New A-6 Intruder exhaust set available

JeffreyK

Hello,

it's been a while since I've been able to make a new product announcement, but today's that day :yahoo:

I've made a set of full depth resin exhausts and nozzles for the A-6 Intruder family in 1:48, designed in particular for the Hobby Boss kits. I haven't tested them on any other kit, but they may fit or be made to fit the Kinetic or Revell kits as well.

Even though buried deep inside, I just couldn't NOT provide a detailed J-52 business end as well, including a small photo etch part for the probes that stick out into the exhaust gas.

Pictures:

A-6%20Intruder%20Exhaust%20Set_zpsa8ibbuA-6%20Exhaust%20Set%20detail_zpsqlszt1r3A-6%20Exhaust%20Engine%20Detail_zpsdx3oe

Assembled and painted (I could add more weathering), and then test fitted to a Hobby Boss A-6A which has had the kit parts modified as per the instructions that come with the set:

A-6%20Exhaust%20assembled_zpsp83iua3i.jpA-6%20Exhaust%20Assembled2_zps9alyqxu5.jA-6%20Exhaust%20installed_zpsoks0q2b0.jpA-6%20Exhaust%20installed2_zps0sjjrrua.j

Note that this is an Intruder exhaust only - the nozzles on the EA-6B Prowler are a little different (they have more powerful engines).

I'm also currently working on a Mk. GRU5 seat for A-6A's and early A-6E's.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

yes, I'd like to do the EA-6B at some point, I have enough detail references as well. It depends on whether Hobby Boss will eventually produce one as I don't intend to make new duct or engine masters, just a different nozzle. I also don't know whether the ducts from my set fit the current R/M or Kinetic kits...

Cheers

Jeffrey

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received the exhaust set very promptly - and I am not disappointed in the slightest they are really good and clean - took a gamble as I am building the revel kit - but I am sure they will fit with a bit of persuasion! Great service and great product - I look forward to any new additions you may have in development.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I got one question to JeffreyK or anyone who has used those resins.

After assembling all 5 parts into one pipe and preparing all inner parts of model, where should I attach such pipe first?

Should I put it inside the wing, and then attach wing to the hull, or maybe put it inside the hull first, and then gluing wing to this hull with exhaust inside?

How should I make it to avoid any problems with assembly?

Received the exhaust set very promptly - and I am not disappointed in the slightest they are really good and clean - took a gamble as I am building the revel kit - but I am sure they will fit with a bit of persuasion! Great service and great product - I look forward to any new additions you may have in development.

Thanks

Kevin

Let us know how it goes. I've got a Revell/Monogram EA-6A build coming in the future. Engine details are one of the things I find lacking in a lot of kits and has been something I tend to spring for some AM on.

I got one question to JeffreyK or anyone who has used those resins.

After assembling all 5 parts into one pipe and preparing all inner parts of model, where should I attach such pipe first?

Should I put it inside the wing, and then attach wing to the hull, or maybe put it inside the hull first, and then gluing wing to this hull with exhaust inside?

How should I make it to avoid any problems with assembly?

Hi there and sorry for the confusion! If you have prepared all wing and fuselage parts according to the instructions and dry-fitted the resin exhausts, the next step is to fully build up each fuselage half with its corresponding wing inner wing and engine cowls SEPARATELY. Then install the resin exhausts, they should be glued flush against the fuselage wall (keeping the forward ends parallel) with perhaps a tiny bit more glue near the nozzle end. Should you have shaved a lot of plastic off the inner fuselage side then just add a shim of plastic so the exhausts touch the side when parallel. The fuselage haves are put together WITH inner wings, cockpit, exhausts and all the rest already installed.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

Let us know how it goes. I've got a Revell/Monogram EA-6A build coming in the future. Engine details are one of the things I find lacking in a lot of kits and has been something I tend to spring for some AM on.

Standby for a specific EA-6B set. The instructions will be for the Kinetic kit but if my Intruder exhausts can fit into the Revell A-6 (and I've heard that that's the case) then my Prowler exhausts will likely fit into the Revell EA-6B...

J

I'll likely be building an A (Electric Intruder) before a B (Prowler).....though I'm sure a 1/48 B is in my future (I've already got a pair of 1/72 in the stash).

Got your site bookmarked so I can keep tabs on what you're making. :thumbsup:

Hi there and sorry for the confusion! If you have prepared all wing and fuselage parts according to the instructions and dry-fitted the resin exhausts, the next step is to fully build up each fuselage half with its corresponding wing inner wing and engine cowls SEPARATELY. Then install the resin exhausts, they should be glued flush against the fuselage wall (keeping the forward ends parallel) with perhaps a tiny bit more glue near the nozzle end. Should you have shaved a lot of plastic off the inner fuselage side then just add a shim of plastic so the exhausts touch the side when parallel. The fuselage haves are put together WITH inner wings, cockpit, exhausts and all the rest already installed.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Jeffrey, if I understood you correctly:

1. I join all 5 resin parts of exhaust in one piece - the pipe.

2. Then I build up both halves of fuselage, and both inner wings separately.

3. Next I sand all necessary walls of fuselage to make them thinner, remove inner lips etc.

4. Then I glue together both fuselage halves with corresponding inner wings - separately.

5. The final: I place the PIPE inside the glued half of jet.

Am I right?

It is possbile to put inside the half of hull with wing attached this Z shape pipe as one part?

Yes, that's correct correct. If all plastic parts are thinned as per the instructions the whole pipe will fit in without a problem, but you need to slip it in from the inside and then set the alignment and glue. That's why yoy need to do this before both fuselage halves are joined togehter.

Cheers

J

Ok, thank you very much for explanation.

BTW, do you know maybe paint colour for this engine exhaust (I mean the mouth), inside and the outside?

On pictures it looks like dark iron, or maybe just steel with a little soot.

I'd start with steel or stainless steel for the tubing and burnt metal for the turbine end. Then add jet exhaust or some other flat, dark, sooty colour little by little on the inside and a little on the nozzle outside as well. The seal around the outer tube looks more like a copper or maybe brass colour.

Jeffrey