Airfix 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire Mk1

Hi Chaps - I thought I'd document this build a little. You can find look at whats in the box here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977944-airfixs-new-spitfire-mk1-148th-scale-a-quick-in-box-look/

Mine will me a Mk 1 as flown by Adolf "Sailor" Malan ZP-A K9953 74 Sqn. There's nowt wrong with decals or marking sin the box, but for personal reasons I wanted to build Malan's aircraft, and a quick check in the decal banks shows I have the necessary transfers. Phew!

​So far the interior has had an airbrushed coat of Tamiya interior grey-green, and the wings have been assembled - with the only thing to note here is that the underside wing piece seems to need its flat 'wing tip" ends sanding back very slightly to get everything to line up with the top wing pieces.

​Also - watch the fit of the prop blades to the spinner base plates on both the DH & Rotol props. You need to orient the prop blades correctly to ensure the spinner cap fits onto small alignment grooves, and as the prop blade mounts onto a square peg it's easy to get it wrong. You soon find out as the spinner cap wont fit!! ( yes, guilty....though fortunately it was a dry fit that threw this up)

Pics to come.

Jonners

• Like 4

Number 6 tuned in and watching,.......so "carry on old bean" as Kingpin used to say!

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Budge up on the sofa there, room for a little 'un.

Fortunately I've only got a couple of Tamiya Spits in the stash, a MkI for a Bader MkII conversion, and a MkVb for a Messerspit conversion with the Fusion resin DB engine..

:popcorn:

Mrs H bought me a Tamiya Spit MkI years ago and I still haven't finished it. Intended to build Allan Wright's Dunkirk-era 'GR-S' but I this new Airfix Spit has me thinking I'll build the Tamiya OOB to get by eye back in and then splurge on the Airfix bird.

Come on, Jonners...show us what she's made of!

Doug, if there isn't room on the sofa for me, I'd be willing to slump on the floor at the collective feet of the esteemed brethren who've already claimed the front-row seats!

Ah! Nice timing. Room for one more on the viewing sofa? :popcorn: Bought one today and waiting for delivery from East Anglia now. Already interesting reading post 1.

I'll put the kettle on then shall I?

Looking forward to this one!!

DC

NATO standard please. Now who has the choccy biccies?

• Like 1