Wheels up options Tamiya 1/72 kits

PhantomBigStu

Still new to this business, mostly sticking with airfix and revell kits, but some point will branch out to others would like to do a tamiya mossie at some point, But do they come with wheels options? Guessing not as it seems most kit makers tend not to aside from the airfix/revell and recent release hasegawa

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Having built a couple Tamiya Mossies, the only way to have wheels up is to omit the main undercart parts, cut off the pegs that hold the doors in place by the bay and fix the doors shut. Tail wheel can be fitted in the up position before joining fuselage halves together. Hope this helps.

I have built several Tamiya Mosquitos ( my favoured scale IS 1/48 ) mainly wheels down with a couple wheels up. If you fancy doing OOB bomb bays then go for the B Mk IV. The FBs are also interesting. Both versions look stunning when posed in flight - the stands are simple to make.. My next Mosquito build will be the Tamiya PR version. The kits go together without any problems. Go for it lad.

Ooops - sorry ! Not your scale.

Edited by Sky Pilot

Having built a couple Tamiya Mossies, the only way to have wheels up is to omit the main undercart parts, cut off the pegs that hold the doors in place by the bay and fix the doors shut. Tail wheel can be fitted in the up position before joining fuselage halves together. Hope this helps.

good point, thought it might be the case, but obviouss some planes are not so simple so good to know about the brand in general, I will be picking one up in due course

Skypilot's assertions on the 1/48 Mosquito also apply to the 1/72 version: remove the pegs and glue the u/c doors shut. Easily done and the doors will fit perfectly in their closed position.