1/144th nuclear armageddon.....AVRO 730 and BAC TSR 2.

Just makes you think. All the wonderful aircraft we might have had but for the penny pinchers. Look what we were promised before 1957, and some of it could still be flying now!

But just to bring the idea up to date I heard a great comment on Radio 4 yesterday," we are a maritime nation, without any maritime patrol aircraft"!. Makes you think? ( hopefully toned down enough for the moderators)

• Like 2

My Crusty, that's a veritable compendium, nay potted companion of polycarbonate caressing pleasure as ever I've come across !, your way with the quill is quite edifying. (you remember Eddy, was in the wash for a while). We all had that extended period away from this strange pastime where other distractions such as rock music, anti establishment attitude, chemically dependant pleasure, two or four wheeled death and Heaven forbid, wimmin took precedence but once worked through the system and in our dotage we all seem to return to the fold. Come to think of it many of my early attempts at this modelling malarky did resemble lengths of snot and rope. This Eduard A Revell, (composed Revells Beluga apparently), did he happen to know Ken Etic, A Model or Kitty Hawk by any chance ? I only ask as I'm not sure if the chaps returning to Blighty following a good rogering by the dastardly Hun had fiddling with wattle and daub aeroplanes high on their bucket lists but then what do I know, the treatment of these latent modellers was atrocious..... Lincolnshire itself was known as a 'county fit for sparrows', but even that's in doubt now.....

Though rather fitting I never realized that bayonets were routinely attached to male tanks. In lieu of a barrel, hedgehog style I assume, all seems a bit desperate if you ask me. Do you have all the drawings, books, videos etc required to build an accurate replica or are you just winging it with a length of Ash and a blunt pen knife?

Nigel, quite right, the 1957 White paper effectively strangled Britain's future military aircraft industry, new contracts would only be given to merged groups, (the only one being TSR 2 and we know what happened to that).

'A maritime nation'' with very little maritime anything !.......we just look for a cheaper alternative from someone else then add stuff to it so that it ends up costing twice as much and is half as capable......and then scrap it !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Brilliant....that's all really.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, makes it worthwhile.....

Mike I really must get to grips with Photoshop and see about trying to get some of these set into realistic backdrops as you do, I think it would be a lot of fun and worth the time and effort........it's just finding that time !

Thank you for your kind words General Sah:) sorry,i found myself prattling on like an old washer woman once again, just to clarify my blunt penknife was lost in a rather unsavoury game of tiddly winks,so i have had to use Pvt Baldricks unshaven facial fuzz as sandpaper to whittle away at the ash stick!:) looking forward to your next project Sah!!:)

• Like 1

You prattle away like an old dishwasher Crust, don't mind us. The next project eh...well I think I'd better just stick to finishing a few that I've started here as and when time allows. I'll get Darling to look at the diary and let me know what I'm supposed to be doing at any time, ever............me, I don't got a clue ! :hobbyhorse:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thank you fellas,

Flash, I'll see what I can do, I haven't built the new GWH Victor yet but do have the old Corgi white di-cast loafing around somewhere which will do for comparison purposes.

Paul, yes a lot of the ground work done by Avro ended up being incorporated into that certain speedy airliner of the future. Avro, HP, Vickers, Shorts and Saunders-Roe all had serious high performance bomber proposals laid out in the fifties it's such a shame none of them came to anything, though the data gleaned proved invaluable for the development of future supersonic aircraft. I'm hoping Mel intends to produce a few more of these magnificent machines but if not then I guess it's back to the original plan of scratch-building and possible resin casting.......

As requested by Flash a couple of relative size comparison images...

Firstly a Victor B2

DSC_0151_zps5ow6jiju.jpg

Then the projected Concorde based nuclear strike bomber carrying two Grand Slam 2 stand off weapons......the Avro's payload would have been carried internally.

DSC_0152_zps7dbmphep.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5

Radders, I used the ancient Airfix kit which is of the smaller pre-production aircraft but can't see why you couldn't use the later version too....who knows where it might have gone.

Thanks Marc...Even though my beloved Speckled Jim has been callously shot out of the skies by some damn 'Flanders pigeon murderer' I shall pass on your regards at his state funeral next week.....eaten but not forgotten !

• Like 2

Great seeing them all together 1/144th is a great scale for bombers I think. Its nice to appreciate the size of them comparatively I think the 730 looks terrifying it looks so scary and futuristic I can Imagine it would make a great space ship too and also probably would not be surprised if it transformed into a Robot and started smashing everything and everyone in sight.

Scary stuff Shame it never happened. :)

• Like 1

Hello,General Melchett - Once again I salute you for the superb looking builds of these intriguing types.Amazing and fearsome - just how us enthusiasts like them !! All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,Paul glad you like it. I've always been fascinated with these proposed aircraft projects and would scratch-build a lot more if I had the time but sadly magazine and book work limit this at the moment. Being a member of the Project Cancelled sig has definite advantages too as a few of the guys there have access to amazing documentation including factory scale drawings on the types not available elsewhere.....good to hear that others are interested too.