A Tiger before the Citadel

• 2 weeks later...

I love the look of these 1/48th Tamiya kits but I've got too many 1/35 kits to go down that road now.

I'm now hooked on these kits - Tigers in particular. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm fascinated by the evolution of designs. Tigers demonstrate that very well indeed with at three major build standards and lots of detail differences. Havening finished this Tiger, I have jumped straight into building an Afrika Korps version.

I wonder how well the 1/48 kits sold. A few years ago the range was a lot more extensive than it is today, with a selection of Stug IIIs and Panthers. You just can't get those these days. The Initial Production Tiger boxing seems to be getting quite difficult to find as well. I hate it when I get the urge to build a model only to find that the kit simply isn't available any more. I had that experience with Hasegawa 1/72 Phantoms and Airfix 1/48 Spitfire 24s - probably explains why there are so many in The Stash at the moment. When they briefly became available again, I bought lots.

It's the same with these 1/48 Tigers. I now have five in The Stash (one Initial, two Early and two Late) plus an AFV Club kit.

One problem with the Tamiya Tigers is that you can't build a mid-production version straight from the box. You have to use the early hull and late turret, leaving you with the problem of finding the weird hybrids which were early production versions retrofitted with the late suspension. It's all very fascinating!