1-12 Atomic City 2001 EVA Pod

Caerbannog

This is really getting tight again...

After a lot of unexpected trouble with the visor the pilot is now finished but two decals. I used clear plastic from a yogurt packing in the end which was clear and flexible enough. Now looking at the pictures I should maybe add a wash - it is a bit toy-like:

pxg2001_zpstrhgax2g.jpg

I found the kits control panels and glued them in place with Testors clear parts glue. This is water based and certainly attacked the ink jet printed backlit foils. But at this late time I cannot take prisoners. As I will keep the door shut I suppose this will not be seen once the pod is completed:

pxh2001_zpsmpystxtc.jpg

Doing further work on my LEDs I noticed my plan to simply wire them in line does not work - I will need more than 20V to lighten them up, which is not really handy. I started to experiment and reduced the needed power but not enough yet. I guess I have to redo some of the wiring - which puts me back in my schedule. I was eager to close up the pod by yesterday night and would have done so if the power problem did not occur... I hope to solve it tonight - otherwise I am in bigggg trouble with the time line.

Rene

• Like 2

Thanks. I did a night shift yesterday and redid the entire wiring - partly with my wire wrapping tool and partly by soldering. The big advantage of the wire wrapping tool is (for me) that you do not need three hands and it works without electricity. So you can do the wiring anywhere easily - not just in the workshop.

So now everything is in parallel and works with just 6V.

pxj2001_zpsp2ymwe9n.jpg

pxk2001_zpsqvwttxyv.jpg

I am still annoyed by the one bright white LED which has a warmer colour than the other three. But I do not have another one with the same hue as the other three so have to live with it. Or: I will try to get the hue more blueish by painting it with clear blue. I will give it a try... What can I loose ;-)

So later today I will cut some thick paper to guide and seal the light at the rear of the cockpit and then I can close the pod. Other than that there is not so much to glue anymore: Some parts need to be cut from plastic and attached to the pod and there are two very tight fitting vents which need to be installed. Actually I did this already. The instruction say they are a very snug fit but it was so tight that I broke one. As it was 1 am already I decided this to be a hint to go to bed.

One last thing for this update and a small preview:

pxi2001_zpscbh1y47k.jpg

I will do another nightshift which will include closing the fuselage and maybe (hopefully) even seam filling with superglue and baking soda. Tomorrow I have not too much time so I need to get the white paint on latest tomorrow morning. I hope my next post will be in the gallery. Either way I will post pics of the remaining work here next week. Thanks for looking.

Rene

• Like 5

The console looks brilliant lit up, great work. I don't think painting the LED with clear blue will work, it will just look blue. White LEDs produce white light from a pseudo spectrum, usually yellow and blue and trying to filter them doesn't work. If it really bothers you then get another LED but frankly it looks good to me and I think a bit of tonal variation is a good thing.

• Like 1

OK here is supplement 1 with all not yet described interior work plus some exterior details:

After I finalized the wiring I had to shield the LEDs so there will not be any light where it should not be. This included sealing the very bright white LED at the rear which is next to two red LEDs which are not as bright. If the white LED is not "separated" from the red ones you can hardly see any red light at all. I boxed in all LEDs with 120 g white paper cut roughly to shape. The paper was put in place with aluminium tape, which did not only secure the paper but also effectively blocked the light. In some areas which were too tight for the aluminium tape I used Blutack which works fine for this.

The final work on the interior was to paint and detail the door, which is effectively hidden behind the figure once the pod is closed...

pxl2001_zpskuomy43p.jpg

After the interior was done there were some exterior details I added before closing the sphere. Among these are two "vents" under the door. These are provided as shallow resin pieces which fit very tight into two recesses in the pod. The first vent snapped in and the second broke at this attempt. Luckily I had a brass tube of the needed diameter so two replacements were cut quickly. In the end I am very happy the resin part broke:

pxm2001_zps3qxw5bge.jpg

To be continued...

Rene

• Like 2

Up next I closed the pod and some details had to be scratched from sheet and added to the exterior of the pod. The seam at the top of the pod had to be sanded down as there was a step of roughly 1 mm between front and rear part. Some filler was needed on several seams but not much:

pxn2001_zps7wloxfeg.jpg

The arm are not glued to the pod btw. So they can be removed for transport.

I masked the searchlights and HALs eye with discs cut from 120g paper. The window was masked with paper and a blutack sausage before priming and spraying with automotive rattle cans:

pxo2001_zpsqptamhai.jpg

As mentioned before the pod is mounted to an aluminium tube (it is covered in masking tape in the pictures above). This tube is stuck in the pod and then slid over a brass tube which is mounted on the lamp base. This brass tube held a glass sphere for the lamp in its previous live in my grandparents bedroom. When I replaced that lamp I wanted to use the base for my AMT Rancor but then the pod need a base more urgently.

To be continued...

Rene

• Like 2

Looks good closed up and with some paint on. I'm curious about the paper masking and why you didn't use tape?

Thanks. The paper masks were easier to handle in this case. I cut just push the paper disks into the floodlihgts and they stuck fast without any adhesive. After spraying I poked a needle through the paper and lifted it out. The window was a bit trickier - here I used the Blutack saussage to hold the paper in place (which was cut slightly smaller than the black anti glare surrounding) and was pushed so it sealed the corrugated surface agains paint mist. I gues this would be tricky with tape.

Hals eye paper mask needed a blob of Blutack to stay firmly in place. The Bluetack was positioned behind the paper disc.

Rene

• Like 2