1/144th nuclear armageddon.....AVRO 730 and BAC TSR 2.

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted anything aviation wise so here are a couple that were finished a short while ago, (only just got around to snapping them), both built as part of the Bomber Command sig's alternative future theme. The AVRO 730 is S&M's resin kit, very nicely moulded, no distortion and quite easy to work with. Not cheap but I feel you get what you pay for and who else is going to produce these monsters ! Something of the Gerry Anderson about the AVRO design, just love the periscope idea. The TSR 2 is Pit Roads little gem. The kit is so well engineered that it actually snaps together perfectly with no need of filler. Both finished in the RAF's white anti flash low viz scheme of the early sixties airbrushed using decanted Halfords appliance white plus leveller with panels finished in four different shades of white from Vallejo and Mr Hobby, decals from the spares box......the 730 is XM755 of 'A' flight, 57 squadron, RAF Honington and the TSR 2 XS990 of 9 squadron RAF Scampton.

In a similar vein I'm hoping to scratchbuild a resin Handley-Page HP.100, Vickers R.156T and Saunder-Roe P.188/2 to go with them at some point, (unless of course Mel comes up with the goodies in the meanwhile, and preferably in 1/72nd scale !).....

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie...

DSC_0338_zpsuopr1d4x.jpg

DSC_0342_zpszoe8t7ea.jpg

DSC_0343_zpswper8it3.jpg

DSC_0344_zpstvb82ftw.jpg

DSC_0340_zpsxb00nheu.jpg

The 730 was a monster at nearly 160 feet long and weighing in at 146 tons. Eight powerful P.176 reheated turbojets rated at a total of 112,000 lbs thrust were to power it to Mach 2.5+ at 70,000 feet. Designed to serve as both strategic bomber and reconnaissance platform it was sadly cancelled in 1957. A highly advanced design, possibly too advanced in retrospect and way before the SR-71, (which had broadly similar performance) it would have proved a powerful asset.

DSC_0315_zpsrojxpxpt.jpg

The two together awaiting orders to reduce some large part of the Soviet Union to its component parts...

DSC_0334_zpsdjiz2vzu.jpg

DSC_0333_zpsezigbp7e.jpg

F.A.B....

DSC_0328_zpskdhyg508.jpg

• Like 44

Iteresting looking machine, and nicely modelled too :goodjob:

(and it does look like something from Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet! :) )

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Andy. I enjoyed seeing them both in the Flesh at Telford. The 730 would have been a beast.

I like the TSR-2 in its in service white scheme with the Radome blacked out. Looks very mean.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, I appreciate the comments as ever. The 730 was indeed a beast and even more so in its earlier guise when the engines were mounted in vertical pods at the extreme wing tips, was heavier and even longer, the size was determined by both the type of weapons to be carried and the P.176 engine size and as smaller nukes became available so the size and therefore weigh was reduced. It always reminded me of a scaled up Bristol T.188 and indeed several of these were ordered to test the P.176's in high speed flight but none were ever built as the project was cancelled.

Did the 730 really have no windows?

Yep, it had a 'wide angle' periscope controlled viewing system in lieu of a more conventional cockpit windscreen as a streamlining exercise to reduce drag at the projected speeds that the aircraft was designed to fly at, (Mach 3 dash). A good proportion of the flight was to be computer managed in conjunction with an early fly by wire system and hence only a crew of two, pilot and navigator who would sit side by side were needed. but the thought of a manually controlled approach in poor visibility with high gusts would have been interesting at best and darn right dangerous at worst.

• Like 2

I should have pointed out that the sticky-uppy pole thing at the front end of the 730 is the periscope in its deployed position. It's height was determined by the angle of vision at a certain range and fully adjustable.

Hmmm imagine Fireflash in RAF colours....

Funny you should mention that !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

I should have pointed out that the sticky-uppy pole thing at the front end of the 730 is the periscope in its deployed position. It's height was determined by the angle of vision at a certain range and fully adjustable.

Funny you should mention that !

I hope you do that one mate :)

• Like 1

Thanks again all, I'm just glad that so many of you agree that these fantastic machines look so cool. Funnily enough the 730 was probably the most conservative of the then new super bomber designs, the Saunders-Roe machine was really far out ! And one that I'm going to have to go for. I applaud Mel for producing these models and really chuffed that he has more planned including the amazing Supermarine 559 in 1/72nd..... now that really did have have Derek Meddings written all over it...

Rob, never say never......got some VC10 MR and AEW projects to sort out first...

Neil, cheers mate, wasn't sure how the 'what-if' stuff would go down at first but it seems they are almost as popular as our real world models which is great as these were all designs that could well have seen service with Bomber Command had things been a bit different....

• Like 2

...the thought of a manually controlled approach in poor visibility with high gusts would have been interesting at best and darn right dangerous at worst.

That, or:

Nav: "It's no good. DIvert to RAF Minton."

Pilot: "Soddation."

Lovely models of very interesting subjects, and thank you for putting that unbelievable 730 on my radar. I'd never heard of it.

• Like 2

Thanks Keef, appreciate that, (and your prompt attendance on parade), Take off would have been an interesting, smoky and painfully noisy affair, not sure about the turning circle, probably measured within county borders rather than within airfield boundaries .......mind you the high speed pass with full power climb out at the end of the routine would have been something to behold !

• Like 1

Take off would have been an interesting, smoky and painfully noisy affair, not sure about the turning circle, probably measured within county borders rather than within airfield boundaries

Just like a B-52 then....!!

Thanks Gween fella, agree...diversion diversions would probably have been high on the flight plan checklist on just about every flight.

If you like this then you need to check out the great 'British Secret Projects' books by Tony Buttler and Chris Gibson particularly 'jet bombers since 1949'...it's full of amazing designs from the glory days of the fifties and sixties, well worth checking out.