1/32: Fitting Aires GE-110 Burner Cans to the Tamiya Tomcat - Boy, am I using some putty here!

bushande

Hey gents,

I'm currently turning my circles around the modelling forum world again, just trying to gather some intel and some impressions.

I'm currently working on converting the Tamiya 1/32 Alpha Tomcat into a Delta and just fit the Aires Burners (please note, the ones explicitly for the Tamiya kit!!!) to the airframe and flamin' rod do I have to spend some proper load of putty to straighten everything out.

Did I just hit a screwed kit or can it really be that the Aires cowls are somewhat too small?
As said, I'm using the set specifically tailored for the Tamiya kit, at least that is stated on the set but it kind of feels like having to fit the stuff to a Revell kit.

Anyone who has used the Aires stuff on the Tamiya kit before willing to share his or her two cents? Would help me out a great lot.

Thanks in advance everyone.

It's Aries shrink issues. I have a set and the shrouds are too small to fit the kit. some years ago one of the guys in my club converted a Tamiya F-14A to a F-14D using the Aries GE Exhaust, but he ended up scratch building the shrouds himself and pitched the Aries parts. He moved to Virginia, but i could still ask him if there was anything else he did. It seems this is a problem with Aries in other sets too.

Many thanks for the info Mike. I appreciate it. That pretty much confirms my concerns.

It would indeed be interesting to know if your friend had any addition steps done, because I am thinking about going the same route.

Many folks seem to use the teknics set but that has some accuracy issues in my eyes.