Sea King in RAF, RN, service

Linus

Hello guys,

I would like to build a Sea King in 1/48 with colors RAF or RN, I have yet to decide, and my indecision is:

1) to buld a Hasegawa kit in limited edition with RAF or RN colors

2) to bulid a Hasegawa or Revell (kit base) with D/S Flightpath, for the decals there aren't problems, in this case.

according to you which solution to better results? Thanks in advance to all those who will give me an opinion.

Rgd Linus :mental:

The RAF only operated one version HAR3, covering 2 colours (Grey if you include the Falklands post conflict) whereas in Fish head service there was around 11 models - most models are available or can be build via after market, so personally Id research further and make your choice.

Personally speaking Id narrow it down to either RAF HAR.3 or Fish Head HU.5 where you can inject a little colour.

The RAF only operated one version HAR3, covering 2 colours (Grey if you include the Falklands post conflict) whereas in Fish head service there was around 11 models - most models are available or can be build via after market, so personally Id research further and make your choice.

Personally speaking Id narrow it down to either RAF HAR.3 or Fish Head HU.5 where you can inject a little colour.

Come on Gary, what's all this fish head nonsence? Th fish heads don't use helicopters they use boats, the correct teminology is WAFU's and the polite derivation is 'well armed and fully used'. But crabs is still crabs. JIJ.

Colin

• Like 4

in Fish head service there was around 11 models -

I thought RN only had 7 mks so presume you are counting sub-types ? If so RAF have two..HAR3 and 3A. Being pedantic but got to stand up for the 'crabs' as the 'WAFUs' are taking over this thread!

Despite that Linus..build an HMS Gannet SAR one.

RG

Come on Gary, what's all this fish head nonsence? The fish heads don't use helicopters they use boats, the correct teminology is WAFU's and the polite derivation is 'well armed and fully used'. But crabs is still crabs. JIJ.

Colin

A very health inter service rivalry Colin :winkgrin: I did 3 tours with 230 at Aldergrove sharing the pan with the NAS Wessex and we were crabs and they were fish heads, no one ever mentioned boats!

I happily wore a "Crab Air" sweatshirt

Please all remember which ever service, they are all supposed to go by the end of this year.

Not so fast... 771 Naval Air Squadron stands down on 31 January 2016 as the last military SAR unit, while the ASaC.7 is not now due to retire until 2018:

http://www.janes.com/article/37615/uk-extends-sea-king-asac-7-life-out-to-2018

Chaps,

I think we are all going a little 'off topic' here and not really helping our Italian colleague out with his dilemma.

Ciao Linus !. IMHO, there is only one way to go and that is to look into a Fleet Air Arm (Navy) machine since they have the most interesting variants. Personally, I would opt for a HC.4 'Commando' variant since they offer an interesting variety of colour schemes....I particularly like the SFOR version from the 1990s with the white 'stripes' over the standard Green 'Junglie' scheme but there are others out there, including one from the Gulf War. Otherwise, a overall Dark Blue Grey one from the early period, a 771 NAS machine with the Dayglo/International Orange markings or one from 814 NAS, bearing NATO Tiger Meet markings although these would have to be custom made. The Hasegawa kit is a good baseline but take care which kit you buy....only the later issues include some of the peculiarities of the British variants, like the sponsons, and whichever one you do, I would recommend you invest in the relevant Flightpath mixed-media update set....you will certainly need one of the latter sets for the HC.4 since there is no kit (in 1:48 scale) that offers the revised sponsons associated with this particular variant. Model Alliance did some nice decals for the British Sea King which may still be available from Hannants.

HTH

For the record, my background was with the 'Crabs' and I have HUGE respect for the work of the RAF part of the SAR Force (not forgetting that the FAA contribute to the UK SAR Force too) but I do think the Royal Navy Sea King types offer the more interesting variants/colour schemes.

• Like 2

I'd have the same dilemma to be fair.

The obvious choice, for me, would be a 22 sqn HAR3a, as I live in the area covered by them, and try to model on a "local" theme.

But I am a bit partial to the Grey and Red "Ace of Clubs", as used by the Andrew's 771 sqn.

Chaps,

I think we are all going a little 'off topic' here and not really helping our Italian colleague out with his dilemma.

Ciao Linus !. IMHO, there is only one way to go and that is to look into a Fleet Air Arm (Navy) machine since they have the most interesting variants. Personally, I would opt for a HC.4 'Commando' variant since they offer an interesting variety of colour schemes....I particularly like the SFOR version from the 1990s with the white 'stripes' over the standard Green 'Junglie' scheme but there are others out there, including one from the Gulf War. Otherwise, a overall Dark Blue Grey one from the early period, a 771 NAS machine with the Dayglo/International Orange markings or one from 814 NAS, bearing NATO Tiger Meet markings although these would have to be custom made. The Hasegawa kit is a good baseline but take care which kit you buy....only the later issues include some of the peculiarities of the British variants, like the sponsons, and whichever one you do, I would recommend you invest in the relevant Flightpath mixed-media update set....you will certainly need one of the latter sets for the HC.4 since there is no kit (in 1:48 scale) that offers the revised sponsons associated with this particular variant. Model Alliance did some nice decals for the British Sea King which may still be available from Hannants.

HTH

For the record, my background was with the 'Crabs' and I have HUGE respect for the work of the RAF part of the SAR Force (not forgetting that the FAA contribute to the UK SAR Force too) but I do think the Royal Navy Sea King types offer the more interesting variants/colour schemes.

thanks to all for the interesting discussion, in particular thanks to Tiger331 that he has taken away my doubts. Well now I have very clear ideas, will buy a Revell (contains mold Hasegawa) and D / S Flightpath, very nice the idea of a HC4 since xtradecal has in the pipeline a decal sheet dedicated to HC4 (hopefully come out soon) and then forward with the other ......

Cheers Linus

Was going to put in my 2 pennies worth until your new post came up! Excellent idea to go for a Mk4. I was going to let you know about the Cutting Edge accessories but as they are short Sponsons and Radar fairings then you won't need these. The flightpath set is very comprehensive, my only 'disappointment' was there is no instrument panel or harnesses. Not the end of the world though! Just read the instructions very carefully. Enjoy the build and to quote the Knight from Indianna Johnes and the last Crusade .......... You have chosen wisely!

Cheers now

Bob

Hi Mr T7 Models, I stand corrected, thank you for the accurate information.

What is happening with the replacement for the AEW Seaking's, I thought some of those wonderful Merlin's the RNare borrowing from the RAF were being fitted with the "dustbins"?

I hope they are careful with the ex Danish ones, they have got plastic floors. I took a load of Cadets on board one at Benson in 2009 and the loadmaster was a worried man.

What is happening with the replacement for the AEW Seaking's, I thought some of those wonderful Merlin's the RNare borrowing from the RAF were being fitted with the "dustbins"?

Project Crowsnest will see eight of the Navy's Merlin HM.2s (not HC.3/4s) modified to allow the installation of a removable radar system. There are two bidders for the contract, Thales UK and Lockheed Martin, and it shouldn't be too long now before the winner is announced.

Thales UK is offering the Cerberus system, using Searchwater 2000 radar as fitted to the ASaC.7, in a similar radome that will be attached to the port side of the helicopter on a vertical rig that will raise it for landing, and lower it for use.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/thales-offers-early-service-entry-as-part-of-uk-crowsnest-409290/

Lockheed Martin is offering the Vigilance system, with a pair of AESA radars supplied by Elta, that will be fitted to the existing weapons hardpoints on either side of the fuselage.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lockheed-advances-credentials-of-aesa-based-crowsnest-409400/

I hope there are aircraft embarked by 2018, if not then when. How long has this ship been on the slips so to speak? So much has been given up for it. It must perform sometime soon.

As for eating crabs, how lonely do the folks from the FAA want to be? 50% + of the aircrew will come from the RAF.

It will not help with recruiting for the RAF, as with my best mate. He was on 1 Squadron Harriers, never expected to go to sea. Did it and left the service. You do not expect to get posted to the Dambusters (617) and find yourself going sailing do you?

All respect to the lads and ladies who go to sea in ships in our name. Does not mean you want to join them!

HMS Queen Elizabeth is due to undertake helicopter trials sometime in 2017, with F-35 trials late in 2018. As to when she will actually embark an air group, who knows?

The Royal Navy gave up several Destroyers .Frigates A Carrier & the Sea Harriers years before they should to save money on the understanding that they would get the two QE carriers, so I get irate at people bleeting on about the expense of them!!! also they were to be built to convert to Cat & Trap yet the BA suddenly say it will cost an arm & a leg to convert them now thus leaving only one aircraft type to fly off them, Lets hope P of W is built with them so we can get aircraft from another source . As it stands if F35B ever goes ahead we will have a RAF 617 Sqn at sea on QE & a FAA 809 NAS based ashore as the OCU !!! a grumpy Grizzly.

• Like 3