Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IIa, 65 Sqn, 1941

Here is my latest build, finished just last night.

Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IIa, No. 65 Sqn, Royal Air Force, July 1941.

This is not my usual scale at all but I saw this kit on Amazon for a good price and bought 2!!

This is my first ever 1/32 scale kit and first Spit for many years.

No doubt you have seen countless builds of this kit before however I had a great time building it, parts fitting very well throughout and hardly any filler.

Painted with a mix of airbrush and hairy stick with both Xtracrylix and Revell Aqua colours to get a colour balance that I was happy with. I was originally going to lightly weather the machine until I realised that I put the wing walkway decals over the roundels.... As I then began to remove the decal from the roundel I had an idea to give the entire airplane a really worn and heavily weathered look. I basically attacked every decal until I was happy with the look that I was after. A good dose of Flory Dark Wash and a dash of airbrushed gun and exhaust residue completed the weathering. Everything was sealed in using Vallejo rattle can matt varnish (love this stuff for giving a nice even finish).

I know that the weathering may not be to everyones taste but I think it suits the Spit and the era that it was used.

Tried a couple of piccies in natural 'daylight' (can't wait for the summer) the rest taken inside using different settings.

I really enjoyed this kit but it was built with every intention of selling it upon completion, bit of a shame really as I have grown quite attached to it. :-)

Back to 1/72 for a while now.

Cheers all and thanks for looking,

Phil

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

• Like 14

Very nice, I've got one in the stash, I want to back date mine to a Mark Ia of May/June 1940. They do look good kits and uild up wonderfully.