C-53 Skytrooper

This is Italeri's DC-3 Dakota posing as a C-53 Skytrooper of the 315th Troop Carrier Group, 9th Air Force, 309th Squadron, Spanhoe, 1944. This unit transported British Paratroops during Operation Market Garden, 17-25 September 1944.
410964114.jpg

410964115.jpg

410964116.jpg

410964117.jpg

410964118.jpg

• Like 4

Those decals brought back happy memories of being a young boy. I do like the way you pose your figures. Another nice diorama Ratch. Well done and thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Hi Gary, its the Italeri DC-3 with the small back door. I couldn't find information on which Spanhoe squadrons flew C-53s, other than general references. I have one picture of the 309th with aircraft lined up ready for take off, all showing the starboard view, so not helpful regarding whether they're C-47s, C-53s or a mix, so that didn't help either. Lets just say I've used some modeller's licence :whistle:

Ratch...that's just it, you have to go with licence sometimes. Some pics labelled C-53 have C-47 type doors so either there were some amongst the sub marks or the captions are wrong. At least here you've made it different to your C-47 with the door option.

• Like 1