Northrop N3PB Contrail (vacu) 1/72

Hi,

Another very old, archive model - Northrop N3PB made from vacu Contrail kit. Markings are from 330 (Norwegian) Squadron RAF, Reykjavik, Iceland, April-May 1941

I made her more than 20 years ago, in early 1990s, then after some time I changed lettering from red to black when photos of confirmed that code letters should be black...

Regards

J-W

n3pb DSC03743n3pb DSC03741n3pb DSC03739

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

Perhaps I should like to add something about the N3PB construction. It is not obvious for the first sigh, but this machine is a not so far relative of one of the very fameous US warbirds - Douglas SBD Dauntless, The constructor - Jack Northrop started this concept with Northrop Gamma 2A a fast mail machine. Then it developed through Gamma 2D, 2E,... Gamma 5 to Northrop A17 Nomad. A side branch was Northrop Delta, which used the same wing and much wider fuselage. Then, the central part of the wing remained the same, the outer parts became smaller and this was BT1, later developed, already within Douglas company, into SBD Dauntless. And the N3PB was another "side" project still within Northrop - with original large wing. This is is of course a very short summary of more complicated full story...

Cheers

J-W