DarkStar Mettalic paints 21 shades and nice !

robvulcan

Hi I have recently been using to me what is a new brand of metallic acrylic paint and a very good one.

It's acrylic, brush able from the bottle which is the Vallejo style with a BB in too !,

Very fine pigmentation and buffable in 21 shades !,

Good in the AB too apparently. I highly suggest you check out DarkStar Molten Metal paints they're really useful to have in your arsenal of paints.

http://www.darkstarmini.co.uk/paints.html

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 3

I will post some samples later on. I only use mettalics on a brush for small areas usually. I have been impressed with these for the range and how they perform in a similar way to old citadel metallics.

It was at Telford I found these guys nice people two stalls away from ours. The steel colous where what got my interest. They had sold out of steel but I got bright and tarnished steel and very impressed with them.

• Like 2

These paints look very promising. Do you think their shades would work well for a natural metal finished aircraft model ?

Pity that until now they don't have any distributor in my country, I'd have tried a few immediately

Well thats all down to taste but they looked incredible to me on the figurines that where on display, There site features some models that have been made and they are looking for submissions. The various shade could produce a spectacular panel varied effect. I guess you could always mix them up too for extra fun. I have found they look great under gloss and matt varnishes too.

Right then, There is a great thing about this paint its thin and takes a good while to dry you have plenty of work time. It works best brushing it in light coats and building it up, I have tried dry brushing, Somewhere between normal and dry brushing, Putting it on quite liberally and dabbing at it, All which work and its very forgiving. I do think it would be great in an Airbrush but as mine lacks a Compressor still I can't really show that yet. But I hope to get one in the near future.

I took my parts and sprayed them with some Humbrol Tank Grey from the rattle can.

6BDB45CC-52F5-48C3-9244-673C79F64680_zps

47B1291F-ED4A-4879-B3AC-755F53C0411F_zps

B88F05DC-09B3-41D1-86ED-489797060664_zps

The bottle makes it easy to dispense a little at a time I imagine this is great If you have an airbrush.

8117F882-6B0A-4C68-B14F-666CB9CC9C9E_zps

F7E7968F-79FF-4AD1-9A5D-B4152129321D_zps

I started with a very thin coat I used the Bright steel on the ECM cone and the Tarnished steel on the Turbines and Wheels. Its highly reflective paint and having used some on some engine faces on My frog Vulcan too I can say it looks nice and still very reflective under a matt varnish.

0FBFB49E-AE5D-41FB-A201-74CB6DAC608F_zps

11B5084E-00E5-40D9-AB66-618BF466B634_zps

This Frog Vulcan is about 50 years old and I bought it unfinished so I am doing that, I have spent the last year scratching and casting the intakes in resin and the engines at the back, This is the first copy and I painted the turbines with the Tarnished steel which has a nice yellowy tinge to it. These have been matt varished but as you can see still shine.

32C2C8D9-EC2F-45E8-9300-5DF1D454FF55_zps

C9A0D8DC-737D-47B4-A68A-E43C3927117E_zps

This is without the Flash.

24799BCD-114F-4B30-8F33-051DA97743E9_zps

After a few more coats and not being particularly careful with it we have this, Very shiny thats for sure.

E3E63BC3-3961-4C15-A272-37B3593F2EF1_zps

I will now do some washes on the turbines and wheels, Then try them under a matt and gloss varnish.

• Like 4

Looks like an interesting range have had an email this evening from them about stocking the range.

Paul

Looks like an interesting range have had an email this evening from them about stocking the range.

Paul

That is good new Paul. They will be at Cosford I think. Looking forward to picking some supplies up from you guys if your there.

Cheers Roger and Baggers I will update shortly. They are undoubtedly highly useful paints and I think they need some support form the modelling community being a new Brand and supplying such a range of useful colours. It's a tonal feast I am just dreaming the effects of feathering these with an Airbrush to creat a visual extravaganza on an airframe. I will be buying some more when I get to Cosford that's for sure. They are highly reflective paints that I like.

The work time is also wonderfull.

Ok so here I gave the wheels and Turbines a heavy wash of Thin black Revell Aqua paint.

F42CE175-D3A8-41F9-8714-00B8145102C1_zps

Then I sprayed some Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish from the rattle can.

4257F8E7-F444-4CB4-8F19-E385CA4A6270_zps

As you can see the shine or reflectiveness stays under a matt coat which is nice, Even under the deliberately heavy wash it still catches the eye, Perhaps more so.

• Like 1

I think that the results would be even better If I had laid down a gloss black coat over the primer then buffed to a shine and then Airbrushed the DarkStar paint. I will have to try that, I might use my Tamiya 100th scale Lightning of Viggen as a test of this. That will have to wait a bit though.

Perhaps if any of you who have bought some of this stuff who use Airbrushes could post some samples here too.

This looks really promising Rob, thanks for taking those snaps and your mini review!

No problem just thought everyone here should know about them as they are a bit different to the norm from what I have seen.

Do you have a connection with these chaps Rob? have you tried spraying them at all? :hmmm:

No Connection Mike. No payment for doing this either. When I was at Telford they where 2 stalls away from the Snow one. At the end me and General Melchett had a look at the stall and I tried brushing some and liked them so I bought these to try.

The other day I wondered if anyone else out there was using them and the Google search only returned their site so I had a read and found that they where a very new brand. So I took it upon myself to expose them here as they seem like nice people and I have not seen such an extensive range of Metallic Acrylics before and thought they would be useful to people on here.

I have not Tried them in an AB yet as mine is currently out of action but I hear with about 10% water they are great. I think they would be great in an AB though I also recon it would be best over a black smooth surface.

All the best Rob :)