A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

As I’ve been contemplating with considerable pleasure and appreciation the cutting edge CAD and printing work of Alan @hendie and Tony @TheBaron, with Johnny @The Spadgent and Ian @Brandy and CT @Cheshiretaurus and others also now on board with the technology - it makes one realise that it’s just gonna get harder and harder to resist the lure…

Altho’ I think I at least need to be a bit more productive model-wise to be able to formulate a case for the investment involved that stands a chance of passing my own personal judge…. :D

I'm interpreting this as plea for someone to say "GET IT BOUGHT ALREADY" you know you want to!😀

Here's a lovely one! meets your needs perfectly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Photocuring-Off-line-Printing-Size-Black/dp/B07KRWVHSV

Oooh suits you sir!

I'll sit back now and get the popcorn and watch Fritag become the 3D printing master as did with casting and etching

CT

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

I'll sit back now and get the popcorn and watch Fritag become the 3D printing master as did with casting and etchingT

You mean, you have a recipe for everlasting popcorn? :popcorn:This I must see!

Incredulous of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

I had to promise not to share the recipe, sorry

B5xo1pp.png

Er Yummy

And gulp

And will you please stop posting links to unusable machinery which Mrs P might pick up when Windoze and Goggle link back to it later Mark.

If she sees I have opened a link to a desirable it may end up in the pillowcase at the end of the bed on Saturday and I have no aptitude in modern gizmos at all.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Er Yummy

And gulp

And will you please stop posting links to unusable machinery which Mrs P might pick up when Windoze and Goggle link back to it later Mark.

If she sees I have opened a link to a desirable it may end up in the pillowcase at the end of the bed on Saturday and I have no aptitude in modern gizmos at all.

Easy answer...Open link in secret mode🕵️‍♀️

c8dPlql.png

11 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Here's a lovely one! meets your needs perfectly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Photocuring-Off-line-Printing-Size-Black/dp/B07KRWVHSV

Oooh suits you sir!

£220 and free one day delivery… It costs more’n that if my car gets a puncture.

And it’s not as big as I thought.

But could it be used in my (integral but still pretty cold) garage? No way Mrs F would be happy with in the study or (joint) hobby/TV room.  No separate man cave for me…

And would it be fun to learn 3D CAD? - or would it be an impossible use of Fritag atrophying brain cells?  To think that I wos at the cutting edge of computer science (as it was then known as) back in the early 80’s with my computer science ‘A’ level and ZX Spectrum…. I did manage simple 2D CAD for etching tho’…..

On one level it’s just getting harder and harder not to - even tho’ there’s absolutely no objective justifiable need….

I did resist getting a silhouette cutter tho’.  That might stand me in good stead.  BUT; I have just bought a fiendishly expensive Arc’teryx Beta gore tex walking/biking/skiing jacket….

Maybe I’ll initiate an exploratory without prejudice conversation some time over christmas.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

But could it be used in my (integral but still pretty cold) garage?

Think you might need to get a heater mate

fnM0O8e.png

This is Elegoo standard grey resin

Also you could be needing a heater in there soon too if the exploratory without prejudice conversation goes a bit wrong.🥶

• Haha 5

On 12/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Think you might need to get a heater mate

fnM0O8e.png

This is Elegoo standard grey resin

Cripes.  I don't usually have my house thermostat set that high, let alone the garage.  Telling the missus that the heating bills will also increase is not likely to be a winning argument. :rofl2:

Anyways.  Without fully committing to the idea I've plodded on - inbetween the pre-christmas distractions - with the seperate windscreen framing concept.

Painted the outside:

IMG_7363

And the inside:

IMG_7366

And here they sit - waiting to see whether they'll fix neatly enough to the PETG windscreens to pass muster.

IMG_7364

And - I've still got some work to do before I can get back to the bench and try it out.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Cripes.  I don't usually have my house thermostat set that high, let alone the garage.

It will warm up during use so today I wondered what temperature mine was at.

UWyvsRp.jpg

Then did a 45min print which came out ok, temp had risen to 25°C

vdLkLql.jpg

Windscreens look great, will you be doing the same with the main canopy?

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, Fritag said:

£220 and free one day delivery… It costs more’n that if my car gets a puncture.

And it’s not as big as I thought.

And would it be fun to learn 3D CAD? - or would it be an impossible use of Fritag atrophying brain cells?  To think that I wos at the cutting edge of computer science (as it was then known as) back in the early 80’s with my computer science ‘A’ level and ZX Spectrum…. I did manage simple 2D CAD for etching tho’…..

On one level it’s just getting harder and harder not to - even tho’ there’s absolutely no objective justifiable need….

I did resist getting a silhouette cutter tho’.  That might stand me in good stead.  BUT; I have just bought a fiendishly expensive Arc’teryx Beta gore tex walking/biking/skiing jacket….

Maybe I’ll initiate an exploratory without prejudice conversation some time over christmas.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  

You are me a few months ago.

The hardest bit is learning CAD properly, but all that takes is time.  I haven’t yet printed anything worthy of public view, but it’s getting there - and the real point is that the possibilities are almost endless.  In my case, Sea King rotor head / blade fold and weapon carriers in one scale, and assorted lumps of Ark Royal in another…

Which is why you should - and will - do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The hardest bit is learning CAD properly, but all that takes is time.  

Agreed.  Having a printer without being able to produce your own models is really quite limiting. You have to rely on finding your unicorn horns on t'interweb, or worse - having to pay someone to produce the model for you. In which case you are probably better off just purchasing whatever upgrade sets are available.

Fwiw I've used my printer when it's been 16 C or so in the basement and haven't encountered any issues.

2 hours ago, giemme said:

What are you going to use to glue them on?

Ciao

Glue perchance?

I think you answered your own question there Giorgio :D

Or perhaps you were looking for a more specific answer  :whistle:   (sorry, couldn't resist... must be the xmas spirits)

Sheesh all you did Steve was paint a couple of tiny bits red on one side and black on the other - so why am I so envious (of the quality of the work)?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

will you be doing the same with the main canopy?

Might do Mark.  But the main canopy will be hinged to the side so doesn't have the same blending in issues...

2 hours ago, giemme said:

What are you going to use to glue them on?

Cyano G. Like this....

44B6FEC8-9760-48F8-8327-DFBA995492FC

Dry fit.

Promising.  

2411976B-6717-4298-94D3-F89AC9BF3647

The whole purpose of it is to give me a strip of plastic to fill/sand etc. to make the blending of the windscreen into the fuselage easier than it would be with just the PETG moulding.

6146F9AF-6AE3-4F34-AF9E-CE792D25CBE4

357EEBCF-3C30-47CB-9D8B-BAFF81FABAF6

I should have dry fitted the coamings underneath - they'd have looked better then :whistle:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hendie said:

Now he's posting without doing any actual work.

And I'm still envious! 

I dunno, I thought I saw two windscreens there or have I started seeing mirages in my dotage? Wibble!

Delirious of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You are me a few months ago.

The hardest bit is learning CAD properly, but all that takes is time.  I haven’t yet printed anything worthy of public view, but it’s getting there - and the real point is that the possibilities are almost endless.  In my case, Sea King rotor head / blade fold and weapon carriers in one scale, and assorted lumps of Ark Royal in another…

Which is why you should - and will - do it.

We're off to London tomorrow until the 27th.  I'll check the state of my courage after a few G&T's in the RAF club and perhaps raise the subject....

Or maybe just after Mrs F has opened her Christmas prezzie from me?  Too obvious?  Also depends whether the prezzie puts me n the good books or bad...

56 minutes ago, hendie said:

Sheesh all you did Steve was paint a couple of tiny bits red on one side and black on the other - so why am I so envious (of the quality of the work)?

Dunno. It's an entirely irrational response.  For you of all people especially! :rofl2:

50 minutes ago, hendie said:

Now he's posting without doing any actual work.

What do you want, Blood? :D

22 minutes ago, Martian said:

I dunno, I thought I saw two windscreens there or have I started seeing mirages in my dotage? Wibble!

Yes.  see.  Work had been done.  A rational man individual (sorry bit of speciesism there) of discernment (if you ignore the wibble....)

Tis a fine thing to be back at work on the Hawks.  Well as long as you call this work.... Alan?....:rofl2:

Of course I'm immediately going to stop again for a few days now.  Wouldn't do to get too much back into the swing of things.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Wouldn't do to get too much back into the swing of things.....

Perhaps we could assist........:whip:

Motivator of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

Great to see even a tiny weensy bit of progress Steve, and it seems, of a very successful nature.........

Good luck with the 3D printing cost benefit proposals. Mrs K recently asked me whether the Dental Thermo forming machine had reached the payback stage yet. I was able to put a convincing argument that it had, given the impact on my wellbeing lately, and not forgetting the multiple copies I now have of the Viking canopy. Not sure the argument was entirely successful...... 🤔

Terry

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Great to see even a tiny weensy bit of progress Steve

Oy :rofl2: 

I blame Alan for spreading the idea that I’ve done nowt.

It was very stressful attaching them frames to the windscreens with cyano I’ll have you know.  What might’ve only taken minutes might’ve cost me years…. :whistle:

Bad luck with Mrs K’s questions.  Competent and searching cross-examination is just about impossible to survive.  Take heart :D

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Competent and searching cross-examination is just about impossible to survive.

So let me have a go at that ...............

Did one of the above posts, show one of the above Hawks, with a red painted front canopy frame, and if that is so, are we to assume that this Hawk (with the red canopy frame), is to be one of the famous nine (maybe more if they had a spare or two)?

I only put this question to my learned colleague, since I was (perhaps mistakenly) of the assumption that one Hawk was to be an ex mount of yours in red/white/grey scheme (with white front frame) and the other to be another mount of yours as a camouflaged TWU scheme (with DSG frame).

Did I miss something somewhere in these 140 plus pages?

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1