Dornier Do 17Z-2 1/72 Airfix

Hi folks,

this is the new Airfix kit built as I./KG2 machine from Greece, 1941.

The kit is OOB except home made seat belts, Quickboost mg's barrels and Peewit canopy masks. The decals are combination of Superscale and Techmod sheets.

In my opinion this the kit is a bit overengineered with odd instruction building sequences and only average surface details, but still worth bulding.

The full build report will appear in coming Valint Wings Airframe/Detail No.2 book.

Cheers

Libor

Do17Z_02_zpsyxrcmgu4.jpg

Do17Z_01_zpswpq3e6ji.jpg

Do17Z_03_zpsqctr7zny.jpg

• Like 30

how nice is that! I like it a lot. Very nice and clean build. Well done.

A question: which Quickboost gun barrel set did you use? I can't find one on Hannants for the Do17Z.

TIA.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for comments chaps!

Duncan: I struggled with the photos too and after a lot of trials with different cameras and lights I ended up with DSLR D5200 with 18-105 lens, 100cm x 100cm phototent and three 5500K lights. Prices of photo equipment dropped a lot recently, so you can get via webshops professional equipment without ruining your budget.

Charlie: if you meant the dipoles of the FuBI2 system under the fuselage, these were scratch built from Evergreen stock and Albion Alloys tubing.

Michael: I used those for He 111, the MG15's were the same. I guess QB will release them soon... :-)

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1

Thanks for comments chaps!

Duncan: I struggled with the photos too and after a lot of trials with different cameras and lights I ended up with DSLR D5200 with 18-105 lens, 100cm x 100cm phototent and three 5500K lights. Prices of photo equipment dropped a lot recently, so you can get via webshops professional equipment without ruining your budget.

Charlie: if you meant the dipoles of the FuBI2 system under the fuselage, these were scratch built from Evergreen stock and Albion Alloys tubing.

Michael: I used those for He 111, the MG15's were the same. I guess QB will release them soon... :-)

Cheers

Libor

Thanks Libor - I guess so too. Cheers, Michael

Looks great Libor! I'm sure it's a quantum leap over the old Frog/Monogram kits (I am clearing out my stash but these 2 kits seem to be doing a great evasion job from being purged) and a lot easier than any ICM offering.

By the way, do you add the Quickboost barreles after masking and painting? I've always wondered about the best process for building all the German aircraft with guns sticking out of all the transparencies. If you do, what glue do you use?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, definitely the best Do 17Z, although I'm convinced with halve parts the result would be the same without compromising the level of detail.

The QB barrels are attached at the very and of the build with regular cyano acrylate; I glued inside only the mg's bodies before cementing the transparencies. Btw the instructions suggest to install the ventral gun through the assembled cockpit - a kind of job for a "ship in the glass" builder:-)

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1