Malta Spitfire Mk.Vc, Plt. Off. Slim Yarra RAAF, 185 Sqn, Hal Far, 1942-Plus some other blue Malta Spits!

Hiya Folks,

After a bit of a gap I`m beginning to finish some models and here is the first of two Sword Spitfire Mk.Vc`s, build in the marlings of BR387, GL-W of 185 Sqn at Hal Far in 1942 which was often flown by Australian Plt. Off.John `Slim' Yarra RAAF;

DSCF3306_zpsfbogsvkf.jpg

DSCF3308_zps1zmw7qx6.jpg

DSCF3328_zpsvylma8yg.jpg

DSCF3333_zps7mslvxpt.jpg

DSCF3160_NEW_zpsuihrrgt0.jpg[/url]

DSCF3215_zpseo1e0ze0.jpg

It was brush painted using Aeromaster Finnish Light Blue to represent the Sky Blue undersides and US Sea Blue for the Blue upper surfaces.

The same dark blue was used on submarines of the 10th Submarine Flotilla operating from Manoel Island in Malta as it gave better camouflage while under the Med where the clear water made submarines easier to see while submerged;

DSCF2371_NEW_zps80s3m5rw.jpg

Subs aren`t really my thing but I built this a while ago! I think that it is the Polish Sokol which was a British built ex RN sub which operated with the 10th Flotilla.

Cheers

Tony

PS- If anybody is interested in this scheme,....here is a Special Hobby 1/48th scale Spitfire Vc that I built some time ago. It is from the same unit and was usually, flown by Flt. Lt. Johnny Plagis who named it `Kay' after his sister. It comes from from this old thread;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32043-special-hobbyeduard-148th-spitfire-mkvcs/?hl=%2Bmalta+%2Bspitfire+%2B185+%2Bsqn

SpitV-4.jpg

WOW,.....as you have all been so kind and shown such interest in Blue Spitfire`s from Malta here are a few of the older Malta Spits from my collection;

Tamiya 1/48th- Spitfire Mk.Vb, EP829, T-N(t) of 249 Sqn flown by the American CO Sqn. Ldr. John Lynch who was credited with scoring Malta`s 1,000th kill in this aircraft.

DSCF6727_zps8sawuy15.jpg

I`ve been asked to provide an underside view of the above, so here is one taken before the yellow codes were overpainted using Azure Blue. Note the red wingtips and the lack of a tropical filter which was removed. Underside colour on this later aircraft is Azure Blue.DSCF6488_zps4luovzbc.jpg

Tamiya-1/48th- Spitfire Mk.Vb, BR586, T-M, 249 Sqn. (The codes should be light blue and I`ll be repainting these).

f2-2_zpsztqsduie.jpg

Hasegawa 1/48th Spitfire Mk.Vb converted to Mk.Vc, BR190, A-2, USS Wasp.

f3-4_zps5xqntwf8.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 26

Its stunning I love it. As ever Tony beautiful brush work you have done the AC proud.

Can't see how a 1/48 vc in Malta colours would interest anyone Tony lol!...i'm just off to steal all the pictures and any info possible for my newly acquired 1/48 spit vc which you s being completed in Malta colours, I feel I have come to a decision on the scheme I want!

Thank you for sharing and great to see some more of your great models completed and on here, always a source of inspiration

Cheers

Rob

Thanks everybody, I`m glad you like them, cheers for saying so and I`m a bit bowled over by the interest in this scheme! I`ve added some more pics in case anybody is interested.

The Sword 1/72nd scale kit is a joy to build and it is highly recommended, better than many mainstream kits!

Cheers

Tony

Loving these Tony, I think there'll be a few more Spits being dug out of the states on BM with all this inspiration :)

Cheers Neil,

I meant to answer you earlier and say `YES' the production line of 20+ models is beginning to grind to fruition, I`ve finished a pair of early Marauder`s and these Spit`s, there are some Airfix and MPM Defiant`s next then Airfix and Brengun Typhoon`s, a pair of Coastal Command Hampdens (Valom and Airfix), a Tomahawk, 1/48th Cessna Crane and some others! The elves are still AWOL so they are taking their time to grind up the desk! I did build an Omani Strikemaster but had a disaster with the varnish so I`m repainting it.

I want to get some more Fleet Air Arm models done starting with the 1/32nd Tamiya Corsair!

Loving your Lincoln by the way,

Cheers,

Tony

Blimey Tony a true return to form

Hope I get my airfix Hampden finished and up before you, hopefully people will have forgotten mine then by the time they see your! Lol

Thanks again for all the above information

Rob

Lovely Spit - like this Malta paint scheme.

Did they get their color especially for the Malta operation and where maybe even painted blue by the local crews?

Anyway, a really nice collection you have there.

Cheers,

Michael