Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

It appears to be an error in the Pima example.  It has no engine and does not have original structure (not all, at least) under the cowl.  According to Will, the downthrust angle measured by the scan is approximately 4 degrees, while their scan of Duxford's Mk.24 was approximately 2 degrees.  Someone also provided him with a GA drawing of the XIX which confirmed 2 degrees.  As far as I know, all Griffon Spitfires/Seafires had the 2 degree angle.

The important point here, I think, is that they did their homework, came up with "something that makes you go 'Hmm'", and asked for more information. 

Thanks all who contributed to the discussion,

bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spitfire prop cross section from an oopsie. 

No idea as to the vintage of this prop. Is this an original I wonder?

*if* reddit is to be believed, looks like it is from an incident that happened  last year thereabouts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/1cc7oh9/through_an_unfortunate_incident_i_got_to_see_what/?sort=new

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

A Question if I may regarding the fuel hose connection to the 44/45? gallon 'cigar' shaped drop tanks.

I understand that these drop tanks were modified from the ones used on the Hurricane and Typhoon aircraft.

In the fuel connection diagrams for Hurricane and Typhoon aircraft, they show two connection lines to the top of the drop tank centre 'cap', one being labelled 'Fuel pipe' and the other 'air pressure'.

I'm guessing that they used air pressure to get fuel to flow?

On the Spit underside, however, and in the books I've got on it, I can only see a single connection for the fuel itself.

This seems to apply to the slipper tanks as well.

Am I right in thinking then that Spits didn't need an 'air pressure' line to the drop tanks? Just the fuel pipe?

Here's the famous photo of the tank adapted for beer, with the two 'hose' connector points seen on the top of the tank, blanked off.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205265388

Here's one of tanks ready for use on an airfield. My eyes can see a single pipe coming up to the mounting bracket on these?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205452655

This might help:

main-qimg-00154a5d4cc0d021015b23e92912de

It looks like the Merlin's fuel pump was powerful enough to haul fuel all the way up from the bottom of the drop tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian, yes, if that diagram is showing that there’s only a need for the one fuel line connector, for that tank,  then I don’t see why it would have to be different for another, thanks.

Just some more thoughts again on the 44/45 gallon drop tanks on the Spitfire IX that were in use around D-Day 80 years ago.

I did see a thread once on here asking about the mounting connections for these, but I can't find it for the life of me at the moment. Anyway, from looking closely at the photos I linked to above,

I can see what look to be 'cut-outs' on the 'leading edge' bar of the drop tank bracket, with a small block of 'guiding edge' attached adjacent and just inboard of the 'cut-outs'?

Looking at these and the mounting points in Monforton, I'm thinking that they mounted at the front end as in this rough sketch (that's not to scale) and used the standard jettison pin connector

at the rear of the bracket (they'd jettison by releasing the pin at rear and the front would just drop out when not held forward by the pin).

The drawing on page 149 of Morgan and Shacklady's 'Spitfire the history' has a similar arrangement.

spacer.png

I've been interested in these tanks for some years and did try to find plans but I got as far as finding a reference to drawings 'CAD 43238/1' and 4 and the 'SAG 590' series drawings?

If anyone comes across these, I'd be very grateful to have a look.

Apart from that, I found that the tanks were listed as 84" long by a 15" diameter and the ones made by Vickers were of 'tinned steel'.

I did find a reference at the National Archives once saying they were going to use 22G steel for the retaining bands.

I've been doing some alterations to an Airfix 24th scale drop tank from the Hawker Typhoon (blending with a 48th scale F-15E tank, etc.), to change dimensions/shape as here:

spacer.png

One thing I'd noted from the Spitfire 'Beer carrying tank' photo linked to previously, was that the front band was positioned forward of the raised edges on the tank itself and I have thought this would be down to the different positions for the mounting points on the wings of Typhoon and Hurricane?

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone knows what the mounting brackets were made from please (or to hear anyone's best guess for this)?

Thanks Bob.