Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

There are multiple sources of above-ambient air pressure available on every Spitfire. In addition to ram air, all the systems are pneumatic, driven by a Heywood compressor. There is also a completely separate vacuum pump for the gyro instruments, which by its nature has a high pressure side pushing air away from its vacuum side.

Why not? It's a low point on the airframeand not far from the centreline, also in the right sort of place fore-and-aft.  And having the small, delicate vent effectively protected by the physical form of the rad housing makes it a lot less vulnerable to general bashes from ground handling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Work In Progress @Graham Boak Yes the decision to place the vent in the radiator may be as simple as you described. Anyway I think the answer is clear based on Charlies's @Johnson original question as to the purpose of the fixture ahead of the radiator.  Another image I picked up somewhere sitting in my files:

Spitfire MkI Fuel System

Ray

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The text would have saved a fair few postings!

Yes, I agree. I tend to file things I find of interest when looking for something else and then think after, when a question comes up, "I have that somewhere. Now where is it?" 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Anyway I think the answer is clear based on Charlies's @Johnson original question as to the purpose of the fixture ahead of the radiator.

Yes, I have a very in-depth answer to my original question, quite a rabbit hole, but a worthy one that has increased our collective knowledge of the Spitfire once again.

Thanks everyone, I shall include a little bent pipe in front of the radiator 40.2mm from the centreline of the model (1/24 Airfix Spitfire), which also accords to the photos I have.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I just examined new 1/48 Mk.II from Eduard. There are weird things I found. Also still exist question about K-shape reinforcements inside main wheel wells of cannon wing. I haven't found any appropriate explanation on them yet. Eduard staff suppose that these K-shape ribs strictly connected with cannon wing. Obviously, they are wrong judging by Mk.Ia P9444 port wheel well. Of course, her portside wing might came from any Mk.Ia/IIa/Va, but it has normal 4 machine gun configuration. I suspect that it may be Castle Bromwich feature, because of initial difference in wheel well internal stiffener types for Supermarine and CBAF airframes. Does anybody help me there?

50914213212_052dce0240_b.jpgmist

50914282487_a5c452330c_c.jpgSpit016

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Could have sword I'd asked this before in this thread but apparently not, I have the new tool 1/72 Revell MkV hanging around that I purchased for the decals, well aware that kit has issues, what can be done to salvage a decent MkVb or otherwise from it? 

Just to show that you're not THAT forgetful: (I'm not familiar with the kit- I try very hard to avoid getting sucked into 1/72 Spits, just because I've got quite enough to keep up with in 48th and 32nd!)

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:05 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Could have sword I'd asked this before in this thread but apparently not, I have the new tool 1/72 Revell MkV hanging around that I purchased for the decals, well aware that kit has issues, what can be done to salvage a decent MkVb or otherwise from it? 

My suggestion: build it as it is to practice some new painting technique !

The kit can be improved with parts from other kits, but this is a valid solution only if you do have these other kits.... The canopy in particular is not easy to replace, none of the vacuform ones I have seem to fit. It should be said that the appearance can be improved a bit with some careful sanding, I have to dig my Mk.II and see what I did (model not completed yet).

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

My suggestion: build it as it is to practice some new painting technique !

The kit can be improved with parts from other kits, but this is a valid solution only if you do have these other kits.... The canopy in particular is not easy to replace, none of the vacuform ones I have seem to fit. It should be said that the appearance can be improved a bit with some careful sanding, I have to dig my Mk.II and see what I did (model not completed yet).

Ah, ok, dug the kit out anyway, think I could get the airfix mkI/II/Va canopy to fit with some surgery,  built a Va, Vb and Vc from the airfix kit before so if its wrong for a five its not a dealbreaker 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 1 month later...

I have a few silly Spitfire questions, due to limited knowledge....

My plan is to build a cannon armed, clipped wing, Vc. 

Taking the Revell 1/32 Spit Mk IIa and the Mk IX, how hard would it be to build a Vc ?

Which Wing parts would I need ?

Would the Vc have the larger cannon bulge ?

What about the prop ? 3 blade or 4 blade ?

Any other info would be useful, thanks !!

30 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have a few silly Spitfire questions, due to limited knowledge....

My plan is to build a cannon armed, clipped wing, Vc. 

Taking the Revell 1/32 Spit Mk IIa and the Mk IX, how hard would it be to build a Vc ?

Which Wing parts would I need ?

Would the Vc have the larger cannon bulge ?

What about the prop ? 3 blade or 4 blade ?

Any other info would be useful, thanks !!

I believe depending on when & where the cannon bulges could be either wide or slim and wether it had one or two cannons. Three blade prop for sure, the four blades didn't come in until later marks. Though the Seafire III did use the four blade and was a direct correlation to the Vc so can be a bit confusing unless you know your looking at a Seafire. Though someone like @Troy Smith or @Graham Boak could confirm or add to this as I am far from the expert on this. 

• Thanks 1

The wing and undercarriage from the Mk.IX, but the oil cooler from the Mk.IIa (probably, it might be a bit small) instead of one of the radiators.

Almost certainly the wide cannon blister - is that on the Revell Mk.IX or not?

3 blade prop, but a different spinner.  The Revell Mk.IX one might do for some Mk.Vc. 

However, this will depend upon exactly which one you want to do.  Some Mk.Vc even had the six-a-side exhausts from the Mk.IX,

Clipped wing Mk.Vc are fairly uncommon in themselves.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe depending on when & where the cannon bulges could be either wide or slim and wether it had one or two cannons. Three blade prop for sure, the four blades didn't come in until later marks. Though the Seafire III did use the four blade and was a direct correlation to the Vc so can be a bit confusing unless you know your looking at a Seafire. Though someone like @Troy Smith or @Graham Boak could confirm or add to this as I am far from the expert on this. 

29 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The wing and undercarriage from the Mk.IX, but the oil cooler from the Mk.IIa (probably, it might be a bit small) instead of one of the radiators.

Almost certainly the wide cannon blister - is that on the Revell Mk.IX or not?

3 blade prop, but a different spinner.  The Revell Mk.IX one might do for some Mk.Vc. 

However, this will depend upon exactly which one you want to do.  Some Mk.Vc even had the six-a-side exhausts from the Mk.IX,

Clipped wing Mk.Vc are fairly uncommon in themselves.

So, I believe I can use the lower wing from the IIa, and the upper wing from the IX, sanded, filled, described as needed, and the cannon bulges scratched...

Would the Vc have the upper wing wheel bulge, and the smaller cannon bulge on the lower wing ?

The spinner, I’m pretty sure I can fill the four blade IX openings, and cut to 3 blade...

I think the MkIX canopy section would replace the MkIIA canopy, right ?

Edited by Longbow

Allowing for the changes in the panels, openings etc, you perhaps could use the lower wing from the Mk.II.  Judge which option would be the most work.  The radiator housing should be deeper on the Mk.IX so use that.

No, the Mk,Vc does not have the lower cannon bulge, nor the inboard wheel bulge by the wing root - but that isn't on the Mk.IX anyway.

Yes, you are right about the canopy, the windscreen anyway,  I'm not absolutely sure that all Mk.Vc had the bulged canopy, but think it a fairly safe bet.

Just check whether the aircraft you are modelling has the short DH spinner and thin blades or the longer Rotol spinner and broad blades.  I presume the Mk.II kit has the early (nearly) hemispherical Rotol spinner.  The Aussie ones had the DH spinner and prop.  Elsewhere it varied more.

• Thanks 1

@Longbow

The lower Mk IIa wing won't work for a Vc, unless you move the inboard .303mg out one rib space, IIRC; you would also need to fill the IIa case ejector slot and re-cut a new one in the outboard location. As Graham said, the IIa oil cooler is most likely too small for a Vc. The IX prop blades are the wrong shape/chord for a Vc and maybe the spinner, too- especially if your subject had the blunt DH spinner and prop; maybe you could steal a Rotol or DH prop and spinner from another Spitfire or Hurricane kit, depending on which prop and spinner the Vc you want to model had installed. You would also want the windscreen with the internally mounted armor glass, as the IIa had the external type, IIRC. Lots of different ways to skin this cat!

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Quick question regarding propellers on Mk.I-Mk.V Merlin powered Spitfires.

In the absence of photographic evidence, is there a way to find out which airframes' were fitted with a Rotol or a de Havilland propeller?

TIA

Edited by Tony C

58 minutes ago, Tony C said:

Quick question regarding propellers on Mk.I-Mk.V Merlin powered Spitfires.

In the absence of photographic evidence, is there a way to find out which airframes' were fitted with a Rotol or a de Havilland propeller?

TIA

If you mean by a serial number list or some such, no. At least, not in Morgan and Shacklady.

• Like 1

A quick and pretty good ruling is that Supermarine aircraft had DH props and Castle Bromwich built aircraft had Rotols.  So yes, you can go by the serials as it is well known which factories built which batch.  Of course this does not allow for the inevitable exception, either in production or later in service.  There was also a batch of Mk.Is fitted with Rotol magnesium props, which equipped at least one squadron at the time of Dunkirk.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

A quick and pretty good ruling is that Supermarine aircraft had DH props and Castle Bromwich built aircraft had Rotols.  So yes, you can go by the serials as it is well known which factories built which batch.  

which for the uninitiated can be found here http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/production.html

• Like 2