of liquid like this.

EF478FDF-5BF9-496B-B69A-A273228F65C3

So I now have 3 canopies with the printed MDC/internal frame glued in place.  2 and a spare.

6A700CFA-A28A-4730-B978-2FEB1A995015

At this stage I haven’t removed the little printed support links - which can still be seen in the photos at the front and rear ends of the MDC.  The next task will be to mask and paint the external canopy framing.  Hopefully that will finish them off nicely.

The middle canopy in this photo approximates the potion the open canopies will be posed in.

0F14668B-18B2-4C36-8205-69CE5FD4BAA1

And after a certain amount of angsty test fitting and checking that the windscreens did indeed fit over the top, I finally glued the printed front coamings in place and dry fitted the rear ones.

The fit of the printed rear coamings seems fine so I’ll just leave them in place and run some thin CA around the edges to do the fixing.

Valley Hawk.

A06D832C-7460-4731-B4A5-DCA7152867F2

D322AD21-350C-4241-B81B-7D57DEEE2FAC

Chivenor Hawk - with weapons sights. 

4DE16802-BEB8-4228-8B1C-0EFC5CC6F5DC

On second thoughts I might leave the rear coaming off of the Chivenor Hawk a bit longer, otherwise I can see the weapons sight support arms getting knocked off.  The front ones’ll be ok as the windscreen, once fitted, will shield them from clumsiness…

Thats it I’m afraid.  Next job is to fix and blend in the windscreen…..

• Like 28

Those canopies are nothing short of impressive, Steve! :worthy:  :worthy:  :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Edit: I forgot to add, beautiful scenery, BTW!

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

Wot dem says.

I can belay testing Evostick thinned then, I might not bother now and save me buying a new tin .

Phew

Your method looks briliiant, no obvious over run of the glue at all.

Dont know why I worried.

A nice 22.09k meander there Steve, good weather then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking stunning Steve, just stunning :) 

Yep the Orkneys are beautiful :winkgrin:

Last time we were there we had 60mph winds and crashing seas.  Still stunning - just different.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I can belay testing Evostick thinned then, I might not bother now and save me buying a new tin .

Phew

Your method looks briliiant, no obvious over run of the glue at all.

Dont know why I worried.

Well I wos worried.  Test went ok so plunged immediately into definitive Evostickless attempt.

Still want to know how the Evosticky thinninessness works out tho’ Bill - and I doubt I’m the only one.

PS.  Have yet to dig out my limited stock of decals to see if I have the necessary fin markings or whether the begging bowl is still needed :blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I remember watching the 1967 climb of the Old Man on TV in glorious black and white.

I didn't realise this thread had been going quite  that long!

More meticulous Hawkery Steve.  I cannot lie... I am drooling at the thought of seeing them after the crayons are out.   

Those canopies.

Those cockpits.

Those details.

7R2K.gif

• Haha 10

Looks like your Orkney trip was full of splendour.

Also looks like those Hawk canopies are full of splendour!

Re any decals required, I have many Modeldecal sets with Hawks featuring plus some Modelart as I recall, so just yell if you are challenged in that regard.

Terry

• Like 2

Oooh!

Splendiforous canopies!

Glad to see you didn't mix up the fore and aft coamings. That would be something I would likely do, then not notice until all canopies were in place!

Ian

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Glad to see you didn't mix up the fore and aft coamings. That would be something I would likely do

Well now Ian.

Maybe not; but I did make an alternative c*ck-up - albeit one that requires a certain overly-pedanticness to worry about :blush:.  Which I’m pleased to report that none of you possess :D

Exhibit one - photo from earlier:

12C0B0D9-A17A-46C8-A534-488D605F0061

How was it missed that the retractable stopwatch mount on the rear coaming of the Valley Hawk was back to front?

The real thing hinges along the flat edge and so if the 1/72  backseater tried to raise it he’d be staring at the rear of it…. 

When I first modelled the rear coaming in Fusion I cut and pasted the stop watch mount from the front coaming and pasted it backwards through inattentiveness.  I didn’t notice it until I’d printed a few.  One of em must have found it’s way into the paint pile.  Quality control eh….

Swapped it for a correct one now.  Exhibit two:

FD2547CB-E00F-4B8A-BACE-6A943623F357

Dunno if I’m more embarrassed about the error - or about being a pedant enough to notice it and then being bothered enough to do something about it :blush::blush::blush: :winkgrin:

What would I have done if I hadn’t got a ready painted correct spare….  Would I have been anal enough to print and paint a correct one?  Don’t want to think about it…..

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Haha 10

51 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Would I have been anal enough to print and paint a correct one?

I think the answer is YES as every time you looked at it it would have stood out like a sore thumb!

Really outstanding attention to detail on this pair and it really is paying off

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Well now Ian.

Maybe not; but I did make an alternative c*ck-up - albeit one that requires a certain overly-pedanticness to worry about :blush:.  Which I’m pleased to report that none of you possess :D

How was it missed that the retractable stopwatch mount on the rear coaming of the Valley Hawk was back to front?

The real thing hinges along the flat edge and so if the 1/72  backseater tried to raise it he’d be staring at the rear of it…. 

When I first modelled the rear coaming in Fusion I cut and pasted the stop watch mount from the front coaming and pasted it backwards through inattentiveness.  I didn’t notice it until I’d printed a few.  One of em must have found it’s way into the paint pile.  Quality control eh….

Swapped it for a correct one now.  Exhibit two:

Dunno if I’m more embarrassed about the error - or about being a pedant enough to notice it and then being bothered enough to do something about it :blush::blush::blush: :winkgrin:

What would I have done if I hadn’t got a ready painted correct spare….  Would I have been anal enough to print and paint a correct one?  Don’t want to think about it…..

I didn't want to say anything. :whistle:

• Haha 2

All caught up! Jeez, I’m knocked out by how effortless you make this all look. Really great work. That sacrificial alter piece you thought of earlier is a masterful idea that I’ll be using no doubt on future builds. Thanks. 😀

utterly wonderful and inspirational work. 

Johnny

• Like 1

I loved the OMoH photo Steve, I missed seeing it close to by a day & have no doubt that the next trip I plan from the antipodes to take in the Orkneys, it'll collapse into the sea the week before. :( 

I'm glad you fixed the stopwatch holder, it was troubling me but I didn't like to say. ;)  :D yeah right!

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

Yep the Orkneys are beautiful :winkgrin:

Last time we were there we had 60mph winds and crashing seas.  Still stunning - just different.

Well actually I meant the canopies, but the Orkneys are quite pretty I have to admit. When the weather's kind.

I'm with Hendie on the stopwatch holder. Once you've seen it, never ignored. Lucky you spotted it before it became tricky to correct.

Pedant? No.

Perfectionist? I refer you, M'lud, to previous posts in this forum :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Unforgivable!

Yeah, right..... :rofl: 

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

You and I need to talk.... 

:rofl: :rofl: 

Splendid attention down to the minute detail as ever, Steve :worthy:  

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

You and I need to talk.... 

See you in a week and a half or so then G :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Well actually I meant the canopies

I know.  I was practising an overly subtle form of diversionary self-deprecation.  Sometimes it’s possibly to be just too British, even for the British…. :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 4